Can someone tell me if my balcony on the Epic is covered?

purple88

Hi all,

We have cabin 9212 booked for the October 9th sailing. I've been reading this board about some cabin balconies not having a roof overhead. Could someone that knows the deck plans tell me if this balcony is covered? It appears to me that it is not but I wanted to be sure. The final payment is due tomorrow. Also, after you pay your final payment, if you see another cabin open up, can you change cabins? We have our cruise booked through a travel agent so after final payment, do we still have to go through her to if we want to change cabins or can we call NCL directly?

Thanks so much!

Looking at a pic of the Epic, cabins in the same area starboard have cover, so I would think the same holds true on the port side. Your cabin is w/i the last bump out section. I hope I'm right for your peace of mind. I have no idea if you can change cabins after final payment, I always book the cabin I want, and...should they offer me a upgrade(reasonable) I'll check that out b-4 a final decision is made. (Note, we haven't been offered an upgrade is '07...probably because I refused it.) LOL, enjoy your cruise.

Neverthought

Hi all,

We have cabin 9212 booked for the October 9th sailing. I've been reading this board about some cabin balconies not having a roof overhead. Could someone that knows the deck plans tell me if this balcony is covered? It appears to me that it is not but I wanted to be sure. The final payment is due tomorrow. Also, after you pay your final payment, if you see another cabin open up, can you change cabins? We have our cruise booked through a travel agent so after final payment, do we still have to go through her to if we want to change cabins or can we call NCL directly?

Thanks so much!

From what I can see on plans and photos 9212 is totally exposed.

90535732.jpg

Thanks for the info. Now I am really upset, we have 3 cabins side by side booked and tomorrow is the final payment. I am positive we can not find 3 cabins together at this point.

Try it. May be you'll be lucky.

Different locations may not be a bad thing: different experience, lifeboats/no lifeboats, port views/bay views, sunny side/shadow side, more wind/less wind, etc.

Thanks for the info. Now I am really upset, we have 3 cabins side by side booked and tomorrow is the final payment. I am positive we can not find 3 cabins together at this point.

You may be in luck. There is still fairly good availability for BF category staterooms on your October 9 cruise. And it looks like there are three cabins next to each other which do have covered balconies (specifically cabins 9227, 9229, and 9231) which are showing up as available on ncl.com at the moment. Those three cabins are just aft of the center bump out section on deck 9.

Hi all,

Thanks so much!

Can't say for sure about whether or not your balcony will be covered but I can confirm that:-

- Yes, you can change your cabin after final payment.

- Yes, you will still have to go through your travel agent, even after final payment.

You may be in luck. There is still fairly good availability for BF category staterooms on your October 9 cruise. And it looks like there are three cabins next to each other which do have covered balconies (specifically cabins 9227, 9229, and 9231) which are showing up as available on ncl.com at the moment. Those three cabins are just aft of the center bump out section on deck 9.

Those are among the worst.

They are covered, but they are deeper in the superstructure and two of them (9227 and 9229) can be observed from higher decks of the adjacent "hump" and from exposed 9225 balcony as well.

9227, 9229 and 9231 balconies have less view of the sea, but more view of the roofless balconies of the deck 8 in front below. Huge lifeboats spoil the rest of the view.

98329525.jpg

Edited by lusitanica

hi can anyone tell me if my cabin is exposed too,its 12014, thanks ever so much

jayne

Unless they changed numbers...

12014 is not exposed. It's a sheltered balcony.

This part of the ship requires more protection from winds and waives.

73062234.jpg

Thanks for all answers. Lusitanica, you are amazing at reading the deckplans and knowing exactly where the cabins are from the outside of the ship. I guess we will keep what we have unless something opens up in a different category on decks 10 or 11. I'm not extremely happy about the balcony being in the sun all the time and the decks above can look right down and see our exposed balcony.

Lusitanica-is it too annoying for me to jump on this bandwagon, too? After seeing that last balcony, that I thought was a window, I'm now concerned about exactly where my balcony is. I have been thinking that I am one with a full sized/regular balcony. I've been on the cruisedeckplans site, but can't tell for sure. Can you tell and would you mind?

I'm 11300. Thanks.:o

Those are among the worst.

They are covered, but they are deeper in the superstructure and two of them (9227 and 9229) can be observed from higher decks of the adjacent "hump" and from exposed 9225 balcony as well.

9227, 9229 and 9231 balconies have less view of the sea, but more view of the roofless balconies of the deck 8 in front below. Huge lifeboats spoil the rest of the view.

98329525.jpg

I am so impressed that you can do this. I never thought to do this. I have room 12145 and the one next to it. I have tried to count balconies on the overlay deck plans and I think I am 27 to the right and 3 decks up. But how do you tell about the covered and uncovered balcony? Thanks for any responses.

Thanks for all answers. Lusitanica, you are amazing at reading the deckplans and knowing exactly where the cabins are from the outside of the ship. I guess we will keep what we have unless something opens up in a different category on decks 10 or 11. I'm not extremely happy about the balcony being in the sun all the time and the decks above can look right down and see our exposed balcony.

Yes, I agree with lusitanica that the three adjacent staterooms on deck 9 that I mentioned in my previous reply are less than ideal. That's probably why they are still available. Hopefully something else will free up for you.

I happened to notice several sets of three adjacent staterooms with covered balconies on deck 14 in the B1 category. Naturally that's a bit of a leap from BF to B1 ($80 per person more based on the current rates listed on ncl.com). Just offering that as another possibility for you.

We have 9206 and 9208. I'm wondering if these views are obstructed by those life boats? Can you look straight down into the water? I didn't realize when we booked those giant lifeboats would be there and I'm not sure why that view is not considered obstructed? Anyway, do you mind checking me? Am I seeing it wrong? If so, which cabins closest to the middle but without the obstructed view? We don't have to be next to each other, just took it cause it was offered? Also, would we be better on the 10th deck? What is on deck 11? Sorry to be a pain. Now I'm wondering if I should switch. Even at $80 per person I'd make the switch.

Since I don't know a bunch about cruising or NCL may I ask... What is the BF qualifier indicative of?

The BF category is one of the "Balcony Stateroom" categories on the Epic. Currently, categories BA through BK are all classified as Balcony Staterooms, with BA being the priciest and BK being the least expensive. The main differentiator between these various balcony categories is their location within the ship.

Naturally there are other category designators for other types of staterooms. For example, categories B1 through B3 currently designate "Family Balcony Staterooms".

I mentioned "currently" because NCL is reorganizing the stateroom categories on the Epic after she completes her initial season of Caribbean cruises next May and repositions to the Mediterranean.

Hope this helps.

The BF category is one of the "Balcony Stateroom" categories on the Epic. Currently, categories BA through BK are all classified as Balcony Staterooms, with BA being the priciest and BK being the least expensive. The main differentiator between these various balcony categories is their location within the ship.

Naturally there are other category designators for other types of staterooms. For example, categories B1 through B3 currently designate "Family Balcony Staterooms".

I mentioned "currently" because NCL is reorganizing the stateroom categories on the Epic after she completes her initial season of Caribbean cruises next May and repositions to the Mediterranean.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Do you suggest moving up? I can afford to pay a little more, but don't know if there is any value in doing so. It doesn't appear to me that there is vast difference in cabins. Is it me?

Lusitanica-is it too annoying for me to jump on this bandwagon, too? After seeing that last balcony, that I thought was a window, I'm now concerned about exactly where my balcony is. I have been thinking that I am one with a full sized/regular balcony. I've been on the cruisedeckplans site, but can't tell for sure. Can you tell and would you mind?

I'm 11300. Thanks.:o

11300 has a covered balcony.

Below there are open balconies on deck 9 though, but no lifeboats directly below.

24990763.jpg

I am so impressed that you can do this. I never thought to do this. I have room 12145 and the one next to it. I have tried to count balconies on the overlay deck plans and I think I am 27 to the right and 3 decks up. But how do you tell about the covered and uncovered balcony? Thanks for any responses.

12145 has covered balcony.

You will see open balconies on deck 8 below.

But no lifeboats directly below.

33471586.jpg

I don't see any spa balcony rooms available for my sailing. I'm thinking that my travel agent my have some in stock. Not sure. But then I thought why not just move to a delux balcony. I think it would only be about another $360. Anyway, can you suggest what I should be looking for if I want to get either a different BF or an upgraded cabin that does not look right into the life boats and has a covered balcony? Then I can call the TA tomorrow and make the switch. I really appreciate your skill. Thank you so much.