Mahogany Beach or Tabyana?

BarleyJack

Hi All! Recently booked our first cruise ever and Roatan is a port; thinking we'll want a beach day while here, was wondering if anyone can provide any input as to which beach is better and why? Thanks in advance for your input!!:D

Tabayana is absolutely (other than Rum Point in GC) the most gorgeous place I've ever been. Mahogany Beach, from what I saw, was tiny and the only view was that staring at the ship. I took the ship excursion (which I rarely do) and it was worth the $30. My only piece of advice would be to get up and go earlier than what's printed on your excursion tickets...the shuttles were running a good hour or two ahead of when they said they'd be and I dearly wish I'd have had more time there. PLUS you actually get to SEE a little of the island on the way to and from the beach.

My cabin steward was from Honduras so I asked for his recommendation and he told me I should definitely visit Tabyana Beach. He suggested we get a taxi (make sure to agree on a price before you go -- they will drop the rate lower if you turn down their initial offers). Another option is to leave the initial compound area, walk up the little hill and then there are tons of tour vans etc. who are anxious to take you to your destination (that's the option we chose).

Our driver took us to Mayan Princess on Tabyana Beach and it was absolutely stunning. At first we were a bit overwhelmed by all the vendors who were trying to sell us items upon our arrival, but after a bit they left us alone.

The water and the sandy beach floor are fabulous, and if that alone isn't a selling point, there is an amazing pool area that is beautifully landscaped and uniquely shaped; it was so inviting we couldn't pass it up. And did I mention the strawberry margaritas were luscious?!?! :) I would definitely go back here. It was $10 a person entry into the resort for our day pass and that included use of loungers on the beach and various resort facilities.

My cabin steward was from Honduras so I asked for his recommendation and he told me I should definitely visit Tabyana Beach. He suggested we get a taxi (make sure to agree on a price before you go -- they will drop the rate lower if you turn down their initial offers). Another option is to leave the initial compound area, walk up the little hill and then there are tons of tour vans etc. who are anxious to take you to your destination (that's the option we chose).

Our driver took us to Mayan Princess on Tabyana Beach and it was absolutely stunning. At first we were a bit overwhelmed by all the vendors who were trying to sell us items upon our arrival, but after a bit they left us alone.

The water and the sandy beach floor are fabulous, and if that alone isn't a selling point, there is an amazing pool area that is beautifully landscaped and uniquely shaped; it was so inviting we couldn't pass it up. And did I mention the strawberry margaritas were luscious?!?! :) I would definitely go back here. It was $10 a person entry into the resort for our day pass and that included use of loungers on the beach and various resort facilities.

Can you tell everyone what you paid for your taxi, RT? Just to give us all a ball park figure.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Tabayana is absolutely (other than Rum Point in GC) the most gorgeous place I've ever been. Mahogany Beach, from what I saw, was tiny and the only view was that staring at the ship. I took the ship excursion (which I rarely do) and it was worth the $30. My only piece of advice would be to get up and go earlier than what's printed on your excursion tickets...the shuttles were running a good hour or two ahead of when they said they'd be and I dearly wish I'd have had more time there. PLUS you actually get to SEE a little of the island on the way to and from the beach.

MamaParrotHead, I really want to book this but have a question. I want to go with the teens to zip line and have my dh/ds take the bus to Tabayana Beach. After ziplining at Mahogany Bay, I want to go with the girls to Tabyana. Is there only one time that the bus leaves the ship? I would like to go about 90 minutes later than dh/ds and meet up with them. Can this be done?

If so, I'm booking today LOL Thanks!

MamaParrotHead, I really want to book this but have a question. I want to go with the teens to zip line and have my dh/ds take the bus to Tabayana Beach. After ziplining at Mahogany Bay, I want to go with the girls to Tabyana. Is there only one time that the bus leaves the ship? I would like to go about 90 minutes later than dh/ds and meet up with them. Can this be done?

If so, I'm booking today LOL Thanks!

The shuttles DO leave every so often and come back and forth, though I'm unsure as to when the last shuttle leaves to go there. The only thing to keep in mind is that the ride to Tabayana takes about 20-30 minutes, so plan accordingly to maximize your beach time.

The shuttles DO leave every do often and come back and forth, though I'm unsure as to when the last shuttle leaves to go there. The only thing to keep in mind is that the ride to Tabayana takes about 20-30 minutes, so plan accordingly to maximize your beach time.

Thanks for answering me so quickly. Would you do it again or would you stay at Mahogany Bay. We are the only ship in port and have excursions booked at the other ports and wanted to try not to spend too much money on this day, with the exception of the zip lining but my dh would rather spend the money if we are not packed. We are in Rotan until 6:00 pm so we would have a full day at the beach.

I have Steak House ressies that night for 8 pm and figure the kids will be tired and can get room service or buffett when we get back.

I can call CCL and ask about when the last shuttle leaves the ship to go to the beach but don't know how much I would trust the operator know for real about that answer.

I do know that the Epic is in Rotan docking at Coxen Hole. I don't know what I should do.

I don't know if I should book ziplining through Victor or Islandmarketing and have them also take us to beach or just hope we dock in Mahogany Bay, zip and then beach.

Should I try to get to a beach club? I am soooo confused!!!

Thanks so much again!

Thanks for answering me so quickly. Would you do it again or would you stay at Mahogany Bay. We are the only ship in port and have excursions booked at the other ports and wanted to try not to spend too much money on this day, with the exception of the zip lining but my dh would rather spend the money if we are not packed. We are in Rotan until 6:00 pm so we would have a full day at the beach.

I have Steak House ressies that night for 8 pm and figure the kids will be tired and can get room service or buffett when we get back.

I can call CCL and ask about when the last shuttle leaves the ship to go to the beach but don't know how much I would trust the operator know for real about that answer.

I do know that the Epic is in Rotan docking at Coxen Hole. I don't know what I should do.

I don't know if I should book ziplining through Victor or Islandmarketing and have them also take us to beach or just hope we dock in Mahogany Bay, zip and then beach.

Should I try to get to a beach club? I am soooo confused!!!

Thanks so much again!

No problem.

I, personally, wouldn't go back to Roatan without hitting Tabyana AGAIN. It was that gorgeous and that clean and nice. I wasn't that impressed with Mahogany...it honestly looked like one of those man-made beaches in brochures for Disney World...totally fake. No thanks for me, personally. Coxen Hole is a decent trek to Mahogany, just judging from where we passed it coming back form the beach to where we were dropped off at Mahogany. I've used Island Marketing in the past and been pleased as well, they delivered on what they promised, if that's any help. I've heard good things about Victor, but the whole post a few weeks ago about the lady being bitten by the monkey turned me off on that idea....no thanks. LOL

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

No problem.

I, personally, wouldn't go back to Roatan without hitting Tabyana AGAIN. It was that gorgeous and that clean and nice. I wasn't that impressed with Mahogany...it honestly looked like one of those man-made beaches in brochures for Disney World...totally fake. No thanks for me, personally. Coxen Hole is a decent trek to Mahogany, just judging from where we passed it coming back form the beach to where we were dropped off at Mahogany. I've used Island Marketing in the past and been pleased as well, they delivered on what they promised, if that's any help. I've heard good things about Victor, but the whole post a few weeks ago about the lady being bitten by the monkey turned me off on that idea....no thanks. LOL

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks! I will try to see if I can find out how long the busses go back and forth to Tabyana from the Ship. Do you think if my dh and ds left before the girls and me, we would have a hard time finding them on the beach. Were there umbrealla to rent? Is there somewhere I can purchase food and drink (and margaritas or some nice cocktail?).

Thank, I REALLY appreciate your taking the time to help me! Maybe I'll give CCL a call but not sure they will be able to help with the real answer.

Thanks.

Thanks! I will try to see if I can find out how long the busses go back and forth to Tabyana from the Ship. Do you think if my dh and ds left before the girls and me, we would have a hard time finding them on the beach. Were there umbrealla to rent? Is there somewhere I can purchase food and drink (and margaritas or some nice cocktail?).

Thank, I REALLY appreciate your taking the time to help me! Maybe I'll give CCL a call but not sure they will be able to help with the real answer.

Thanks.

It's really not a big, big beach. There were chairs available in the shade...actually, most of the beach club area is under these cool trees, and then when the tree line breaks is where the beach is. I'll dig up a picture or two and post it here. There is a decent restaurant there...they offer a nice buffet and also things like sandwiches, I believe (but the buffet looked tasty and was reasonable, under $10). You'll be assigned a "waiter" when you're seated...he'll be around to watch your stuff (we tipped him when we left, for his services) and get your drinks. The "Monkey LaLa" was FANTASTIC....maybe like $6 or $7. It was coconuty and delish, LOL.

2439536950071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

2437208450071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

2503037820071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

Sounds great - how much was the taxi?

Archived