Westerdam - laundry services options?

popcan

For a 20-day cruise, I'd imagine some laundry will need to be done at some point! :)

What are the best options for having laundry done, or is there a DIY area?

Thanks!

No DIY. By the piece, by the bag (usually $20 to $25 depending on the cruise), or unlimited (typically $7/day but it varies a little). You can stuff a lot in the bag, and it's per cabin, not per person.

Edited by jtl513

None of the Vista or Signature class ships have self service laundries.

More and more people are opting for the "unlinited" laundry -- especially on the longer cruises.

You can call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 and ask what the price would be for the unlimited laundry for the date of your cruise. Usually they can give you a figure.

I do not recommend pre-paying for the unlimited laundry. We did this and because the room steward was supposed to put a "special" laundry bag without prices on it in our room, we wound up without a laundry bag for three days and had to call twice to get one. When it did come, it was the list with the prices, so we checked "unlimited laundry package" on the bottom and wound up being charged a second time for something we pre-paid for. This meant we had to go to the front desk to clear it up (and it was cleared up, but still a pain to clear it up).

Had we not pre-paid we theoretically would have had the laundry bag waiting for us when we checked in and would not have had to wear dirty clothes into port one day. We also would have had the laundry service for the whole seven days instead of only five days of the cruise.

Pre-paying for the option only led to confusion and did not add any value to the proposition.

The pricing, I must say, is a good value. We paid $49 for a 7 day cruise, and because of this we saved $100 in airport baggage fees by packing less, and our clothes were less wrinkly than they would have been packed in luggage the whole time.

Ok I'm doing the Westerdam in Oct and most def. will have laundry.

But what concerns me is the shringage of my garments from the laundry. I will have all cotton items and do not want to receive them back 2 sizes too small!!!

Please give me some input on this and problems, if any, you have had.

Thanks.

But what concerns me is the shringage of my garments from the laundry. I will have all cotton items and do not want to receive them back 2 sizes too small!!!

Thanks.

We were on the Westy for 14 days this spring and used the unlimited laundry. Well worth the cost! A lot of our garmets were all cotton - no shrinkage what so ever. Do not bother getting the unlimited ironing that the CSR might try to talk you into as all our clothes came back pressed and ready to wear. I'd suggest you do the pre-paid. The laundry paper work does have prices on it but all you have to do is mark it that you already have the unlimited laundry and you should not encounter the problem wallyboag did. BTW, our Laundry Bag was the same as the one our traveling mates had and they did not have the unlimited laundry.

Edited by larsen

Thanks.

Being 4 star we do get the unlimited laundry. We have had no problems. The laundry actually washes your clothes per the tag instructions. I thought that was amazing considering how much laundry they have to do.

Thanks.

I never send in anything that I'm worried about srinking. They use very hot water to wash in and then ofcourse it is dried in a very hot dryer. Nope, not me, ain't gonna happen.

They do a great job on everything else though. My DH uses them every cruise with no problems.

I've sadly learned not to send my cotton knit tops (wash cold, dry on low) out to the ship's laundry. One jet black top came back charcoal gray and a few inches shorter. Even though we get free laundry I either pack only clothing I feel the laundry can't render unwearable or I plan on doing washing myself of any items I fear they will also ruin. I also dont trust any cotton 'crinkle' gauze tops to the ship's laundry. While these are great when in hot climates, the laundry will press the 'crinkles' out.

• 5 years later...