How dressy is too dressy for the CAPTAIN'S BALL??

I've seen everything. On the Caribbean cruises it looks to me more casual. A lot of cocktail dresses, many maxi dresses and a few formal dresses. It seemed on our Victory cruise that the 20 somethings were vying to see who could wear the most mini of mini dresses. I was always taught formal dresses were full length, cocktail dresses were shorter, but mini dresses were for clubbing or partying, not formal or semi formal occasions.

I only say that to point out that many people don't look at it as a formal or semi formal event, only a "dress up" party and that often means clubbing outfits.

The other one I saw a lot was the maxi dresses with although full length, are more summer casual wear.

In Europe they dressed up a bit more, but that could have been all the Europeans that were on board. They seemed to be dressed better all the time - no cargo shorts or jeans, but nice outfits.

What are most wearing to a Captain's Ball now? Cocktail dress or long formal dress? Should my DH be in a suit/tie or khakis and a button up?

I would say about 10/20 percent wear gowns. The majority of women wear cocktail dresses on Carnival. (sometimes even a tee shirt...lol)

Your hubby (if he can, would look and fit in much nicer with a tie on)

What are most wearing to a Captain's Ball now? Cocktail dress or long formal dress? Should my DH be in a suit/tie or khakis and a button up?

You really see very few long dresses now.....I think weight limits at the airport caused a lot of this. You will see some ladies very dressy, some in slacks and nice tops and some more towards the casual side. Things have changed a lot.

I personally don't care what someone has on as long as it is decent and not sloppy. Others on these boards feels if someone is not "properly" dressed (by their definition) their whole meal is ruined...:rolleyes:

If you want to dress up I say go for it and enjoy your cruise!!!

It's only a Captain's meeting, no ball. They don't do the party they used to where you could dance, drink.

I've gone to the atrium at the appointed time and never saw the Captain or other staff. Drinks are $1 off. Not what it used to be.

It's only a Captain's meeting, no ball. They don't do the party they used to where you could dance, drink.

I've gone to the atrium at the appointed time and never saw the Captain or other staff. Drinks are $1 off. Not what it used to be.

OH! Thank you for the clarification. I had no idea what the OP was talking about. I haven't seen the Captain's anything in years.

OP, if you're talking about elegant night, you won't see many people dressed up anymore. It used to be gowns or cocktail dresses and tuxes or suits. Nowadays, most tend to just dress up a bit. Lots of women in dresses (some cocktail dresses) and slacks. Men in slacks and button-down shirts with (and often without) a tie.

He is very hard to find among all of photographer's backdrops! It has turned into a HUGE photo op to sell overpriced portraits.

OP - dress as you wish - fancy of not - its your cruise. You will see everything on "cruise elegant" night.

What is the Captain's Ball?? I've been on 7 Carnival cruises and never heard of it...

Thats what I was thinking.

Maybe they mean the night you can go up on promenade deck and if you are lucky shake hands with the captain.

OP this is Carnival .. you do NOT need to hardly dress up unless you want to.

Thanks everyone! I think I will wear a black cocktail dress and my DH will wear slacks, a button down & a tie. Sorry I referred to it as the Captain's Ball...should've said elegant night. We may just skip it all together and eat on the Lido deck! Haha Can't wait to be a Bahama Mama in 41 days!! Woohoo!!

Archived