Classic international cruises - help

Pax106

Do you know what is going to happen with ATHENA? She is actually arrested in Marseille together with Princess Danae due to lack of payment from Shipowners. ARION another vessel of the fleet is also arrested in Kotor.

It seems that the Shipowners disapeared....

Where is Grant Hunter, anyone knows??

Can anyone inform what is going on with this company?

Hi, we're looking into this -- please feel free to send any info you have to cmcdaniel@cruisecritic.com! Hope to have something to report tomorrow....

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Do you know what is going to happen with ATHENA? She is actually arrested in Marseille together with Princess Danae due to lack of payment from Shipowners. ARION another vessel of the fleet is also arrested in Kotor.

I'm sure I saw cruises on sale for it's season here in last weeks paper.:confused:

A friend of mine cruised on Athena a couple of years ago and she's a Gin and Tonic drinker. They would only 'allow' her one block of ice in her glass...... :rolleyes:

Jilly:)

Hi Jilly,

Until the position is clarified , they are probably still for sale...:eek:

I have read on other boards where the founder of the company died a few months ago and his children have taken over the running on the business and they have apparently inherited a situation , of financial chaos.

I guess more will come out in time.

Seems like when the ship was arrested all passengers had to disembark. A charter flight was arranged to take them home.

Hounded by creditors, Athena and Princess Danae are stranded with 500 crew members on board.

http://www.lamarseillaise.fr/le-fait-du-jour/saisie-de-deux-navires-de-croisiere-a-marseille-27972-2.html

Heres some more news..

550 Crew Members are Waiting for their Salaries

http://www.crew-center.com/550-crew-members-are-waiting-their-salaries

Seems the crew are looking for their wages and flights home , and the banks , who have been financing the cruise line , have pulled the plug on any future funding.

Brings back memories of us waiting for the ship John was booked to work on arriving in Barcelona which it did and was immediately arrested.......as were the whole fleet one by one as they arrived in ports .....bye bye Festival ....feel for all those who are chasing answers and money from CTC..........

That's terrible news. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Funchal. She is supposed to be undergoing an extensive refit some where.

Last I heard Funchal was still in drydock, (I know not where) and required a further 6 million Euro to complete the refit. That has not been forthcoming and as far I know she is still sitting in drydock....somewhere.

I have read on other boards where the founder of the company died a few months ago and his children have taken over the running on the business and they have apparently inherited a situation , of financial chaos.

I guess more will come out in time.

Seems like when the ship was arrested all passengers had to disembark. A charter flight was arranged to take them home.

Hounded by creditors, Athena and Princess Danae are stranded with 500 crew members on board.

http://www.lamarseillaise.fr/le-fait-du-jour/saisie-de-deux-navires-de-croisiere-a-marseille-27972-2.html

Could you please let me know where I can read about it?

Last I heard Funchal was still in drydock, (I know not where) and required a further 6 million Euro to complete the refit. That has not been forthcoming and as far I know she is still sitting in drydock....somewhere.

I did a bit of digging and found beautiful Funchal laid-up alongside (she isn't in a drydock) at a place called Fabrica de Gas da Matinha in Lisbon, Portugal. Seems fitting, given her history, that she is in Lisbon. She is special ship I would hate to see her lost to cruising.

Strange though, it appears to be a large wharf area but doesn't appear to be a shipyard, I could be wrong, as I am not at all familiar with Lisbon.

We promised we'd get back to you on this and this is what we've found out: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4995

Please, if anyone has any further updates, let us know. Contact editor@cruisecritic.co.uk

Adam Coulter

We promised we'd get back to you on this and this is what we've found out: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4995

Please, if anyone has any further updates, let us know. Contact editor@cruisecritic.co.uk

Adam Coulter

Thanks for the info.Here is a classic example of the value of travel insurance.Just in case. :(

Does anyone knows why the crew and staff onboard the arrested vessels (Danae, Athena and Arion) did not disembark?

I got in touch with one crew member and they refuse to leave the vessel without being paid (3 months!!!).

There are rumours that shipowners are bankrupt....

I think that the flag authorities are not doing their job properly!!

Isn't this CRIME!!!:mad:

Heres one of the latest reports that states the crew left on board are running out of food and still have not been paid..

http://www.bairdmaritime.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13423:classic-international-cruises-ships-under-arrest&catid=96:cruiseferry&Itemid=116

CIC said at the end of last week that it was trying to convince the bank to provide it with financing for the payment of crew wages and repatriation costs. It added that it was concerned about the plight of its crews who were starting to run out of food and power.

Archived