Buying jewelry on the cruise ship?

Yazoo cruiser

We have occasionally bought some jewelry on the ship, nothing really expensive, with no problem. A friend of my daughter recently bought a ring, approximately $1,000, and it has started to tarnish. Anyone know what Carnival policy is about replacing jewelry? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

We have occasionally bought some jewelry on the ship, nothing really expensive, with no problem. A friend of my daughter recently bought a ring, approximately $1,000, and it has started to tarnish. Anyone know what Carnival policy is about replacing jewelry? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

No, but my first thought is she may want to double check what it's made from. If it's silver, that's normal. No matter if she paid $10 or $10,000. Silver tarnishes.

No, but my first thought is she may want to double check what it's made from. If it's silver, that's normal. No matter if she paid $10 or $10,000. Silver tarnishes.

that was my first thought.

if its white gold then it should say so on the receipt. They have some silver jewelry, but even though its beautiful, I know I turn silver in no time.

We bought a cheap ring, didnt say silver, but it turned within 2 weeks in May. Dissapointing ...but Iv learned my lesson I swear. Only white gold

I bought a watch that was electro plated with 10 K gold and It is fine.. I have a nickle allergy and am extremely sensative to " junk" jewelry grade nickle but this one is fine and it has been almost 6 months..I'd call Carnival and ask.. wouldn't hurt:)

When you buy the Jewelry on the ship they give you the receipt with a guarantee, cert of auth. & an appraisal, it will tell you how to return for a replacement piece, the customer service number is on the back of the Cert of Auth. they have a pretty good policy, if you are cruising within a year of purchase, you can also return it on any ship.

Is she can't find her paperwork she can call Carnival, they will give her the number to the correct person to talk to.

From my neice who is and works for a well known jewelry chain....

If it's white gold they no longer put as much silver in with the metal. You may need to have it re rhodiumed ....ALL white gold jewelry bought within the last 5 years or so need to be re rhodiumed at least every 6 months or it will look tarnished and dull.

that was my first thought.

if its white gold then it should say so on the receipt. They have some silver jewelry, but even though its beautiful, I know I turn silver in no time.

We bought a cheap ring, didnt say silver, but it turned within 2 weeks in May. Dissapointing ...but Iv learned my lesson I swear. Only white gold

Being Male and Oblivious, I never was aware of this - Thanks for the heads-Up!!! ken

From my neice who is and works for a well known jewelry chain....

If it's white gold they no longer put as much silver in with the metal. You may need to have it re rhodiumed ....ALL white gold jewelry bought within the last 5 years or so need to be re rhodiumed at least every 6 months or it will look tarnished and dull.

And that's why I wouldn't buy from well known chains.......:eek:

As far as the piece of jewelry in question....$1000 is kind of high for a silver ring. It's probably supposed to be 14K white gold...and it shouldn't be tarnishing. She should send it back and see what they say. (My bet is that they will say it isn't their merchandise.)

Hopefully she still has her receipt. I would take it with me on my next cruise and talk to them.

I got the jewelry people to change some clasps for me too, so they can do a few things onboard. They should at least exchange it for something of the same value.

From a well known jewelry website:

White Gold

White gold is created by an alloy of nickel and other metals (copper and zinc) mixed with gold. Nickel is the largest component of this alloy, giving the gold a white color.

White gold can also be made with an alloy that contains a higher concentration of silver, making it a good choice for people with a sensitivity to nickel.

I'm guessing this is the real answer, not gold or not.

I had to send back a ring that I purchased on the ship. I called the number that was on the warranty. They told me to send the ring back with a copy of the warranty and receipt. I insured it for the price of the ring, and sent it back. I assumed that they would send me the same ring back, after it was fixed. They contacted me and said it could not be fixed, and they did not have any replacement. I got my full purchase price back. It all took place within 2 weeks. No problems at all.

Just make sure you have the receipt and warranty information.

Also, the warranty was only for 1 year from purchase, so if you are not going on another cruise before then, make sure to get it sent to them in time.

Claudia

And that's why I wouldn't buy from well known chains.......:eek:

As far as the piece of jewelry in question....$1000 is kind of high for a silver ring. It's probably supposed to be 14K white gold...and it shouldn't be tarnishing. She should send it back and see what they say. (My bet is that they will say it isn't their merchandise.)

Hmmmm yeah it will still look tarnished..price has nothing to do with it. My $10,000 14 karat white gold 2 carat diamond ring still needs re-rhodiumed every 6 months. (This one was bought at a reputable WELL known seller of jewelry and fine collectables.)

Hmmmm yeah it will still look tarnished..price has nothing to do with it. My $10,000 14 karat white gold 2 carat diamond ring still needs re-rhodiumed every 6 months. (This one was bought at a reputable WELL known seller of jewelry and fine collectables.)

Tarnishing may have something to do with body chemistry....and how the skin's moisture and the metal interact

I put all my rings in jewelry cleaner after I wear them.....for a few hours

I have white gold rings of all ages....(I'm a jewelry lover...design my own pieces)

I buy (or have my designs set) most things from the diamond district in NYC....independent diamond merchants/jewelers (nothing from well known sellers or stores)

I've never had anything tarnish or need to be re-rhodiumed....and everything looks as good as the day I brought them home

Being from MT and the west..my most coveted item is a Hopi silver chain piece from pre 70's when a lot of stuff got melted down..very simple hand done links that can be a necklace or belt..I use a silver cloth for jewelry on all my silver..there is a polish and a buff cloth..they are amazing...make things a natural shiny..and keeps the black part in a design black.

This rhodinized thing is rather new..I have heard of it more recently for traditional jewelry. Quality and truth in what one is getting is hard to get to in jewelry..there is like a 1000% mark-up I think in this buisiness..

I did buy a silver necklace with a light aquablue topaz and tiny diamond on top of it on a cruise for $79.00 in 1992. I buy very little nice/nice jewelry..but once in a rare while a special deal. I think on a cruise ship you have to think of the jewelry a little like the art..what you can afford/enjoy within reason but do not expect a fabulous high end deal or a real high high quality...that being said..all my silver necklace..traditional dressy..has ever needed is that silver cloth. Happy shopping!!

From a well known jewelry website:

White Gold

White gold is created by an alloy of nickel and other metals (copper and zinc) mixed with gold. Nickel is the largest component of this alloy, giving the gold a white color.

White gold can also be made with an alloy that contains a higher concentration of silver, making it a good choice for people with a sensitivity to nickel.

I'm guessing this is the real answer, not gold or not.

This is exactly it. White gold is essentially yellow gold that is dipped into a silvery coating. All of my friends who have white gold wedding sets get them "re-dipped" every 6 months-1 year. You can tell when it needs done because the yellow gold starts to show through and it begins to look "tarnished."

This is one of the issues and something you should expect with white gold.

Being from MT and the west..my most coveted item is a Hopi silver chain piece from pre 70's when a lot of stuff got melted down..very simple hand done links that can be a necklace or belt..I use a silver cloth for jewelry on all my silver..there is a polish and a buff cloth..they are amazing...make things a natural shiny..and keeps the black part in a design black.

This rhodinized thing is rather new..I have heard of it more recently for traditional jewelry. Quality and truth in what one is getting is hard to get to in jewelry..there is like a 1000% mark-up I think in this buisiness..

I did buy a silver necklace with a light aquablue topaz and tiny diamond on top of it on a cruise for $79.00 in 1992. I buy very little nice/nice jewelry..but once in a rare while a special deal. I think on a cruise ship you have to think of the jewelry a little like the art..what you can afford/enjoy within reason but do not expect a fabulous high end deal or a real high high quality...that being said..all my silver necklace..traditional dressy..has ever needed is that silver cloth. Happy shopping!!

I think this may be something that "well known chains" do....to insure that customers will pay to "maintain & service".

Next time I visit the "diamond district" I'm going to ask....

Just a note....whenever I go...the sellers offer to steam clean whatever I'm wearing...and no one has ever told me my ring needs to be rerhodinized.

I just compared 12 white gold rings that I own...14K & 18K....some may be 10 years old...and the newest is less than a month.

The color on all is the same...I don't see any tarnishing or any yellow gold.

Maybe I take better care...I don't do physical work with them on....I never get soap or any detergents on them....I let them soak in jewelry cleaner after each wearing...I take them off when at home....I treat them with love. :)

Maybe because I buy direct from the diamond district and get a better quality...no malls...no dept. stores...no middlemen

I don't know...why....but my jewelry requires no professional maintenance.

Next time I go "jewelry shopping" I'm going to ask what my secret is. :)

Just remembered something....

I needed a diamond set about a year ago....and I found the "finished" setting I wanted, but it was in yellow gold.

The jeweler said he could "dip" the setting...and it would be white gold...but it would have to be rhodinized periodically to maintain the color.

Instead...I had it set in "white"...

I saw the "raw" setting (it was not a finished setting) before the work was done. The "gold" looked like dull steel at the time...it wasn't yellow. I don't know the process to make it shiny...but it was a white metal...not yellow and dipped into white.

This is exactly it. White gold is essentially yellow gold that is dipped into a silvery coating. All of my friends who have white gold wedding sets get them "re-dipped" every 6 months-1 year. You can tell when it needs done because the yellow gold starts to show through and it begins to look "tarnished."

This is one of the issues and something you should expect with white gold.

Real White Gold is just what the quote above says: an alloy of various metals which are melted together and then cast into shape. It is not yellow gold which has been simply dipped in order to modify the color.

Perhaps this will provide some additional information http://www.jewelrygenius.com/RoseWhRv.html

"White gold is created by increasing the silver-colored alloys (zinc, silver, nickel) normally mixed with gold and decreasing the yellow-colored alloys (copper). 14K white gold contains as much gold as 14K yellow gold but is nearly white in color: NOTE -- white gold still has a very, very faint yellowish hint unless it is plated with rhodium, a common industry practice which we do not use because of the following reason: Because the rhodium plating eventually wears off in raised areas, it leaves splotches of yellowish color which show up noticeably against the unworn areas. White gold is available both in 14K and in 18K. The 14K white gold (which we use) has less of the yellow hint."

Here is the contact information for any items purchased on a Carnival ship...

Starboard Cruise Services

Customer Service Department

8034 N. W. 14th Street

Miami, Fl. 33126

1-800-540-4785

I think this may be something that "well known chains" do....to insure that customers will pay to "maintain & service".

And there's a sucker born every minute who will fall for that, hook, line and sinker. NO WAY I am paying for real gold and then pay AGAIN every six months to have it replated. Wouldn't it make more sense just to go with platinum if you wanted a silver metal that bad? My rings are platinum and I have never had any problem with tarnishing, needing replating, or any other type of "servicing". They were SLIGHTLY more expensive than the gold up front, but certainly nothing in the realm of what it is going to cost someone to have white gold replated every 6 months or so for the life of the ring. Good God, the things people will fall for :eek::rolleyes:

Next time I visit the "diamond district" I'm going to ask....

Just a note....whenever I go...the sellers offer to steam clean whatever I'm wearing...and no one has ever told me my ring needs to be rerhodinized.

I just compared 12 white gold rings that I own...14K & 18K....some may be 10 years old...and the newest is less than a month.

The color on all is the same...I don't see any tarnishing or any yellow gold.

Maybe I take better care...I don't do physical work with them on....I never get soap or any detergents on them....I let them soak in jewelry cleaner after each wearing...I take them off when at home....I treat them with love. :)

Maybe because I buy direct from the diamond district and get a better quality...no malls...no dept. stores...no middlemen

I don't know...why....but my jewelry requires no professional maintenance.

Next time I go "jewelry shopping" I'm going to ask what my secret is. :)

Bingo!

Archived