Bringing Wine on Board?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

We have not cruised for nearly 2 years but back then Princess was very flexible about pax bringing their own wine on board. In fact, we packed a bottle of scotch in our main luggage and they let it through.

Does anyone have any recent experience on Princess bringing their own spirits on board? Last time (30 days to Sydney in 2010), we were even allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine back from the ports (not the hard stuff). We'll be on the Grand next March with loads of sea days so an extra bottle or two of wine in the cabin would be nice:D.

Thanks, Didi

Although I've read about people having been stopped with beer we never have had any problems with taking on alcohol. I just carry a water bottle filled with rum in the carry on. The security people couldn't care less one way of the other and until they do I won't have to resort to any sneaky tactics.

We have always taken 2 or more bottles of wine on board with no problem. Your 'supply' can be replenished at each of your stops. This is one of the reasons we prefer Princess--- it is nice to enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony before we go to dinner:)

We have always taken 2 or more bottles of wine on board with no problem. Your 'supply' can be replenished at each of your stops. This is one of the reasons we prefer Princess--- it is nice to enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony before we go to dinner:)

Ditto! I like my own wine on my balcony pre-dinner, post-dinner I buy their martinis! Key Lime and Lemondrops - yum :D

I've been on many Princess cruises (last one in June) and NEVER had a question asked about the wine in my carry-on or restocking in ports.

Thanks Wendy and all. It sounds like nothing has changed since we cruised in 2010:cool:. Another thing people have done is to get one of the big water glasses from the dining room, take it to your room and pour your favorite libation in it and take it into the dining room for dinner. I guess a lot of us feel that if Princess would charge more reasonable prices for alcohol given that it is all duty free for them, those of us who imbibe would be less inclined to bring stuff on ourselves. But they charge what many mainland restaurants and bars charge.

Anyway, we're surely looking forward to getting back on a Princess ship!

Although I've read about people having been stopped with beer we never have had any problems with taking on alcohol. I just carry a water bottle filled with rum in the carry on. The security people couldn't care less one way of the other and until they do I won't have to resort to any sneaky tactics.

Now that's just funny, I don't care who you are!

Putting rum in a water bottle is not a sneaky way to get past the rules???

Now that's just funny, I don't care who you are!

Putting rum in a water bottle is not a sneaky way to get past the rules???

It's not really sneaky and I don't try to hide it. I just don't want more than 20 oz for my cruise but if they ever do start checking like NCL/RCCI I might have to resort to some sneaky ways of getting it past.

Thanks Wendy and all. It sounds like nothing has changed since we cruised in 2010:cool:. Another thing people have done is to get one of the big water glasses from the dining room, take it to your room and pour your favorite libation in it and take it into the dining room for dinner. I guess a lot of us feel that if Princess would charge more reasonable prices for alcohol given that it is all duty free for them, those of us who imbibe would be less inclined to bring stuff on ourselves. But they charge what many mainland restaurants and bars charge.

The cruise lines seem to charge the same markup as local restaurants where I live. I think it appears high since you are onboard for so many consecutive days. That said BYOB is a wonderful thing and I support restaurants and cruise lines that allow it.

It's not really sneaky and I don't try to hide it. I just don't want more than 20 oz for my cruise but if they ever do start checking like NCL/RCCI I might have to resort to some sneaky ways of getting it past.

I guess there are different levels of "sneaky"

Bringing in Rum,. which is against the rules, in a Rum bottle would be, by my definition actually "not sneaky"

Bringing it in disguised as water in a water bottle must be "kinda Sneaky' except in N.J.?

You don't need to take a water glass from the DR. Just ask room service for wine glasses or ask at any bar.

I guess there are different levels of "sneaky"

Bringing in Rum,. which is against the rules, in a Rum bottle would be, by my definition actually "not sneaky"

Bringing it in disguised as water in a water bottle must be "kinda Sneaky' except in N.J.?

OK, then I'll be less sneaky next time and carry a 1/2 bottle of rum but it all winds up being the same thing in the end except that it takes up more room in the bag.

We were on the Diamond Princess last week in Alaska. We brought on a bottle of whisky in our check in luggage with no problems. We carried on 2 bottles of wine, which weren't inspected. We didn't buy wine in ports, and didn't notice whether anyone had problems with this.:)

. Another thing people have done is to get one of the big water glasses from the dining room, take it to your room and pour your favorite libation in it and take it into the dining room for dinner.

In a recent thread, there was no clear consensus as to whether doing this was "smart" or "tacky." I guess you could ask yourself whether, in order to avoid the mark-up, you'd sneak a glass of your own wine into a land-based restaurant - letting the staff assume you'd bought it at the restaurant's bar - and then do likewise onboard.

I am sure if someone walks into the restaurant with a big water glass filled with anything other than water (and why would you?), the wait staff will know it is a do-it-yourself drink. :DThe waiters only use wine glasses. You can get these from any bar, but that doesn't mean I am suggesting walking into the dining room with a wine glass full of your own wine.

Precisely! Moreover, I detest being treated like I am in high school. Come to think of it, even in high school no one ever checked our bags. :) We were treated like adults and expected to behave like adults, and make intelligent decisions, which, amazingly, we actually did, just like we do on Princess.

From what I hear, those cruise lines that restrict alcohol being brought on board by passengers, (Carnival and NCL for instance) have a lot more alcohol-related behavioral problems than Princess. Maybe that is why they feel they need to restrict alcohol. :p

These cruise lines that fuss over passenger bringing wine on board make me crazy. They may think they are earning more money by forcing people only to drink wine bought on board, but in our case they are just losing our business entirely.

Even though we bring our own wine on board for consumption on our balcony, we always buy wine in the dining room for dinner and rarely take our own wine to dinner. When we do decide to take a bottle of our own wine into the dining room, say for a special occasion, we are happy to pay a corkage fee.

Beyond that, other than a rare beer to go with pizza, or once in a great while, watching a Husky game under the stars, we just don't buy alcohol on board a ship and that isn't going to change one way or the other whether or not we are allowed to bring wine on board.

Thank you all - I've gotten the answer to my original question and that is that Princess' policy has not changed regarding bringing spirits on board. If they wanted to prevent it they easily could - as the other lines do. I'm going to unsubscribe to this thread now - with appreciation for all who responded and wishing you all

HAPPY CRUISING

Hello...

On the subject of bringing wine on board... we are leaving in a few days for Alaska with a land tour first. We want to have a special bottle of wine on board to celebrate my retirement :D. We are going to purchase a few bottles in Anchorage to take inland. Can we send a separate box of wine (well wrapped) with our luggage to the ship before the land tour? We are also thinking of packing it in a suitcase. Any thoughts?

Hello...

On the subject of bringing wine on board... we are leaving in a few days for Alaska with a land tour first. We want to have a special bottle of wine on board to celebrate my retirement :D. We are going to purchase a few bottles in Anchorage to take inland. Can we send a separate box of wine (well wrapped) with our luggage to the ship before the land tour? We are also thinking of packing it in a suitcase. Any thoughts?

I've packed wine in my checked bags without problems. I use wine diaper and a large ziplock bag, then wrap well in clothing to prevent breakage. There are several different kinds you can use. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D13299291&field-keywords=wine+protector&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A%211063498%2Cn%3A284507%2Cn%3A13299291%2Ck%3Awine+protector

Hello...

I wouldn't. I would just carry it with me. But, that's me.

• 1 month later...

Archived