Carnival Glory to Saint John, Nb Canada

Sue909

Has anyone ever cruised to Saint John? We were thinking of cruising there in August and wanted to know the weather there and what there is to do at the Port. Also, does the Glory have a water slide?

Thanks!

Sue

Has anyone ever cruised to Saint John? We were thinking of cruising there in August and wanted to know the weather there and what there is to do at the Port. Also, does the Glory have a water slide?

Thanks!

Sue

We were there and it was the least exciting port of the 4 we had.

The people are very kind & hospitable, but no a whole lot to do. We were going to go to the bay of fundy & cave, but decieded against it. Wish we had.

I got up earlier than my husband so went for an exercise walk and discovered not a whole lot to explore & it was raining. I had seen a tour bus offering tours and got the last 2 seats on that.

Go to the Canda section of the boards under ports of call & you will find lots of info as well as in the members review sections.

Thanks!

Sue

Hi Sue, i grew up in Saint John, miss it like crazy!

Expect the weather to be moderate, not sure where you are from for a reference to normal but it is warm in the summer with lots of fog and frequent rain. There are many things to see, depending on what you are interested in. Within walking distance of the pier there is a lot of historical sites and architecture, taxis are quite inexpensive to get around the city to see Reversing Falls, Rockwood park or the Nature Trails. Ask away, if you want more info. I think this will soon be moved to Ports of Call though. I'll watch for it if you like, but will be away all next week on my cruise :D

Thanks!

Sue

We did St. John as part of the 5 night itinerary. St. John was a bit dissapointing. As others mentioned, people are friendly and very hospitable, but we were a bit bored. We took a ship sponsored shore excursion of St. John which showed us some highlights, including the Reversing Falls (which are nothing more than a portion of the river which reverses flow with the changing tides), the picturesque City Market, and the historic Carleton Martello Tower. Although it was a nice visit, the only thing that truly impressed us about the area were the wildly changing tides in the Bay of Fundy.

We didn't go in August. We were there in June and it was a bit chilly. 2 days the temperature dipped into the 40's, with rain and wind.

If your schedule allows it, try to take the 5 night which includes Halifax. We truly LOVED this town. The Maritime Museum and the Citadel are very interesting. We also visited the picture perfect fishing village of Peggy's Cove. Truly the higlight of our cruise!

We've done it three times, on the Triumph, and the Victory.

The town is quaint. Pick something that interests you, rent a car, or walk around town and have a nice lunch (we ate at Billy's).

Weather can be foggy, cold, or warm. You can hit three seasons in one cruise.

Hi,

I have done the 4 day cruise a number of times as well as the 5 day one. I have come to enjoy Saint John, its small but it a lovely town to walk around. The last time I went we took a tour to St. Andrews which is a lovey seaside town, well worth the trip. (about an hour away)

I will be going again this June and plan to take a tour to St. Michaels (small fishing town with caves, 55 minutes away) and do the Fundy trail. If you check the Ports part of the boards there is lots of great info, including a map of the points of interest in town.

I grew up in Saint John, and while I would agree that the city lacks pazazz. I would say that there are many many interesting things in the city to see and do. It is a very historic city. The oldest in the country. I don't know if tours go to Fundy National Park or Kings Landing, but both of these places would be wonderful to visit if time allows.

Definitely book a tour. We were there in October and it was cold, rainy and nasty, which was pretty much the theme for the cruise. We did walk to the city market and it was okay, but in August you should have better weather.

• 2 months later...

Archived