Public transportation to Mendenhall Glacier

Cruiser Nonna

The public bus costs $1.50 each direction and would take about 1/2 hour to get to the Glacier Spur road. Then it's a mile walk to the glacier. Normally I'm all for walking, but the road's flat as a board straight with trees right up the edge. Other than a few pretty ponds, nothing really to look at.

Take the MGT bus that the others are talking about. Unless you like walking. :D http://mightygreattrips.com/se_alaska_shore_excursions.htm

A cab would cost about $25 each way and takes the same time as the MGT bus. They may negotiate for a 'tour' price, I haven't asked.

We took the city bus and on that mile walk is when a mother black bear and cub walked 50 feet in front of us across the road. The view of the glacier on the walkup is nice, but it is about a 30 minute walk--paved and flat. It is 1.50 each way, 1.00 for kids. The same bus stops earlier in the route at the Glacier Gardens, which are very beautiful. We took the city bus to the Gardens, hopped back on and went to the Glacier, and then took the bus back into town($15 toatal transportation cost for 4--2 adults and 2 kids). The shuttle bus is more convenient, but the city bus is much cheaper. The view at the Glacier Gardens is similar to that of Mt. Robert't Tramway. The Gardens are alittle cheaper and more beautiful(from what we were told by people who had been to both). It is the Mendenhall Valley Route and you catch the bus at the terminal in the downtown. A very short walk from the boat.

we rented a car from rent a wreck in juneau. they pick you up and you can leave the car at the parking garage in town when your done. cost was about $60 and you have more flexability to make other stops such Alaska Brewery which is near by and maybe a visit to St Theresa's shrine. if you visit mendenhall try and make time to walk down to the waterfall to get a close up view of the glacier and the falls. if you can't scramble over the boulders you can wade thru a small inlet to get to waterfall. just roll your pants up.

I just called MGT (Big Blue Bus) to check on the time the last shuttle leaves from Mendenhall. They run those shuttles according to ship schedules so you need to check your particular date. The last shuttle on Sept. 10th will be at 6 PM.

So MGT does tours as well as runs the shuttle from the cruise ship. Is this correct?

How close to the cruise ship can you catch the shuttle, and how close to the glacier are you dropped off?

Does this make sense to do with a person who can not walk very long distances? I think she is comfortable with a block or so at a time.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

So MGT does tours as well as runs the shuttle from the cruise ship. Is this correct?

How close to the cruise ship can you catch the shuttle, and how close to the glacier are you dropped off?

Does this make sense to do with a person who can not walk very long distances? I think she is comfortable with a block or so at a time.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Their tours are excellent and a very good value at about $25. Both the tour and shuttle buses are available at the dock, booths set up next to the tram and library. The shuttle drops off right at the visitor center, but the pick up is a short walk to a parking lot, about a block.

Hi,

Where are the shuttle buses located? Do I understand correctly that Dock A is quite far from town?

Thank you.

Nope. When you come off your ship, there'll be a large medallion mounted on a pole with a letter for your dock's designation. I *think* A is the northern most dock, next to the parking garage. There's a bus loading zone there, so I think that's right. In any case, the distances are no far.

Archived