Leaving the ship before the end of the cruise

mesje

I would like to ask you, if i can leave the ship in some port before the end of official itinerary of the cruise. And opposite - can i also embark the ship later - not in the port of call ? For example - in a cruise consisting of Miami-Nassau-Antigua-Barbados-Miami can i leave the ship in Barbados, or can i embark the ship in Nassau ?

Is it safe for a 2-years baby to go on a cruise ? For example - cannot he fall from the ship to water easy?

Thanks

There are Federal rules prohibiting disembarking a cruise ship in a foreign port if the cruise originated in the U.S. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if it is, the cruise line is fined $350 per person that does this. That fine is then forwarded to you.

Of course, the safety of the child depends on the parent. If you leave you child to run around unattended, there will be safety issues, but if you keep with your child, it's as safe as being at home.

As for arriving late and departing early, it depends on the cruise line. There is a rule in the US called the Passenger Services Act that won't allow disembarking early under certain circumstances without incurring a fine that you pay. Also, you have to arrange for early disembarkation as you will have to make sure the country you're disembarking in allows this and have the personnel available for you to go through their local Immigration.

You will have to pay for the full cruise even if you leave early or arrive late. Cruise lines don't prorate their cruises. So if you leave two days early, you're still going to pay for the entire cruise.

There are Federal rules prohibiting disembarking a cruise ship in a foreign port if the cruise originated in the U.S. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if it is, the cruise line is fined $350 per person that does this. That fine is then forwarded to you.

The US does not regulate getting off at a foreign port. The examples given by the OP are perfectly OK with US law.

The US law regulates only passages that start and end in a US port. The rules are different whether or not it is a round trip, or one way.

----

That being said, here is an example of boarding late that would not be legal.

Port Canaveral - Key West - Nassau, Bahamas, Port Canaveral.

- If you miss this ship in Port Canaveral, you would not be able to board the ship in Key West - That would make it a one way US- US voyage, with no intermediate "distant" foreign port.

Aloha,

John

Why would you want to pay for an entire cruise, and forfeit so many days?

And, yes, a ship is safe for a child---it's virtually impossible to "fall" off....you have to make a concerted effort or be drunk as hell. A 2 year old will NEVER be alone, anyway, right?

many times the cruise lines actually sell space on the same cruise leaving from a port of call, for instance a cruise that starts in San Juan you and goes to Barbadoes, you might book passage on the same cruise but get on in Barbados stay on the ship till it returns to Barbados.

As for what is allowed or what will incur penalties call the cruiseline in question and ask directly, and be sure they send you an email verifying what they tell you.

Also Children do not fall overboard without help. if you had a balcony cabin and let the child out there alone with chairs to climb on then it would not be safe, they cannot just run off the side however.

Know though that some lines don't have children's programs for children under 3 some it is 2 and they can't use the pools unless they are potty trained.

Archived