What's up with Bermuda?

JMHAM1

Bermuda has been hammered with hurricanes and weather this year and it looks like another is on its way this weekend.

I would like to get your opinion on Bermuda. Are there months that are too cold to be in the water comfortably? What are the best months to go?

What do you like and what did you miss?

How is it docked for 3 days vs moving port to port? This is the reason we have not done Bermuda. I thought I would miss the sailing overnight and waking up to a new port feeling.

Bermuda is beautiful. We're been there many times over the years on different cruise ships. Ship docks for 3-5 days, and it's the most wonderful experience.

I think this year's hurricane season is just very unusual. We were on NCL Gem on 9/4 and thought we'd get to Bermuda but got diverted to Bahamas/Florida. Not out choice, but OK.

I would say the best time is May/June. It was out first time going in Sept, and the hurricane diverted us. All previous times we went in May and it was perfect. Next year we're going again to Bermuda, but this time in May :)

I've done Bermuda twice so far (May of 2010, and last July). I'll keep coming back because not only is the island beautiful, but since NCL docks there for two and a half days there's no anxiety of the ship leaving without you.

The month of May is almost perfect. The air temperature is very warm and the land looks really lush. The only downside for me is that I prefer warm water temperature and it's still a little chilly for me (77-78f when I went)

When I went last July, it was really, really humid. The island was still beautiful but the humidity was pretty intense. But, the water temperature was more closer to 86f which did feel good.

I'm sure the Bermuda port section can give you more advice on what to do, but the usual hot spots is Horseshoe Bay Beach. I also recommend taking a ferry over to St. George if you want to get more of a neighborhood vibe. It's quiet there, which is a huge plus.

bermuda is a fantastic Island. so much to see and do. We have been twice for those 3 day stays and still only scratching the surface. Bermuda is one of the few Islands I would like to spend more and more time on. it is very hot in the summer months but then the water is also that much warmer, so that aspect is very enjoyable. hurricanes are hit and miss each year. I would like to go in Sept. Weather is good, water is still very warm, I 'll take my shot with hurricanes.

We have been to Bermuda in August, three times, which is basically the height of hurricane season. We actually had pretty calm seas each time. Bermuda is amazing, and IMO the most beautiful place on earth. The time spent docked at the Dockyard is great. You can get off and on the ship with no hastle at any time. This is the first year we were not able to go due to my unemployment. However, we have another sailing scheduled for next October and we can't wait.

We went in June, the weather & water were beautiful.

DW & I are headed there for the first time 4 weeks from Sunday on the Gem.

I have some history(family) though, as my Cousin, who is about to retire from the AF(45 years!) was stationed there in the mid-1970's after his return from Vietnam.

I'm doing a private tour on Day 2, and a sponsored tour on Day 1(St. George). I do a lot of research on Vacations, and being a Ret. Teacher & Ret. Army Officer i'm somewhat the history buff...Even though I'm "retired" from full time teaching/sports coaching, I work from home in the sports media industry, and since we didn't do a "regular" vacation this summer we really need this trip! This will also be our first "Vacation" since 2002 that doesn't have at least one day of "work" built in....

Bill(DrFootball)

This Medal is awarded to the Aviator who has “distinguished himself by Heroism, Gallantry or Extraordinary Achievement while participating in aerial flight.” - The Army Distinguished Flying Cross

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

Bermuda hasn't been "hammered" by any hurricanes this year, it's just that hurricanes and tropical storms have been passing close enough to Bermuda, or more accurately to the route the cruise ships take between New York and Bermuda to require rerouting of several cruises. In fact Bermuda rarely takes a direct hit from a hurricane.

We've been cruising regularly to Bermuda for more than 20 years, and are going for a second time this year in late October, having already cruised there in late April. We have never been rerouted away from Bermuda or had our visit cut short during that time, although a couple of times we did get close enough to storms to have a very bumpy trip for a day.

We find Bermuda to be one of the most beautiful and peaceful places to visit, particularly among destinations easily reachable from the eastern US. After so many trips there we go for the mental tranquility it seems to bring us.

Ditto ~ Ditto ~ Ditto !

October has our votes . Going again in 4 weeks :)

Bermuda hasn't been "hammered" by any hurricanes this year, it's just that hurricanes and tropical storms have been passing close enough to Bermuda, or more accurately to the route the cruise ships take between New York and Bermuda to require rerouting of several cruises. In fact Bermuda rarely takes a direct hit from a hurricane.

We've been cruising regularly to Bermuda for more than 20 years, and are going for a second time this year in late October, having already cruised there in late April. We have never been rerouted away from Bermuda or had our visit cut short during that time, although a couple of times we did get close enough to storms to have a very bumpy trip for a day.

We find Bermuda to be one of the most beautiful and peaceful places to visit, particularly among destinations easily reachable from the eastern US. After so many trips there we go for the mental tranquility it seems to bring us.

Ditto ~ Ditto ~ Ditto !

October has our votes . Going again in 4 weeks :)

We hope it's nice and calm...BTT we get there it will be early Nov.....

BTW, sry you won't be at the Sail Away after all, but we'll see you the next day @ the Meet & Greet..And I will try to look for you on 10/9 at MET Life...

Bill(DrFootball)

"Come in here dear boy have a cigar your gonna go far, your gonna fly high, your never gonna die, they're gonna love you" Roger Waters & David Gilmour Of PINK FLOYD from "Have a Cigar" off the album "Wish you were Here"-1975

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

Just off the Bermuda trip from Boston. Left Boston on a cloudy, foggy, mid 60's day. Woke up next day in upper 70's and sunny weather. In Bermuda it was sunny and upper 80's all three days there. Coming back was mid 80's first day and sunny; mid-seventies second day and sunny into cloudy into rain showers.

All in all --perfect weather!!:) I feel bad for the folks who got hung up in the two weeks of hurricane mess. It is always a risk this time of year. But this was our third trip at end of September into October--it has been PERFECT for all three trips both the weather going down and coming back as well as the weather in Bermuda.

Archived