Wonder why ships don't tip over?

gonzo1124

I do. I remember when ships had heavy, deep keels as ballast. Their draft was so deep they couldn't get into shallow ports, (remember the Cunard France always anchored outside St. Thomas bay?)

It is my understanding that newer ships have more of a flat bottom instead of a pointy keel (and they draft shallower), then huge water holding tanks inside the hull act as ballast. These are controlled by computers to keep the ship level and up.

Anyone knows more about this?

I do. I remember when ships had heavy, deep keels as ballast. Their draft was so deep they couldn't get into shallow ports, (remember the Cunard France always anchored outside St. Thomas bay?)

It is my understanding that newer ships have more of a flat bottom instead of a pointy keel (and they draft shallower), then huge water holding tanks inside the hull act as ballast. These are controlled by computers to keep the ship level and up.

Actually an interesting question, but I don't have an answer.

But I betcha Hank knows the answer? Perhaps ask him. :p

CLICK ME!!!!

:D

Fixed ballast, very wide beam, high cube design, water ballast, are all elements that combine to give a very stable ship with a draft of less than 26 feet in most cases. The deepest draft ship running until recently was the old Regal Empress which drew at least 32 feet. She was built in 1953, so that makes sense.

The modern cruise ship is flat bottomed and slab sided. This is why they are very stable.

A very good discussion about this aspect of ship design can be found in George W. Hilton's book Eastland: Legacy of the Titanic. The Eastland capsized in the Chicago River in 1915. It is out of print, but should be available at Amazon or ABE Books.

Doc

If I remember right, believe it's called draft, the Valor goes 28' under the water line, 3 floors plus, and the engines are down there, very heavy.. icon3.gif

I think it is probably related to the concern that Congressmn Coleman made in a Congressional hearing a few weeks ago about the possibility of Guam tipping over because it would become too populated if we enlarge our military base there. The cruiseships are not islands so I'm sure they wouldn't tip over.

This is the real reason, you may wish the question had not been asked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacentric_height

These ships are built of steel in the bottom, with the engines, fuel and ballast tanks down low to give lots of weight. The superstructures are aluminum and are basically huge empty spaces. Instant stability.

Marginally better than Cynthia McKinney, but still a state embarrassment.

Props to the Admiral. I couldn't have held it together. (see vid @ 1:30)

I want to deny I even live in Georgia!! What a disgrace for a political leader. And that stupid ass is going to draw retirement and health care plus all the other benefits that a congressman gets for THE REST OF HIS LIFE!! It's a pity one can't resend the appointment.

Fixed ballast, very wide beam, high cube design, water ballast, are all elements that combine to give a very stable ship with a draft of less than 26 feet in most cases. The deepest draft ship running until recently was the old Regal Empress which drew at least 32 feet. She was built in 1953, so that makes sense.

The modern cruise ship is flat bottomed and slab sided. This is why they are very stable.

A very good discussion about this aspect of ship design can be found in George W. Hilton's book Eastland: Legacy of the Titanic. The Eastland capsized in the Chicago River in 1915. It is out of print, but should be available at Amazon or ABE Books.

Doc

My first cruise was on the regal empress when she was the caribe I back in 1989.

Anyway like most have said here these ships have huge heavy keels google for some pics of some of these ships in dry dock you'll see.

KZ

I want to deny I even live in Georgia!! What a disgrace for a political leader. And that stupid ass is going to draw retirement and health care plus all the other benefits that a congressman gets for THE REST OF HIS LIFE!! It's a pity one can't resend the appointment.

Sun-R-Buns will be speaking for me today -- not only is THIS doofus getting all the bennies, but think of what Cynthia McKinney is getting as well -- for LIFE! and for what? For regularly embarrasing the very people she was supposed to represent . . . that's the list.

None of these formulas help me remembering being in a ship in the Pacific ocean, heading toward Hawaii, beginning to tip so bad the beds started sliding toward the door, as well as ALL THINGS LOOSE, emptying out pools, trashing the gift shops and liquor stores, as well as breaking a LOT of tableware dishes.

But I'm here, so obviously, the ship eventually righted itself. :)

- Here is a video of very rough seas with a cruise ship.

That ship did actually sink. It had 35 or so crew members on board, and they were rescued by the coast guard off Virginia or thereabouts. The ship had been taking on water and lost it's engines. It was one of Premier Cruises ships when they went out of business 7 or 8 years ago.

I remember watching one of those ship tour videos on the cabin TV and they said that everything you see of the ship sitting there next to the pier comprises something like 20%

or so of the weight of the ship, with the rest being below the waterline.

That ship did actually sink. It had 35 or so crew members on board, and they were rescued by the coast guard off Virginia or thereabouts. The ship had been taking on water and lost it's engines. It was one of Premier Cruises ships when they went out of business 7 or 8 years ago.

You're thinking of the SS Seabreeze, of the Dolphin Line. It sunk 10 years ago.

That video is not the Seabreeze.

300px-SeaBreeze.jpeg.32d32b93e8f77f7a32e2587bc7fda58c.jpeg

Archived