Hair Braiding in Nassau

mlmoss

Many Options Available

1. They do this on board ... but they fill up fast so make a reservation as soon as you can

2. They do this on CastAway .... which gives you (like #1) the comfort of mind, that it is 'Disney' (and fixed price which may not be the best price...note the price starts 'by the braid')

3. If you leave the ship to walk into town in Nassau the first thing you will pass is an area of hair braiders (unless it has changed) ... you will be approached or accosted depending on your point of view. They have posted prices....DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. I sailed with my 2 kids sans Mom 3 times, got my DD's LONG hair done there twice...for a fraction of the posted price. HAGGLE!!!! Last time, the girl who agreed to a price actually had to subcontract a relief when her hands got tired cus of DD's long hair (longer than Bo's....) I got DD, with shoulder length hair - whole head for $75 - that was a 3 hour job. Yes, I am insane.

4. Another option which we did one time: Mom was tired of the 'street vendors' so we just walked into town. We saw a sign and followed to a regular beauty shop (with a/c and comfortable chairs) and DD got the job there. Since her hair usually takes about 3 hours (and about $100 + tip) the a/c and comfortable chair was/is appreciated. {and YES, dad sat there the WHOLE time too}

We've done the CC deal...and the street deal...and the shop deal... Save $? Deal on the street. Lowest stress, CC - or I'd guess doing on board but we were never fast enuf. Best price - under the roof in Nassau IF you can haggle and are willing to sit...

Does she want a whole head, a frontal, or just a few braids? Decide now....

I am leaving on the Magic on Feb. 4th and I know my DD's age 5 & 7 would love to have their hair braided. Where on the ship do they do this and how do you make an appointment? Do they do this every day or just in port etc? Any additional information would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks,

Stefanie

I am leaving on the Magic on Feb. 4th and I know my DD's age 5 & 7 would love to have their hair braided. Where on the ship do they do this and how do you make an appointment? Do they do this every day or just in port etc? Any additional information would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks,

Stefanie

On our last trip it would happen on deck right out by the pool. A person had a chair and a table with here 'stuff' .... I guess it is run via the regular beauty shop folks, but I only recall seeing one person doing the braiding and by the time we thought to sign up there was a sign that said they were fully booked...

However there are several ladies that do it on CC, and I think 9 out of 10 ladies in Nassau braid hair at least part time :p ... well there's no shortage anyway.

Thanks for the information, I'll try to find out the first day we board. Unfortunately (only for hair braiding) we are not going to the Bahamas, we go to St. Thomas, St. Martin and Castaway Cay. I know they do it in St. Martin too but we are doing a beach day at a private resort so I'm sure if someone will be there braiding hair or not. Anyway we'll give it a shot on the boat and if not castaway cay.

The OP is correct, watch out for lice. We were warned not to get our girls braids done on the islands, because they don't sanitize the combs. I'm not sure , but I remember the ladies on the Wonder last year wearing gloves when they did the braiding. This is good because our hairdresser warned us of the possibility of lice under their fingernails. We waited until the night before we got off the ship, and they were just sitting there, no customers. We had theirs done and it was fresh for when we got home.

I have just returned from the Magic & had my daughters' (short, thin hair ) braided, it took an hour & half onboard for the day at sea. I booked RIGHT after our boarding lunch & no problem getting an appt. But when my daughter was sitting there getting her hair done Monday, they were already turning down people b/c they were booked. This freed up our time on the islands & helped pass a long day at sea. Good Luck!

The short form, $2.00 a braid. My girls did 12 each. My wife was watching as a young girl was done and her Mom told her it cost, you sitting down?, $135.00. Now I'm Canadian so that translated to $205.00. Oh and it will only last @ 3 weeks, OMG :eek: !!!!! So unless the wallet is very big, be careful.

The short form, $2.00 a braid. My girls did 12 each. My wife was watching as a young girl was done and her Mom told her it cost, you sitting down?, $135.00. Now I'm Canadian so that translated to $205.00. Oh and it will only last @ 3 weeks, OMG :eek: !!!!! So unless the wallet is very big, be careful.

welll....that's the dif' between doing it Disney (fixed price) and doing it Bahama - my experience: Nassau = $75 plus tip (gave her $100) for past shoulder length whole head.

Pick your poison...per braid will kill you, but u have the Disney 'protection' of being on the ship or Castaway for only a couple of braids..if you want a whole head? $$$$$ On the islands you can haggle...but can worry about clean etc.

We've done Nassau whole head of past shoulder lenghth head hair w/out problem twice (READ: NO LICE....)

Ain't it wierd that a DAD is providng input on this????? Come on gals....gime' some credit :D

Archived