The Orkneys and Kirkwall

Hi Karen:

I've been hoping to get back there too. In 2010 I hope to do a northern TA out of GB. Like you, while looking around at 2009 itineraries, I noticed

Kirkwall wasn't anywhere I could find this year. It is a tender port.

If no one chimes in with an itinerary for 2009, maybe email Caz Mamwell at info@orkneyarchaeologytours.co.uk. 8 of us used her guiding services in 2007. She was wonderful, full of the whole 5000 years of history that are the Orkneys! She seemed to know all the other guides we passed along the way. For sure, those guides know every ship/pax load headed their way in 2009.

Martha

Amazing information. Cruise ships that I am finding that are still tendering in Kirkwall are Costa, Seabourn and Orient lines. Most of their itineraries involve Iceland or the Fiords. I guess I am looking for a cruise that mirrors the 2005 trip that included Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

We may just have to combine a land trip with a cruise to get back to the wonderful Orkneys and this time I would like to learn more about them with a guide .So thank you Martha and Globilizer for the info.

If I find out anymore re the major lines I will pass it along. Karen.

Karen, overall we were well pleased with the Marco Polo cruise & it was the Celtic Explorer that we did. Ship is old but very well maintained & good 3* ship. Food was quite good & to our taste but some people find that subjective, one meal of salmon with red onion marmalade was well up to Celebrity standards. We were not very keen on the buffet arrangements (it is an older ship when most people dined in dining room) therefor we ate as much as possible in the dining room. Entertainment was better than expected with a tallented troupe from the states of the former Soviet union doing all the shows in perfect English. We did not land in Jersey but arrived in Cork early (12-14 hrs early). This also meant we went round Lands End in daylight instead of night time. Hope this helps.

Archived