Accessible Caribbean Shore Excursions

I'll be on the Norwegian Sun to the Southern Caribbean in October. I'm paralyzed from shoulders down and stay in my power wheelchair. Anybody know of specific shore excursions that could accommodate my special needs (i.e. van with ramp or lift, access to beach wheelchairs, no stairs to climb)? I'd love to hear about your previous experiences (especially if they are positive!)

I can only tell you that the cruise line won't offer anything for you. Handicapped transportation at the ports will be your biggest hurdle. Some Islands have a few privately owned vans but they are expensive. Your best bet is to search the web now for transportation. If you can get mobile anythings possible. Your best bet for a beach chair would be one of the nicer resorts......if you can get there. I've found that it's just not worth the hassle & normally just stay on board.

Good Luck

I hope that somebody can give you some good leads.

I believe that (at least) trying to find or arrange for access is always worth the effort! We are going to St. Thomas; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; and Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. I found an accessible tour on St. Thomas. All info is greatly appreciated.

We did the accessable tour of St. Thomas through Royal. The vehicles used were small vans with a ramp to drive the wheelchair into the van. There was room for 2 chairs at the very back of the van. We stopped at all the popular scenic viewing spots. Some spots you can see without getting out of the van. Other spots they spend some time at so everyone got out of the van.

It was a nice tour, the island is beautiful and plenty of time to learn the history of the island.

If you are docking in Heavensight there is a butterfly farm and shopping easy to get to with your wheelchair.

I need to look at what we did at some of the other islands.

I'll be on the Norwegian Sun to the Southern Caribbean in October. I'm paralyzed from shoulders down and stay in my power wheelchair. Anybody know of specific shore excursions that could accommodate my special needs (i.e. van with ramp or lift, access to beach wheelchairs, no stairs to climb)? I'd love to hear about your previous experiences (especially if they are positive!)

We just booked this tour for our December cruise to St. Maarten. Sorry I can't tell you any info since we haven't gone yet.

http://www.shoreadventures.com/excursions.aspx?id=513

Try Joseph Cares in Curacao. info@josephcares.com is his email

Dan's Taxi Service in Barbados danblack@cw.blackberry.net is his email.

I can't find cards for others, but we have done St Marteen ( goes to both sides ), St Kitts, and St Thomas.

I just type in handicap transportation or Handicap tours in what ever port we are going to. Handicap transportation is getting more common,k but still not everywhere. We do not go to beaches much, so don't know about beach wheelchairs.

Good Luck, Have fun, Keep rolling on!!!!!

• 1 month later...
We just booked this tour for our December cruise to St. Maarten. Sorry I can't tell you any info since we haven't gone yet.

Thank you, Rangeley. I followed the link and booked this tour. Although it was a bit expensive since there were only three of us, it was well worth it. We had a very friendly and informative tour guide named Marlin. He was easy to understand and allowed us to get off in town at the end so that we could grab a bite to eat and do some shopping before returning to the cruiseship. My only negative comment would be that the website indicated that they accepted credit cards, but at the end of our tour they insisted on cash because it was Sunday. I had to make a special trip to the ATM and pay exchange fees and ATM charges that I hadn't expected. I hope you enjoy your cruise and this tour as much as we did.

Thank you, Rangeley. I followed the link and booked this tour. Although it was a bit expensive since there were only three of us, it was well worth it. We had a very friendly and informative tour guide named Marlin. He was easy to understand and allowed us to get off in town at the end so that we could grab a bite to eat and do some shopping before returning to the cruiseship. My only negative comment would be that the website indicated that they accepted credit cards, but at the end of our tour they insisted on cash because it was Sunday. I had to make a special trip to the ATM and pay exchange fees and ATM charges that I hadn't expected. I hope you enjoy your cruise and this tour as much as we did.

Great to hear!! We will be there in 2 weeks. We will make sure we have cash for the payment. We are lucky that we have 7 people (and a service dog) going with us so the cost will be lower.

Archived