Cankles

Does anyone get cankles (that is swollen ankles for the lay person, lol) on a cruise? I get them usually by the second day. Not sure if it is the food, too much activites, too much alcohol, or they are just a part of my 'sea legs'.

Also any advise on how to get rid of them?

I get them when I fly and in really warm climates as well. Your best bet is to watch your salt intake, drink lots of water and if they get really bad, I take a diuretic for a day or two. I also lay on the be with me feet above me for a half hour or so, that really seems to help.

For me it's a combination of things...too much food, too much alchohol, lots of heat and humidity, and plenty of laying around.

On flights now, I've started making sure that I move my legs alot, doing some ankle rotations and toe flexes, and I get up and walk around as much as I can. That seems to help.

I get them when I fly and in really warm climates as well. Your best bet is to watch your salt intake, drink lots of water and if they get really bad, I take a diuretic for a day or two. I also lay on the be with me feet above me for a half hour or so, that really seems to help.

For me it's a combination of things...too much food, too much alchohol, lots of heat and humidity, and plenty of laying around.

On flights now, I've started making sure that I move my legs alot, doing some ankle rotations and toe flexes, and I get up and walk around as much as I can. That seems to help.

I agree. This happens to me on every cruise. I take a diuretic and keep my feet elevated as much as possible. Seems to be worse in very warm weather.

I bought a bottle of the black cherry capsules mentioned in the other thread and will take them two weeks before leaving and while on board. Figured it couldn't hurt to try!

Me too:)....Melanie (the gal who posted about them) said they

REALLY WORKED GREAT:D....(not yelling at you;))just using the

caps for emphasis.....I bought a bottle of them and will start taking

them later in April......I leave for my cruise on May 9th and will be

flying to Rome.

Why not speak with your doctor about perhaps using a diuretic?

Hi, is the question for all of us or specific to 1 person?

After reading how well the cherry capsules worked for Melaine I am

choosing this way. I know what diuretics do....then end up making you

pee all day long:eek:....I will be on excursions all day long.

And from what Melaine said (she wrote quite a long post about how

well they worked):):D.....I am choosing to try these:)

• 3 weeks later...

I often would get very swollen feet and cankles when sailing. Someone on CC recommended that I only drink bottled water. On my last cruise, the first couple of days I would drink the tap water with dinner but bottled water when out and about.....my feet were swelling. I switched to only bottled water and they went to normal. If there is a choice of bottled water, look for options with the lowest sodium content.

• 1 month later...
I bought a bottle of the black cherry capsules mentioned in the other thread and will take them two weeks before leaving and while on board. Figured it couldn't hurt to try!

We went to Florida to see my Brother & Sister -in -Law before our cruise on April 10th. My Husbands feet always swell like a balloon so, 2 weeks before we left we both took Black Cherry capsules, 2 a day till after we came back. Our feet did not swell & my Artheritis did not bother me. When we got home we stoped them & my Artheritis started to bother me so, I went and bought some more. We did check with the Doctor first. I just wanted to let everyone know that they worked for us.:p

Archived