How Late Can We Visit Mendenhall Glacier?

JPesq

Going to Mendenhall Glacier is a must for me, but we have been thinking about booking the zipline tour, which starts at 3 pm and likely ends at 6:30. Our ship arrives at 1 p.m. and leaves at 10 p.m. Would I have time to see the Glacier after the zipline? Are there still buses running?

Just remember it is light till very late in Alaska. As the other poster noted the bus and the museum close early, but something nice about going after 6pm is that there are no crowds.. just maybe bears :D

You'll of course need to arrange your own cab or other transportation.

We did a combo tour that had the shuttle come and pick us up around 7:30ish.. wonderful and crowd free, YMMV.

I know that sunset is close to 10 pm when we will be there in May, which is why I'd thought of an evening hike as an option. I was just worried there was some type of gate keeping people out after the info center closed at 7:30? Sounds like there isn't.

Thanks for the replies!

I know that sunset is close to 10 pm when we will be there in May, which is why I'd thought of an evening hike as an option. I was just worried there was some type of gate keeping people out after the info center closed at 7:30? Sounds like there isn't.

Thanks for the replies!

While it is true there is no gate, shipmaster is not necessarily wrong about the bears. Bears in a tourist habitat get used to buses and people showing up between certain hours and will generally avoid human encounters during those times. THey also know quite well, when things shut down. Then they are a lot more comfortable about moving around those areas. They do not expect humans to be there then and that is the most dangerous time.

Virtually all of the recent bear makings over the last 5 years have occurred after hours by usually one person alone jogging or walking quietly -often with headphones-not paying attention.

Keep that in mind when you plan you evening hike.

While it is true there is no gate, shipmaster is not necessarily wrong about the bears. Bears in a tourist habitat get used to buses and people showing up between certain hours and will generally avoid human encounters during those times. THey also know quite well, when things shut down. Then they are a lot more comfortable about moving around those areas. They do not expect humans to be there then and that is the most dangerous time.

Virtually all of the recent bear makings over the last 5 years have occurred after hours by usually one person alone jogging or walking quietly -often with headphones-not paying attention.

Keep that in mind when you plan you evening hike.

I am used to hiking in bear country and do take precautions but then again I grew up with bears. no, they were not pets.

That is good advice. We are from Idaho and are used to backpacking in places with bears, but it didn't occur to me that we might find them at such a touristy place, even in the early evening. Packing bear bells would be easy enough if we decide to do this.

Looks like a taxi there and back would be our only option? Seems very expensive.

........ THey also know quite well, when things shut down. Then they are a lot more comfortable about moving around those areas. They do not expect humans to be there then and that is the most dangerous time.......

maybe not so much at Mendenhall. The Director has said during the summer the parking lot fills in the evening with locals avoiding the crowds,viewing bears, plus other outdoor activities.

Archived