railings on ship

rebric

we are taking our fist cruise on the Holiday with a six year old girl. Do any other parents have a concern of their children climbing on the railings?

I am more concerned if she is at camp carnival and they take the kids on a tour or something and she is not with us.

The railings are about 4 feet high. You dont accidently fall over them unless you find a way to climb up on the railings. They have plexiglass or metal up to where the railing is. There are very few places where there are railings that they would be taking your little girl, the area around the pool, or above it?

Someone would see if she climbed up on a chair to get up on the railing. Unless she is a little monkey, like some kids Iv known, you dont have anything to worry about.

Most of those falling over are drunk, some naked, some from their balconys trying to join the balcony club etc. It would be very hard to accidently fall over for anyone.

At six years old I am sure your daughter is old enough to understand the importance of being careful.

This would be a good time to have a little talk with her about the railings and any art work she may see on the ship. ;)

Yea but seriously have a little talk with her.

I am sure the Camp Carnival folks have plenty of experience dealing with the little ones and keeping them safe.

• Administrators
The railings are about 4 feet high. You dont accidently fall over them unless you find a way to climb up on the railings. They have plexiglass or metal up to where the railing is. There are very few places where there are railings that they would be taking your little girl, the area around the pool, or above it?

Someone would see if she climbed up on a chair to get up on the railing. Unless she is a little monkey, like some kids Iv known, you dont have anything to worry about.

Most of those falling over are drunk, some naked, some from their balconys trying to join the balcony club etc. It would be very hard to accidently fall over for anyone.

And apart from those folks, there are (sadly) many for whom it wasn't an accident. To the OP, I've NEVER seen a report of a child accidentally falling off a cruise ship (any cruise ship). When a "man overboard" happens the media likes to report that someone "fell" -- but typically they either took a chance and reaped the consequences (whether via foolishness or drunkenness), or they intentionally jumped, not fell.

There is really only 3 ways to go overboard (usually) one is doing something less than intelligent, two you want to go over, or three someone else wants you to go over. I also have never heard of someone under the watch of camp carnival or any other cruise lines childrens program going over.

At six years old I am sure your daughter is old enough to understand the importance of being careful.

This would be a good time to have a little talk with her about the railings and any art work she may see on the ship. ;)

I am sure the Camp Carnival folks have plenty of experience dealing with the little ones and keeping them safe.

Cruisin Ron, you are too funny! Art work indeed!

Pat

we are taking our fist cruise on the Holiday with a six year old girl. Do any other parents have a concern of their children climbing on the railings?

I am more concerned if she is at camp carnival and they take the kids on a tour or something and she is not with us.

our oldest granddaughter had just turned 6yrs old one week before we took her on a cruise (she is now 13) i made a rule that she was not to get within 12 inches of the railing unless we held her hand. no worry of her going over as the railing was much taller than her. it was to just stress "no funny stuff" she would not even get within the 12 inches if i took a photo of her. pretty much the places they take the kids are closed in (no outside/railings) and there is lots of workers for each group. from my observation (8 cruise's) i would worry more about parents not watching kids than the workers, so you are good to go if you watch her.

we have also cruised with other grandkids and on one cruise took all three of them. the youngest was not even 2 yrs old the first cruise. they are not scared to death, but can see the danger of clowning around.

whether or not this is one of those threads...whenever someone falls over board there are always threads out there about how high the railing is...but like others have mentioned you cant really accidentally fall over the railings. They are high enough that you would have to be doing something silly or unsafe for it to happen

We have taken our grandkids on cruises starting when they were 5, the oldest is now 15 and has been on 7 with #8 in December. Everytime we go I point out the dangers of going over the railing. I do not fear accidentally falling off but horseplay. I tell them that once you go there is no coming back, you will either go under and not come up or will be sucked under the ship and minced into fish food. The fish food part usually puts the fear into them. In fact they went home and told my daughter what can happen when they were telling her about their vacation. But I also will never travel in a balcony room with them, only OV.

I spent several months prior to our cruise with grandkids (4-14) impressing the Rules on them. Number one rule was Don't climb on the railings. No problems once onboard, even with the monkey in the group. That 4 year old is a serious terror, but never once attempted to climb the rails. She did pull a chair over to the railing once and climb on it, but still could not get over the railing.

I just got off the Paradise with my 5 and 2 year olds. On deck 12 I was very worried about the railings at first as they were just bars spaced about 1.5 feet apart (no glass barrier), however they did come up about 5ft or so. Both of my kids were small enough that they could squeeze in between the bars if they decided to be crazy monkeys. We had a serious little chat that they were both to stay far away from the railings and I never had a problem with either one of them getting close and never took my eyes off of them when we were on open decks. Deck 12 was the most worrisome of the decks as other decks "dropped" onto lower decks and not the ocean.

I am not sure how the railings are constructed on other Carnival ships but if you ever sail on the Paradise I would just tell your 6 year old to stay away from them unless standing next to you and she/he will be fine:)

My 5 year old went to Camp Carnival and loved it but I would pick her up before they did dinner with friends on the Lido deck just as a peice of mind. I was fine with her going in a safe contained room but got anxious about her moving from one side of the ship to another. I am just a worry wart of a mom though so just ignore me if you are not:)

... you can't really accidentally fall over the railings.

They are high enough that you would have to be doing something silly or unsafe for it to happen

You have to try real hard !

Victory-238.jpg

See railings at left.

Sorry I can't find you a better shot, to illustrate..

but hopefully this will allay your fears.

And going up forward, those railings get very high (I'm six feet and can barely look over!!)

OnDeck-104.jpg

I took my grandson, who was almost 4 at the time, on a cruise in May of last year, and all I had to do was show him how high up we were while still docked in Galveston...and how far he would fall if he went over...:D Seriously, he and I had numerous talks, before AND during the cruise...like others here have said, the rails are too tall to just "fall" over...

That is really funny, Ron!!!:D

DSC02242.jpg

Of course, I watched him like a HAWK...:eek::D

Now that picture there illustrates why I would never want to go on a cruise with kids. I have only been on the Sensation, and I remember looking at the railing and thinking that there would be kids that could crawl between the rails if they wanted to. I use to work in daycare and I wouldn't put it past some kids! It made me nervous just standing there with my husband. I was just surprised that they don't have to have some type of plexiglass on every single railing (and why they wouldn't want to have it??).

There is really only 3 ways to go overboard (usually) one is doing something less than intelligent, two you want to go over, or three someone else wants you to go over. I also have never heard of someone under the watch of camp carnival or any other cruise lines childrens program going over.

I'm going to have to remember that! Thanks!

I thought they all did have plexiglass! We leave Sat., and my one fear about cruising is falling off the boat. I know it's silly and won't happen, but I have a fear of heights and falling in general. From looking at the last pic, I can see how it would be possible.

Knock wood, but I don't believe that there has EVER been an incident of a young child crawling through a ship's railing and falling to their death. Thousands of children cruise each year without incident. There is no substitute for constant supervision, however, when you are dealing with very young children. I wouldn't let fear of a child crawling through the railing prevent me from taking my child on a cruise. There truly is much more risk and proven detriment to taking a child on a car ride than on a cruise.

Now that picture there illustrates why I would never want to go on a cruise with kids. I have only been on the Sensation, and I remember looking at the railing and thinking that there would be kids that could crawl between the rails if they wanted to. I use to work in daycare and I wouldn't put it past some kids! It made me nervous just standing there with my husband. I was just surprised that they don't have to have some type of plexiglass on every single railing (and why they wouldn't want to have it??).

Well, the rails on our balcony were metal...he could just barely see over! What made me angry, and this has nothing to do with this thread, is before sailaway, zach is standing beside me, looking out, and a total stranger (man) comes up behind him and says, "BOO"!!! I was SO mad! I have no idea why he did that, but everytime we saw him onboard, he would say BOO to zach!:mad::confused:

I thought they all did have plexiglass! We leave Sat., and my one fear about cruising is falling off the boat. I know it's silly and won't happen, but I have a fear of heights and falling in general. From looking at the last pic, I can see how it would be possible.

I don't like heights either, but I DO love cruising! I've also been to the Grand Canyon, and i didn't like THOSE heights either!:eek::D Seriously though, you will be just fine! Just use common sense and you will be fine! Have a good time!:)

For whatever reason I developed somewhat of a fear of heights now as I have gotten a little older. I made a point to be very careful about the railing, and even though it did freak me out, the one thing I made sure not to do again was walk outside and up the stairs off the lido deck at night when we were out at sea. I don't know if it was just the September weather/rough seas, but it was so windy I felt like I was going to be blown away. I definitely didn't do that again!!

Archived