Thomson Dream 30/12/10

TJT

New to forum, my first post and what a post !

Due to fly from Birmingham tomorrow 30th Dec 9.40 am and just got phone call 7.30pm 29th Dec sorry your cruise tomorrow been has cancelled, due to unfourseen circumstances (air con problems??)!!!! dont bother turning up at airport.:mad:

Well Happy New Year to you too Thomsons!

New to forum, my first post and what a post !

Due to fly from Birmingham tomorrow 30th Dec 9.40 am and just got phone call 7.30pm 29th Dec sorry your cruise tomorrow been has cancelled, due to unfourseen circumstances (air con problems??)!!!! dont bother turning up at airport.:mad:

Well Happy New Year to you too Thomsons!

I hope you decide never to consider booking with them again!

ET

Did they not give you an alternative, how can they do that at such short notice. I'm due to fly next week the 6th from East middlands and I've payed to stay in a hotel the night before we fly and like you probably took 2 weeks of work. Getting the cost of the holiday back does not work.

Does anyone have any idea why???? That's grim - must be very serious to cancel the whole cruise!!!

So sorry to hear you've been let down at the last minute TJT - you must be feeling so disappointed. :(

Typically, no info on their site - you would think they'd manage to put up a post wouldn't you?

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/travel-news/latest-travel-information.html

Typically, no info on their site - you would think they'd manage to put up a post wouldn't you?

No. It's Thomson.

I'll be contacting them today to see if I can get an answer regarding my booking. Trouble is, do I believe what I'm told?

ET

No. It's Thomson.

I'll be contacting them today to see if I can get an answer regarding my booking. Trouble is, do I believe what I'm told?

ET

From the reports coming in it sounds as though perhaps one of the air-con units has completely broken down affecting a lot of cabins. It doesn't sound like individual cabin problems with the air-con but large scale distribution. I guess they are either needing parts or a new unit - it's clearly not something they think can be fixed over-night so to speak. Hopefully all will be remedied before we are due to travel.

I would bet anyone at Thomson (who you will get to speak to) won't know any more than we do and if they do say anything - it will only be making suppositions (rather like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Anyway, I'll try my T.A. too and we'll see if we can glean any more info. The test will be whether all the passengers are able to fly out next week. I do feel so sorry for everyone affected though!

Does anyone have any idea why???? That's grim - must be very serious to cancel the whole cruise!!!

So sorry to hear you've been let down at the last minute TJT - you must be feeling so disappointed. :(

The have not cancelled the whole cruise, just around 60 cabins. Think that makes it worst.

They did offer to find somthing else, but not to go today or on a cruise to go to Morrocco or Sharm !! not the same really !!!:confused:

Just rang customer services, they didn't know anything about the situation. I should get a call back later when he's (the operator) asked whoever at Thomson(?) , as they are working reduced hours this week. They may not have to work at all soon!

ET

Yeh we got that last nite, as we still did not know what to do, go to airport or not, or even if it was sick joke ! Got to ring cruise deals(part of thomsons) back this morning to find out about refund ! Great

Just received a letter from Thomsons and hurriedly opened it !

It advised me of the Cuban departure tax and told me that I wasn't made aware at the time of booking due to (wait for it) another system error!

At least the letter still wished me a fantastic holiday, for the time being anyway.

ET

Just rang customer services, they didn't know anything about the situation. I should get a call back later when he's (the operator) asked whoever at Thomson(?) , as they are working reduced hours this week. They may not have to work at all soon!

ET

Jesus same here just about to ring TA to find out what is going on we need to know peeps as we need to arrange other hols no matter what for gods sake.

Jesus same here just about to ring TA to find out what is going on we need to know peeps as we need to arrange other hols no matter what for gods sake.

Have spoken to TC TA's and they contacted Thomsons for me there are problems with a certain amount of cabins re: Air Con etc, People have had there Cruise cancelled but the ship is still sailing. I asked about ours and she is going to ring Thomsons next Friday the 7th and will let me know the latest from them then. She did say the problem only happended late so people were not given a lot of notice. Oh well!!

If you don't mind slightly cooler weather around the med, 18 (yes 18 days) from Southampton on the 8th Jan onboard IoS is now down to about £900 per person. If I had the time I'd do that for £50 a night!!

Well I wouldn't! 8 nights on the IOTS was more than enough for me. Far too many people packed in. No indoor pool and no outside area available due to TERRIBLE weather. Didn't dock in Madeira and very short stops at other ports. You would have to pay me to go back on that ship!

Also, I wouldn't say the weather in the Med in January was SLIGHTLY cooler than the Caribbean:eek: If you want to go to the Caribbean, the Med is hardly a good substitute in Winter:rolleyes:

Have posted this on another thread, but may be of help on this one as well.

I saw this post on another cruise forum, the forum is run by a Travel Agents, and the following was posted by the Administrators of that site re the Dream.

"Approximately 100 passengers expecting to fly out for a fantastic New Year celebration cruise, were told last night their cruise was cancelled.

So what happened? Well, ironically, whilst the ship was in dry-dock in Hamburg (for the refit) a number of air-conditioning units were damaged by freezing conditions - and Thomson have been unable to get replacements delivered during the Christmas holidays.

About 50 cabins are believed to be affected.

In a statement, the company says: " Thomson Cruises has reluctantly taken the decision to cancel the bookings of those customers that were the last to book and who were due to occupy these cabins. All customers whose cruise has been cancelled are being offered an alternative holiday, such as the Thomson Destiny Caribbean itinerary due to depart on Sunday, January 2, or a full refund, as well as £200 per person offered by way of a goodwill gesture."

Apart from the affected cabins, Thomson Dream's New Year cruise is expected to operate as normal."

there is a post from someone on cruise dot who sailed on the dream the week before crimbo when it sailed from southampton to the carribean for this current fiasco, in his post he tells us that one engine broke down in the bay of biscany then crossing the atlantic both engines went and they lost all power eg lights etc.

Well she is probably one of the oldest cruise ships still out there!

Launched in 1985 makes her 26 years old next year!

Lengthened in 1990.

I can't see Thomson taking their option to buy it after 5 years of the current 10 year lease. Guess not owning the ship also restricts what money is spent on it!

there is a post from someone on cruise dot who sailed on the dream the week before crimbo when it sailed from southampton to the carribean for this current fiasco, in his post he tells us that one engine broke down in the bay of biscany then crossing the atlantic both engines went and they lost all power eg lights etc.

We were on the transatlantic crossing and I think you should maybe read some of the other comments on this journey before making comments like this We made up a full day on the transatlantic crossing and the engines worked well it was the blower that went down and was fixed in a short space of time and the power went off for a few minutes during the fixing process.

Archived