5 people in a stateroom

lovemy3girls

My husband and I cruise every winter with our 2 daughters and up until we haven't had a problem. Well, we just welcomed another little girl to our family and became a family of 5. We can not find a cruise line that will accommodate 5 people in one stateroom. The cruise people suggest we either get a suite (which is waaay too expensive) or split up and get a room that connects (which we really don't want to do).

Does anyone know a cruise line that will allow 5 people in a room?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You have come to the right place. Carnival ships built prior to 2000 will accommodate five in a cabin. These include all of the Fantasy class ships, Destiny and Triumph, and I think one more, not sure. the new Carnival Dream will have some cabins for five. I believe there are some lines with family cabins that will hold five, but not sure who...Others here will have the definitive info for you. Note that at least with Carnival, you cannot book a cabin for five online, you have to call...EM

Connecting rooms open into 1 room, sort of...and you get the benefit of an added bathroom! (a a tad of privacy for mom and dad!!) You don't have to go into the hall to access the other room---it's right there, and the door can remain open if you choose. It's usually a cheaper option than a "family suite"....

Most (maybe all, but I don't know) of RCI's ships have Family Oceanview Staterooms that will accomodate 5. It's not the same as the Royal Family Suite, RFS, which is a full suite with the price that goes with it. It has one bathroom, a bed and sleeping area for the adults, a sitting area for everyone, and a small "room" with bunks for the children. I'm positive there are some pix available, but I'm not sure where. I believe that RCI's Freedom class ships have Family Inside Staterooms, which I'm guessing are similar in design, but perhaps a tad smaller.

beachchick

Some RCCL ships have FI - family interior rooms that will accommodate 5. I know the Freedom class has both FI and FO. FI's are cheaper than FO's (family oceanviews) if cost is a factor. Both FI's and FO's are about 300+ sq feet and some have separate bedrooms with a bunk bed situation :)

We are sialing on the Freedom soon and I plan to check these room layouts out just in case they would work for us in the future.

Dont be dissuaded by what you see online if it says "call for availability". They always want people to call in to make the reservation because they want to ensure that more than 4 people book these types of rooms.

For now we are booked in a connecting D1/L on the Voyager for the spring. This actually ended up being $200 less than stuffing 4 into a D1. My point is, dont forget to check out all possible room configurations - FO's, FI's, connecting staterooms, etc.

Happy sailing!

Hello,

I just got back from a Carnival cruise and we had 5 in a room. It had a king bed that fit me, my hubby and my 2 year old comfortably. then it had 2 bunks that pulled out...one above our bed and one on the opposite side. I think I have a pic....

cruise226.jpg

you can see that we had an oceanview..but my friends had an inside cabin with 5 also and it was the exact same way. Carnival had said that we could have a crib or a rollaway bed for my 2 year old..but we saved room by having him sleep with us. Have fun!!

Hello,

I just got back from a Carnival cruise and we had 5 in a room. It had a king bed that fit me, my hubby and my 2 year old comfortably. then it had 2 bunks that pulled out...one above our bed and one on the opposite side. I think I have a pic....

cruise226.jpg

you can see that we had an oceanview..but my friends had an inside cabin with 5 also and it was the exact same way. Carnival had said that we could have a crib or a rollaway bed for my 2 year old..but we saved room by having him sleep with us. Have fun!!

Holy Cramped Spaces Batman!:eek:

Hello,

cruise226.jpg

Just curious which ship you were on and did you have a great time???

Just curious which ship you were on and did you have a great time???

We were on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. We did the 5 day to Progresso and Cozumel. We had a blast..best vacation I have ever been on. It was also our first cruise, so i had nothing to compare it to. I am not a picky person and I can find fun things to do anywhere I go, so we could have gone around in circles and I would have had a good time. Now the space was a little tight, but we worked it out and we were in our room quite a bit b/c my 2 year old needed his naps. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night was a little tricky, b/c I had to remember that the bunk was there...I only hit my head once..which is a great accomplishment for me!!

We just came off the Triumph on August 15th and we are a family of 5. We chose to get two staterooms with an ajoining door b/c we were warned of how small ship cabins are. (I was a first-time cruiser.) First, we were pleasantly surprised. The cabins were huge! There were two twin beds (the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on!) pushed together and a large sofa which I assume opened up. I think we could have easily been comfortable in there with 5 people (well, two of them are quite small and don't take up much room). Compared to the picture an earlier posted posted, our cabin looks like it was much bigger.

Having said all that, the price differential between one cabin and two was only about $600. I'm not saying that it's not a lot of money, but we figured it was about $100 per day to have an extra bathroom and a lot more space. Had I known how large the staterooms were, we may have saved the money. But it was luxurious to be able to spread out and not have to fight over the bathroom. The doors between the two rooms were always open so we were quite comfortable having our two older children sleep in the other room and the baby sleep in bed with us or in a crib in our room.

ETA: For the record, we had an oceanview cabin on the Main deck. The inside cabins across the way looked much smaller.

Congrats on your new daughter.

We are sailing Carnival Dream in one of their family oceanview rooms that sleep 5 and have a 1.5 baths. Since its a new ship that isnt quite done yet nobody can really say how it will be. First sailing is next month.

We are sailing with my parents and they would have taken one of our kids in their room but after finding out the price of the family cabin we decided to let the grandparents have their own space. Its costing us under 2500 for our family of 5 for the week.

We too have cruised before and cruised with kids. This will be our first cruise with 3 vs. 2 but I figure our kids are little yet and we know we just have to pack differently. I dont need the extra space.

Hello,

cruise226.jpg

We have done quads on the Fantasy class ships, never a quint. If you keep the lower beds seperated there is enough room for the steward to put the rollaway in the middle. We once had a small pallet size rollaway that stored under the bed during the day. (That was for a triple that became a quad.)

I've been researching this myself, but for Europe/Mediterranean cruises - wow, is it ever hard! The best deal is the family promenade stateroom on the Royal Carribean (Freedom, Independence, Liberty) or family interior stateroom (Allure, Enchantment, Freedom, Indepenedence, Liberty, Oasis) - but they don't cruise in Europe until after April 25, and we have March and April available only. There have to be more ships out there that will accomodate our family of 5. Anyone know about Costa, MSC, or Norweigian - I can't find the info on their websites? Goodluck!

We went on the Conquest last year with two of my kiddos in a similar room to the above posted pic. It was fantastic, we had NO space issues. It may have been a little cramped, but we were on deck 10 (Panorama on Carnival) and just under the spa. The boys could go upstairs to shower/ change in the locker room if needed. We slept in our room and played elsewhere! Our steward was fantastic. He put the top bunks up every morning while we had breakfast and turned them down in the evenings when we went to dinner. That truly helped us feel MUCH less cramped. We enjoyed it SO MUCH that we are going again with ALL THREE kids next October in the SAME suite (on the Triumph) with a rollaway bed for my youngest. Why spend all the money on a room when you're just there to sleep? My kids spent their time at Camp Carnival, the pool and eating! They still talk about it all the time and we can't wait to go again! We also saved $$ by bringing our own soda and keeping it cold in our room fridge (which we had our steward empty upon arrival), which means they had soda, but it wasn't unlimited... the ice cream was, though ;)

photo.php?pid=30413379&id=1009338241

We had a FANTASTIC time and if you are laid back and determined to have an awesome time, YOU WILL!

• 3 months later...

Carnival allows 5 in a stateroom and my AAA travel agent told me they're the only line that does on the baja california cruise we were going on this time. You have to book the four bunk room (2 uppers 2 lowers) and they'll bring in a rollaway bed when you ask. She said they're good about bringing it late if you want and getting it out of there as soon as you want in the morning. I've cruised paying for two cabins (Hawaii) and we really didn't spend that much time in there - so this next time we're going to cram all five of us in one - the shower/bathroom time will be interesting, but it's saving me a bundle!

...that Royal Caribben also allows one additional passenger over their max per cabin IF that passenger is under 2 and in a crib. For example, if a stateroom has a max of 4 passengers, then you can add a baby/toddler if he/she is under 2 for a total of 5 passengers. This example applies to most, if not all, of their staterooms (insides, outsides, suites). I hope this helps. :) And congrats on your "new" addition (a few months late!).

• 2 weeks later...

I took a 3-day Carnival cruise to Ensenada (Carnival Elation) to introduce my kids to a cruise. I wanted to make sure they enjoyed it and didn't get sick the whole time. It was me, my wife, my 2 boys (5 & 9) and my neice (14) at the time. We had the 2 twins converted into a queen and the 2 bunks above folded up during the day. The cabin steward brought a metal cot like bed that fit at the foot of the queen and below the bunk. It was left there the entire time. We spent very little time in the room so being cramped didn't bother us at all since all we really did in there was sleep and shower.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also a family of 5 with 3 daughters! We had the same problem trying to book one room without paying for a suite. We will be sailing the Carnival Inspiration on a 5 day out of Tampa. The Dream does not accomodate 5 as a previous poster suggested. I called Carnival and it has to do with new Coast Guard regulations. Apparently the older ships were grandfathered in but the new ships can only accomodate 4 people max. Congrats on your new daughter and good luck finding the right cruise!:)

Would it be possible if you only had 4 people in your cabin to have a pullman and then a cot at the foot of the bed? I think we would be okay on space but I would prefer not to have a pullman over my head.

Unless you have a suite, there won't be room at the foot of the bed for a cot. There's usually just a couple of feet max between the foot of the bed and the wall. Look for a cabin with a sleeper sofa instead of pullmans. RCCL ships have quite a few of these.

We are also a family of 5 with 3 daughters! We had the same problem trying to book one room without paying for a suite. We will be sailing the Carnival Inspiration on a 5 day out of Tampa. The Dream does not accomodate 5 as a previous poster suggested. I called Carnival and it has to do with new Coast Guard regulations. Apparently the older ships were grandfathered in but the new ships can only accomodate 4 people max. Congrats on your new daughter and good luck finding the right cruise!:)

Well, I just sailed the Dream less than a month ago and we had a family oceanview that very nicely fit 5 and I have the pics to prove it.

There were 2 beds put together for hubby and I. 2 pullman beds that dropped from the ceiling or our boys. And for our daughter what was the sofa converted to a bed also.

The family rooms have 2 bathrooms. 2 sinks, 2 showers (1 with a mini tub), and 1 toilet. An extra closet for space and all together a bigger room.

Well, I just sailed the Dream less than a month ago and we had a family oceanview that very nicely fit 5 and I have the pics to prove it.

There were 2 beds put together for hubby and I. 2 pullman beds that dropped from the ceiling or our boys. And for our daughter what was the sofa converted to a bed also.

The family rooms have 2 bathrooms. 2 sinks, 2 showers (1 with a mini tub), and 1 toilet. An extra closet for space and all together a bigger room.

I wish Carnival would have told me that when we booked! We were hoping to get on a newer ship and that's what they told me (about the new Coast Guard regs!) Ugh! I give up! Half the time Carnival reps don't know what's really going on! :confused: Thanks for letting me know, maybe we will have to book the Dream next!

Archived