Taxi Fares From Ft. Lauderdale Airport To Cruise Port, Cost Factor/Experience?

Bishopcfd

Greetings,

My wife and I are getting ready to book a cruise on the Crown Princess for next April. I am sure we will be offered transportation from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the Port Everglades cruise port. From what I have seen, it is really not that far away. I do not have transportation pricing from either the TA or Princess so I can not compare cost factors. I do have a couple of questions related to taxi service between the points above.

1). What is today's one way cost of taxi fare from FLL to Port Everglades and vice versa? I don't care about next year because I am sure that those prices will go up.

2). Related to FLL:

a). How easy is it to hail a taxi at FLL?

b). We will be returning a rental car on the day of the cruise departure. Can we hail a taxi from the rental car drop off or will we have to go back to a terminal?

c). If we have to go back to a terminal, which one has the easiest terminal to hail a taxi and where do we go to hail a taxi?

d). How long of a ride is it from FLL to Port Everglades?

e). Stupid question. Where would we be dropped off upon arriving at Port Everglades? (re: at the ship, up the road, at the terminal, etc)

3). Related to Port Everglades:

a). How easy is it to hail a taxi at Port Everglades upon exiting the ship?

b). If we can hail a taxi, were would we go?

c). Does the cruise line have to be notified that we will be taking a taxi back to the airport?

If there is any more information that someone can provide, please let me know. We did a bus before from Orlando to Port Canaveral and from FLL to Miami. Not too thrilled about this idea again, but if it is cheaper than the taxi, we will do it.

Thanks

taxi is FLL is probably the easiest and cheapest anywhere. It is only a couple of miles, and the fare should be about $10....you will be dropped off right where the porters take your bags and beside the entrance to the terminal...and No, there is no need to tell the cruise line that you are taking a cab.

If travelling was this easy everwhere else, more people would be doing it:D

Taxis are generally very easy to get at Port Everglades. In fact, you can't walk 10 feet outside the terminal without being asked if you need one. Do NOT buy Princess transfers for Fort Lauderdale; it is much easier, cheaper and quicker to just take a taxi. (I seem to recall it was closer to $15, or maybe I am recalling the price with tip).

You might phone the local office for your rental car agency and see if they will drop you off at Port Everglades. Everything is located so close there that they might. You can easily get a taxi at any terminal at Fort Lauderdale airport.

The ship only needs to know if you are taking a Princess transfer or have an usually early flight; otherwise, there is no need to fill them in.

I was at FLL / Port Everglades just last month. Ditto on what was posted; it's barely a long enough drive for the taxi to get it's engine hot. It's almost out one gate (from FLL) drive a few blocks and through the gate at the port.

Yes, the taxi will drop you off at the specific terminal for your ship; it will be right where the porters are to take your luggage from you. As I had two large wheeled, very heavy, bags, I tipped the porter $20.

Then upon leaving the terminal (after the cruise), once I identified my two bags, a porter had them on his cart & through customs we went. He then took me to a line for taxies; he got a $20 also.

I was at FLL / Port Everglades just last month. Ditto on what was posted; it's barely a long enough drive for the taxi to get it's engine hot. It's almost out one gate (from FLL) drive a few blocks and through the gate at the port.

Yes, the taxi will drop you off at the specific terminal for your ship; it will be right where the porters are to take your luggage from you. As I had two large wheeled, very heavy, bags, I tipped the porter $20.

Then upon leaving the terminal (after the cruise), once I identified my two bags, a porter had them on his cart & through customs we went. He then took me to a line for taxies; he got a $20 also.

You are going to ruin it for us average tippers - the norm is $2 per bag or maybe a tad more - but $20????

Greetings,

My wife and I are getting ready to book a cruise on the Crown Princess for next April. I am sure we will be offered transportation from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the Port Everglades cruise port. From what I have seen, it is really not that far away. I do not have transportation pricing from either the TA or Princess so I can not compare cost factors. I do have a couple of questions related to taxi service between the points above.

1). What is today's one way cost of taxi fare from FLL to Port Everglades and vice versa? I don't care about next year because I am sure that those prices will go up.

2). Related to FLL:

a). How easy is it to hail a taxi at FLL?

b). We will be returning a rental car on the day of the cruise departure. Can we hail a taxi from the rental car drop off or will we have to go back to a terminal?

c). If we have to go back to a terminal, which one has the easiest terminal to hail a taxi and where do we go to hail a taxi?

d). How long of a ride is it from FLL to Port Everglades?

e). Stupid question. Where would we be dropped off upon arriving at Port Everglades? (re: at the ship, up the road, at the terminal, etc)

3). Related to Port Everglades:

a). How easy is it to hail a taxi at Port Everglades upon exiting the ship?

b). If we can hail a taxi, were would we go?

c). Does the cruise line have to be notified that we will be taking a taxi back to the airport?

If there is any more information that someone can provide, please let me know. We did a bus before from Orlando to Port Canaveral and from FLL to Miami. Not too thrilled about this idea again, but if it is cheaper than the taxi, we will do it.

Thanks

Taxis are easy to get at both ends, last month we took the rental car airport shuttle bus from the airport to the pier and visa versa. It is one shuttle bus that serves all the rental car agencies. There is no charge and you get off in the new rental car building right next to the terminal. :)

Do check with the rental car company. In January went we were returning the rental car (Avis) at the airport they asked us if we were headed for a cruise. When we said yes they said leave your luggage in the car. After they checked the car in they had one of their employees drive us to the cruise terminal in the car we had just returned. He dropped us right where the porters were just outside the terminal for our cruise. There was no need for a transfer or a taxi. We did give the drive as well as the porters a nice tip. I can not say what is done by other rental car companies but have read on the cc boards that there are shuttles that most offer to the cruise terminal. Again check with the local rental car company.

We will be going out of Port Everglades again in just over a week. This time we will arrive the same day as the cruise so will not have a rental car. We plan to use taxis to get to and from the crusie terminal.

I have posted this a couple of times but it is worth repeating. Make sure the driver turns on the meter !! We were ripped off as were two ladies in a cab behind us. I still simmer when I think of it and don"t want other people to fall into the trap. I would guess 90% of the drivers are honest but watch out for the other 10%.

Archived