Renewing Wedding Vows

AnonymousKiwi

My DH and I are thinking of renewing our vows on the Pacific Princess next year for our 20th anniversay. The package advertised looks lovely. However I am worried about the "Cheesey/Tacky" factor. Has anyone recently participated in or witnessed a Vow Renewal ceremony? The only reviews I can find are several years old.

Also, I note the ceremonies may be performed in groups 'at the ships discretion'. Any one know if this happens often? It's something that we feel is rather personal, and really wouldn't want to share with a bunch of complete strangers.

My DH and I are thinking of renewing our vows on the Pacific Princess next year for our 20th anniversay. The package advertised looks lovely. However I am worried about the "Cheesey/Tacky" factor. Has anyone recently participated in or witnessed a Vow Renewal ceremony? The only reviews I can find are several years old.

Also, I note the ceremonies may be performed in groups 'at the ships discretion'. Any one know if this happens often? It's something that we feel is rather personal, and really wouldn't want to share with a bunch of complete strangers.

I wouldn't mind hearing about this!

We renewed our vows on the QM2 a while back, and it was in a group, but it was still very nice! They had a very nice cake and we got a certificate. :D

On the larger ships, there may be more couples renewing vows and it may be necessary to share the special time with the other couples.

However, you are on a small ship and I doubt there would be many couples doing a renewal on your cruise (but I could be wrong).

I surprised my wife with a vow renewal last year on the Crown. In our case, we were the only couple partaking, so it was a private ceremony. It was held on the first formal night, before the Captain's reception. It was a small, but very nice ceremony with the Guest Services Director, the Captain, a Photographer, and someone else from the passenger services desk. When I went to the desk to finalize the arrangements with the GSD, I was also asked if I wanted assistance making any reservations for the night.

It was a belated one year anniversary trip, I probably won't do it again for a few years, but I would do it again.

A few years back we had the renewal. It was a wonderful experience. No cheese factor at all. We had the ceremony to ourselves. It did not even occur to me that we might be sharing this with other couples. That would have been a deal killer for me. I would not even consider it if I had to share. Just my opinion.

A few years back we had the renewal. It was a wonderful experience. No cheese factor at all. We had the ceremony to ourselves. It did not even occur to me that we might be sharing this with other couples. That would have been a deal killer for me. I would not even consider it if I had to share. Just my opinion.

The vow renewal package is advertised as a shared ceremony with all couples wishing to purchase this package. However, if no one else purchases it, it is not a group ceremony. That being said, I'm sure you can try to make arrangements with guest services for a more private ceremony.

I did some extensive searches here on CC about the Renewal of Vows package before booking it for our 25th anniversary cruise on Ruby next March.

As to "group" ceremonies - the report I found was that if there is more than one couple, it is done in sequence, rather than in a group, i.e. there is only one couple (and their witnesses- if any) in the chapel at a time.

We renewed our vows 3 years ago and it was a lovely ceremony. We were the only couple, and we had a few CC'ers from our thread attend the ceremony. One of them even played the piano as we walked in. We had beautiful flowers, bouquet for me, corsage for DH, and lots of champagne to drink. Not cheesy at all! There was a photographer taking lots and lots of pics as well!

We just did our vow renewal on the Golden last month. As far as the DW is concerned it couldn't have been a better experience. They supplied the flowers, music and photographer. We were given a copy of the ceremony signed by the Captain. We were the only couple renewing our vows. Another couple was waiting in the hall for theirs so we invited them in. The pleasure that it gave my DW was well worth the price. Did I mention she bought almost all of the pictures.:rolleyes:

Almost forgot, it was performed on the first formal night before welcome aboard party.

Aw, your experiences sound lovely. I am pleased to hear there are not regular mass ceremonies. I guess Princess reserves the rights to perform the ceremonies in groups in case there is a large number of couples renewing their vows. I had visions of those huge ceremonies that Asian couples seem to go in for. :)

Thanks so much for your replies.

Archived