Ship Captain's Pay

Givemestuff

I found this on a cruise job website. I think we should all slip the Capt a few bucks when we see him.:rolleyes: Imagine only $72 grand for someone who has full responsibility for maiking our cruises enjoyable.:p

Ship Captain (Salary $6000-$10000 US dollars per month)

Responsible for all operations onboard the vessel. Extensive experience required along with formal maritime qualifications such as a Captains Licence is required for this position. Fluent English is essential.

Hey GMS, I have posted this elsewhere, but you never came back :p Come post over on the S&S 3 roll call, so I can get your info to make sure you get the group amenities... I notice you have a banner for the group.

I found this on a cruise job website. I think we should all slip the Capt a few bucks when we see him.:rolleyes: Imagine only $72 grand for someone who has full responsibility for maiking our cruises enjoyable.:p

Responsible for all operations onboard the vessel. Extensive experience required along with formal maritime qualifications such as a Captains Licence is required for this position. Fluent English is essential.

In our heavily-taxed society, we often look at base pay as just a starting point for remuneration, then subtract all the taxes and arrive at a more realistic NET PAY. From that we have to subtract an entire spectrum of costs associated with our daily living. :o

More than likely, the good Captain, doesn't pay the exhorbitant taxes we pay, which in the category we're referring to would be at least 50% (combined Federal and State), so he's in essence maybe earning $144,000 to $200,000. Then you must understand he probably has no TRANSPORTATION COSTS, no HUGE HOUSE PAYMENT, no CAR PAYMENT, no CAR INSURANCE PAYMENT, no FUEL COSTS, and pays NOTHING for his meals, drinks, laundry, entertainment or SEX :rolleyes: (those that don't think they are paying for sex, just aren't paying attention). :D

And, most importantly, he gets to go on cruises ONE WEEK AFTER ANOTHER ! ! :)

In our heavily-taxed society, we often look at base pay as just a starting point for remuneration, then subtract all the taxes and arrive at a more realistic NET PAY. From that we have to subtract an entire spectrum of costs associated with our daily living. :o

More than likely, the good Captain, doesn't pay the exhorbitant taxes we pay, which in the category we're referring to would be at least 50% (combined Federal and State), so he's in essence maybe earning $144,000 to $200,000. Then you must understand he probably has no TRANSPORTATION COSTS, no HUGE HOUSE PAYMENT, no CAR PAYMENT, no CAR INSURANCE PAYMENT, no FUEL COSTS, and pays NOTHING for his meals, drinks, laundry, entertainment or SEX :rolleyes: (those that don't think they are paying for sex, just aren't paying attention). :D

Well said. Especially about the sex. :D

GOOD POINT!!

"Itsa nowa NOON... and uh we areah approximately twenta fivea... "

Tom

That's funny, because whenever I hear a captain speak I'm waiting for him to say "bisbol bin berry, berry good to me." Like Father Guido Sarduchi.:D

That's funny, because whenever I hear a captain speak I'm waiting for him to say "bisbol bin berry, berry good to me." Like Father Guido Sarduchi.:D

I know what you mean!!!

"Chico Escuela

Chico Escuela (translation: "Boy School"), played by Garrett Morris, was the Weekend Update sports correspondent. A retired Hispanic ballplayer with limited command of the English language, he wrote the tell-all book Bad Stuff About the Mets (sample: "Tom Seaver - he once borrow Chico's soap and no give it back"). In spring training 1979, Chico's unsuccessful comeback attempt was documented on several Update segments. The character was first introduced in a St. Mickey's Knights of Columbus sketch, but subsequently Escuela appeared solely on Update.

Typically he would be introduced by Jane Curtin, thus compelling him to say, "Thank you, Hane." Soon would follow his standard catchphrase: "Baseball been berry, berry good to me!" Sammy Sosa, at the peak of his stardom in the late 1990s, would sometimes repeat that line as a joke, to the media, albeit in his true-to-life strong Hispanic accent.

Lots of stuff here: (Including Father Guido Sarducci)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live_characters_appearing_on_Weekend_Update

Tom

Add in 52 weeks a year of room & board.

It's good money $$$ :D

Geez... I'm not sure how good that pay really is. I suspect that nearly, if not all, of the Captains that Carnival employs are married, own at least one car and one house. I doubt that they live on the boat 24/7/365.

Consider that airline captians average around $180,000 plus and are responsible for a very small fraction of the number of lives the cruise ship captain is. The airline pilot flies a maximum of 100 hours per month and more typically fly around 80. The cruise ship captain is responsible for the ship non-stop.

$120,000 may seem like a bunch of money but there are a great many other positions that pay that much and more with only a tiny portion of the responsibility and pressure.

Just my $.02

He also probably has at home a family that is depending on his income for food and a roof over their heads.

Geez... I'm not sure how good that pay really is. I suspect that nearly, if not all, of the Captains that Carnival employs are married, own at least one car and one house. I doubt that they live on the boat 24/7/365.

Consider that airline captians average around $180,000 plus and are responsible for a very small fraction of the number of lives the cruise ship captain is. The airline pilot flies a maximum of 100 hours per month and more typically fly around 80. The cruise ship captain is responsible for the ship non-stop.

$120,000 may seem like a bunch of money but there are a great many other positions that pay that much and more with only a tiny portion of the responsibility and pressure.

Just my $.02

I understand the comparison to an airline pilot but it's not comparing apples to apples. On the ships I've been on none of them seemed to be going 500 to 600 mph on routes with a seperation that would make the normal passengers hair curl if they knew. Usually when the ships engines

fail due due to something mechanical it does not act like a submarine and sink. I am just saying that I would not want the captain of my next cruise fly me into Miami nor would I want an airline pilot take me out to sea on a cruise ship.

... and pays NOTHING for his meals, drinks, laundry, entertainment or SEX :rolleyes: (those that don't think they are paying for sex, just aren't paying attention). :D

I knew Captain Stubbing always looked a little *too* happy! I had though it was because Isaac always made him his "special coffee" for breakfast.

I knew Captain Stubbing always looked a little *too* happy! I had though it was because Isaac always made him his "special coffee" for breakfast.

Yeah, and you knew if Jesica Walter, Florence Henderson, Suzanne Pleshette, or Jaye P. Morgan was a guest that week , Old Stubbing was getting some nasty :) :) :)

On the ships I've been on none of them seemed to be going 500 to 600 mph on routes with a seperation that would make the normal passengers hair curl if they knew.

Unless someone screws up big time the separation is pretty significant. In cruise flight vertical separation is at least 1000 feet and you get three miles nose to tail. That's a pretty fair gap.

When we were on the Holiday last August my husband had a couple of conversations with the Captain. His wife and two children were cruising with him and they were about to return to Italy so she could get their oldest in school. My husband is from Genoa (originally) as was this Captain and my husband worked for Costa for about 10 years MANY, MANY years ago and this Captain was with Costa before coming over to Carnival. Anyway, this Captain was very nice and if he saw us as he walked around the ship (he was very visible during this cruise) he made a point to walk over to us and speak Italian with my husband for a few minutes.

My husband knows what it entails to become a Captain. It is no easy position to attain. Whatever they make, they earn it!

My purpose in all this was to point out that, yes, I'm sure they all have families and the financial responsibilities that go along with them. Having their families with them on board when possible is a nice perk, too.

Wow! $6,000 - 10,000 Per Month Is In U.s. Dollars -- All The Captains Are Foreign. Now Convert That Amount Into Their Currency And They Have A Lot Of Money. Also Consider That They Pay No U.s Taxes, Get Free Meals, Don't Pay Rent And Don't Have To Go Clothes Shopping Because They Wear Uniforms. The Ship's Destination Is Programed Into The Computer, There Is No Steering Wheel But A Joy Stick Just Like The One You Use For Your Computer Games. Radar Lets The Captain Know When A Storm Is Approaching Or Another Ship Is Too Close Then He Can Reprogram The Computer . Like I Said, Convert That Amount Of Money Into Foreign Currency And It's A Good Payday!!!

Just my $.02

I agree completely!

Archived