Which Olympia trip please?

Jo and Rob

We are struggling to decided which Costa trip to do. Or indeed, how much is a taxi at the port? Do all the Costa trips to Olympia include a guide? If you have done a Costa trip to Olympia I would appreciate all input good and bad. My concern is having to listen to the tour in five or six different languages. Should we wait until we board to see if there is a trip targetted at English speaking tourists.

I´ve been to Olympia with Costa. We had a tour guide that spoke German fluently and no language mixed group.

Even if languages are mixed, it´s never more than 2, at least I never experienced differently.

Let me say, I wouldn´t go back to Olympia. There´s not that much to see. Maybe if you are interested in sports, it will be for you... I talked to different people and consense is, if you go to olympia try to do the museum which is said to be the most interesting thing at the sight.

A roundtrip for 4 by taxi should be around 100 Euro as google tells me.

Just keep in mind that Costa´s stay in Katakolon is quite short.

I´ve been to Olympia with Costa. We had a tour guide that spoke German fluently and no language mixed group.

Even if languages are mixed, it´s never more than 2, at least I never experienced differently.

Let me say, I wouldn´t go back to Olympia. There´s not that much to see. Maybe if you are interested in sports, it will be for you... I talked to different people and consense is, if you go to olympia try to do the museum which is said to be the most interesting thing at the sight.

A roundtrip for 4 by taxi should be around 100 Euro as google tells me.

Just keep in mind that Costa´s stay in Katakolon is quite short.

Good advice. I would like to do Olympia, especially with the Olympics being in London in 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from the Costa Serena. There will be English only tours available so multiple languages wont be an issue. We rented a car for 40 euro plus 10 in gas and drove to Olympia. I'm sure you would get more out of a tour but we like going on our own. The drive was simple but there is a little added stress finding your way.

Take the Costa excursion that includes the museum. The Oympia guides are very good and will give you a complete tour with an excellent explanation of the site. If you are interested in ancient Greek history and archaeology, it's not just the site of the first olympics, but the entire complex that will awe you. With the organized shore excursions you meet your guide at the bus on the pier where you disembark. As mentioned above, you MAY have two language groups on your bus but chances are all the English speakers will be on one bus with one guide.

With the hundreds of questions you have asked for your 24 October Serena cruise you will surely be the most informed CC members on this forum!

With the hundreds of questions you have asked for your 24 October Serena cruise you will surely be the most informed CC members on this forum!

Unless of course Jo and Rob are in fact Costa employees who want to find out all the sneaky tricks and tips that passengers have found to get around Costa rules and regulations. :(:D

Ron

Unless of course Jo and Rob are in fact Costa employees who want to find out all the sneaky tricks and tips that passengers have found to get around Costa rules and regulations. :(:D

Ron

Ron I hope that is a joke! That is the second harsh comment I have been on the receiving end of!

I think we are a bit nervous about hiring a car although it is the cheapest option, I think we will probably hire a taxi (it looks like it will be much cheaper that the Costa trip.)

Ron I hope that is a joke! That is the second harsh comment I have been on the receiving end of!

I think we are a bit nervous about hiring a car although it is the cheapest option, I think we will probably hire a taxi (it looks like it will be much cheaper that the Costa trip.)

Jo, calm down you are going on a cruise in a couple of weeks - it was only a joke. ;)

What other harsh comment did you receive?

Ron

I am glad you are asking all of these questions. It is so hard to find information about the cruise. I am going on the same ship on Nov. 7. I have only sailed on Princess. There are so many people that post on the Princess boards that I felt secure about the cruise. For this Cruise I am getting very nervous. I have been following your postings because you ask the questions I would like to ask but for some reason don't. I hope you have a wonderful time.

We are struggling to decided which Costa trip to do. Or indeed, how much is a taxi at the port? Do all the Costa trips to Olympia include a guide? If you have done a Costa trip to Olympia I would appreciate all input good and bad. My concern is having to listen to the tour in five or six different languages. Should we wait until we board to see if there is a trip targetted at English speaking tourists.

Hi Again Rob & Joe.

If you are going to do your own thing in a port where the time in the port is only short - REALLY watch your time.

The Costa arranged tours are normally all in English if there are enough passangers on that tour or the English pax will be included in another language and the guide will speak in both languages.

Hi Again Rob & Joe.

If you are going to do your own thing in a port where the time in the port is only short - REALLY watch your time.

The Costa arranged tours are normally all in English if there are enough passangers on that tour or the English pax will be included in another language and the guide will speak in both languages.

Watch your time is a really good advice, because Commandante Paolo Benini does not wait. The time in the different ports is very short (for my taste) and the ship always left at the scheduled time :)

Your arguments are very convincing and the more I think about it the more I think that we should go on an organised tour after all. We are only in port from 8am until 1pm and the security of being on the ship tour I think is winning....I am back where I started! Which one!

I too fancy the tour with the museum but although there are child prices it doesn't have a family symbol which is supposedly more suitable for families. I would have thought that the children would appreciate the museum. Any opinions? I have been doing some research on some Greek Gods ready to be all enthusiastic. So if we do a tour does a guide explain the excavations and the museum? How many people will be in the group?

Ron, I'm glad it was a joke as you have been very helpful. The other harsh comment (as you asked) was when you said something like, if people can't be bothered to look things up themselves then why should I, refering to finding something on the internet I think, but don't worry your other comments and advice have more than made up for it! ;)

Archived