Culturally Enriching Cruise

I was looking over the details about the Splendour Of The Seas from San Juan-Barcelona for this April and the brochure on the website says this will be a culturally enriching cruise with the language first in the local language then in English, Food and Drinks and entertainment related to the culture.

Does this mean we get to sample local Brazilian and Spanish Food, listen to some awesome Brazilian Music(which I love) see the Flamenco Dancing etc.

Have you been on a Culturally Enriching Cruise on Royal did you think it added to the experience?

There was a review from a year or two ago of a CCer and her daughter who did one of these "culture enriching" cruises in South America. I wish I could remember the ship name... perhaps it was the Enchantment?

From what I recall, "culture enriching" is Royal's way of saying that the cruisers onboard won't be majority American. The primary language you'll hear being spoken around you will be Spanish, as the majority of cruisers onboard will be Spanish-speaking. I think they've felt the need to label these cruises that attract Spanish-speakers as "culture enriching" because there are often complaints by American passengers about how loud the Spanish-speaking passengers are... which is largely part of their culture. (Which is why the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan had a bit of a "bad rep" for a while here on CC - and why there is an entire thread dedicated to it.)

Yes, there will be lots of Latin music in the evenings (in most cases rather than pop American music in the clubs), and I would guess that the entertainers brought onboard will be Latin, as well. Perhaps someone who has been on one of these itineraries can give you more insight.

Judging from your post, you seem to be interested in immersing yourself in another culture, so I wouldn't think that the language or cultural differences would be an issue for you, but rather something you'd enjoy (which is why Royal names it "culture enriching" - to attract that kind of traveler).

EDIT: If the above poster is correct and you're leaving from Sao Paulo, I would stick with everything stated above, except with Portuguese as the main language. This makes more sense, as I believe the poster whose TR I read was on a cruise out of Brazil. It also makes sense that RCCL would feel the need to "warn" cruisers about the Brazilians because Americans are always griping about the Brazilian tour groups.

It was emerald city(?), Grandeur immersion out of Panama. But I think search is down, because I can't get it to find anything.

I think that might be it! It makes sense that I would read a Grandeur review just because I'd sailed it before and was wondering what it was doing in South America. It was like a daily diary-type review - very detailed and mostly (if all) text.

I posted a review of Grandeur as well. It just means that you'll be a minority in the English speaking group, shows will be in Spanish, announcements in Spanish first, and more Spanish food at the buffet. Dining times may be later to accommodate cultural differences.

Your post says San Juan....that isn't in Brazil.

I'm guessing if you want a Brazilian experience you should probably spend a few days there first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was looking over the details about the Splendour Of The Seas from San Juan-Barcelona for this April and the brochure on the website says this will be a culturally enriching cruise with the language first in the local language then in English, Food and Drinks and entertainment related to the culture.

Does this mean we get to sample local Brazilian and Spanish Food, listen to some awesome Brazilian Music(which I love) see the Flamenco Dancing etc.

Have you been on a Culturally Enriching Cruise on Royal did you think it added to the experience?

Yes Sao Paulo duh(:. Anyways I love learning about different cultures. My Cousin is Brazilian so she has introduced me to the culture a few years back. I love the Portuguese language and the food.

Please post the review(:

BTW I hate the Americans who complain about who they are with. I mean if you don't like learning about different cultures then why did you book the cruise in the first place?

I found this cruise for $800 for an oceanview with all taxes so its a steal for 2 weeks of fun and the ports sound interesting. I look forward to returning to the Canary Islands, Malaga(Spent 6 weeks there back in 1998 while my mother was on a sabbatical as part of a 3 month trip). We learned about Flamenco Dancing and to this day I love going to Flamenco Dance shows(: The music is awesome. I love Latin Music from Fado to Latin Pop so I hope to hear Brazilian entertainers and music and sample the food.

I would love to try the Pao De Quejo(Cheese bread) and the Masa(Sweet Bread).

Wow, you've got quite a memory little miss magic. I can remember certain reviews, but can rarely attach a screen name. In any case they called it a Spanish Immersion Cruise last year and all American passengers were called by RCI prior to the cruise and advised that the cruise catered mainly to Spanish pax. It was a wonderful experience for both of us and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'll have to tell DD that it's now a Culturally Enriching Cruise ... how funny.

The quick answer to your questions is that the MDR menu was the same, but there was a Latin corner everyday in the Windjammer ... of course, our cruise was out of Colon, so it may be different out of Brazil. The number of people attending late night entertainment venues was off the charts. This culture loves to dance ... and it was so much fun being swept up in all that.

The shows will be all in Spanish (or Portuguese perhaps from Brazil), but the games are bilingual (and our team took silver in the quest, so translation wasn't a big issue there).

If you want to skim through the whole review, I've posted the link below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1621018

Wow, you've got quite a memory little miss magic. I can remember certain reviews, but can rarely attach a screen name. In any case they called it a Spanish Immersion Cruise last year and all American passengers were called by RCI prior to the cruise and advised that the cruise catered mainly to Spanish pax. It was a wonderful experience for both of us and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'll have to tell DD that it's now a Culturally Enriching Cruise ... how funny.

If you want to skim through the whole review, I've posted the link below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1621018

Yes! Your review was the exact one I was thinking of - I'm so glad you found this thread!

I'm really not sure Royal Caribbean and "Culturally Enriching" go together. Look, I like RCI cruises, but if I'm after a "culturally enriching" experience, I'm going to look at another line, or more likely, a different type of travel.

Any place that specializes in "Honey Stung Chicken", "Lobster Night", and Chops Grill isn't exactly the epicenter of "Culturally Enriching".

We did a "Culturally Enriching" cruise on Splendour a few years ago. It was São Paulo to Lisbon. Over 2000 of the passengers were either Brazilian or Portuguese. The majority of the shows were in Portuguese, don't remember any flamenco dancing or any significant Brazilian music. The number one act was Helvis, a Brazilian Elvis impersonator. Most acts were comedians or singers.

Language wasn't a problem, announcements were in all languages, Portuguese first, English second.

The big problem was in areas like the Windjammer. It was used as a meeting place and was never empty. People just sat around all day just talking. It was almost impossible to find a seat. Getting on and off elevators was like being in WWII. It was dangerous, we used the stairs a lot.

Foodwise it was disappointing. It was like the regular food served up with black beans and rice to give it a "Brazilian" touch. Nothing like the food we enjoyed in Brazil.

We would not do it again, unless we couldn't resist the itinerary.

Archived