iPad use on Celebrity ships

psygist

My husband I and both have IPads and would like to bring them but I'm worried if something were to happen to them. Traveling on the Infinity and wondering if the safe is big enough to hold them?

The safe on Silhouette was big enough for my iPad, and my wife's MacBook Air.

My husband I and both have IPads and would like to bring them but I'm worried if something were to happen to them. Traveling on the Infinity and wondering if the safe is big enough to hold them?

It is I think. I just got my iPad and as I recall the safe is big enough. It should be fine. :)

Love the iPad for cruising, but mostly for reading without lugging tons of books. Safe is big enough. Safari will work, but their internet prices are ridiculous and the speed is like dial-up, so I would seriously consider curtailing internet use.

The lack of internet is actually one of the main reasons we chose a cruise vacation. Not having internet is the only way to get my husband away from work!

I just got mine and hope to use it in terminals to send emails to family also to look up info on certain ports hw do I download the cc sheets on each port to my desktop or other tourist info by not using Internet kinda hard when you are walking

Will it be dangerous to hold in certain cities with pickpockets etc I wanted to use it as my guide I wish it had a clip and tie to hang on me that would be easier icouldcarryitaround like mycameraaroundmyneck

Hey apple people add that to side clips with strap

Plus it does take good pictures

We don't pay for ship internet, too expensive and too slow. One of the things we get used to in modern life is always being able to find the answer to just about anything with just a few taps of the keyboard. On a cruise it sometimes makes me want too climb the wall when I want to know something trivial and there is no way to find out.

What's the popuation of that city we just left, what kind of flag is that, was that trivia question this morning really correct ;) ??

I got an off line Wikipedia app for the iPad. It takes up about three Gigs and has the entire Wikipedia encyclopedia -- except no graphics, maps or pictures. It was terrific on the 18 day cruise we were just on. There was very little I couldn't find out, it was the best $10 I ever spent!

We snorkeled over a ship wreck in Aruba, I was able to read all about the history of it on the balcony that evening.

We don't pay for ship internet, too expensive and too slow. One of the things we get used to in modern life is always being able to find the answer to just about anything with just a few taps of the keyboard. On a cruise it sometimes makes me want too climb the wall when I want to know something trivial and there is no way to find out.

What's the popuation of that city we just left, what kind of flag is that, was that trivia question this morning really correct ;) ??

I got an off line Wikipedia app for the iPad. It takes up about three Gigs and has the entire Wikipedia encyclopedia -- except no graphics, maps or pictures. It was terrific on the 18 day cruise we were just on. There was very little I couldn't find out, it was the best $10 I ever spent!

We snorkeled over a ship wreck in Aruba, I was able to read all about the history of it on the balcony that evening.

That sounds great ... I'm a bit like you, I grew up without phones/computers/tablets but nowadays my first reaction to something I don't know is to 'google it'! So what is the name of the app?

Cheers,

Thanks for letting me know about the size of the safe. We both want to use it for reading and maybe download a movie or two before the trip so internet isn't a concern. Can check email, although I might not, when in port with my iphone for free and not being connected 24/7 is part of my vacation from the real world.

It's sort of like a harmless addiction ;)

The app is Wiki Offline

Enjoy -- just put it away during trivia games ;)

There is also a FREE Wiki Offline app ....that only contains the top 1000 searches. But can try it out for free and see if you like how it flows.

I just got mine and hope to use it in terminals to send emails to family also to look up info on certain ports hw do I download the cc sheets on each port to my desktop or other tourist info by not using Internet kinda hard when you are walking

Will it be dangerous to hold in certain cities with pickpockets etc I wanted to use it as my guide I wish it had a clip and tie to hang on me that would be easier icouldcarryitaround like mycameraaroundmyneck

Hey apple people add that to side clips with strap

Plus it does take good pictures

There are already hundreds of cases available for the iPad... And yes, some of them do have straps so you can hang it around your neck :confused: I'm just trying to understand why you'd want to?

Although I love my iPad, I'd find it way too cumbersome to hang around my neck all day while visiting an area. And you're probably right to worry about theft in certain ports... I mean, a big iPad hanging from your neck isn't exactly inconspicuous! :D

You might want to consider an iPhone or iPod Touch - much lighter, fits in your pocket or purse, and also takes good pictures.

Cheers,

Luc

You could also install dropbox to your iPad- http://db.tt/FJxGRUO9 - and then from home upload any important documents for your cruise.

Then from your iPad from home mark the documents as favourite and then you can view them from the ship / abroad without the need for internet connection as it will have been downloaded to your device.

It's sort of like a harmless addiction ;) The app is Wiki Offline. Enjoy -- just put it away during trivia games ;)

CRUZBUDS We don't pay for ship internet' date=' too expensive and too slow. One of the things we get used to in modern life is always being able to find the answer to just about anything with just a few taps of the keyboard. On a cruise it sometimes makes me want too climb the wall when I want to know something trivial and there is no way to find out. What's the popuation of that city we just left, what kind of flag is that, was that trivia question this morning really correct ?? I got an off line Wikipedia app for the iPad. It takes up about three Gigs and has the entire Wikipedia encyclopedia -- except no graphics, maps or pictures. It was terrific on the 18 day cruise we were just on. There was very little I couldn't find out, it was the best $10 I ever spent! [/quote']

Great tip and idea. I always take my MacBook Pro laptop to hold and sort pictures, plus, plus. It's not quite as small as an iPad, but being connected is important to me. Like this download idea for ALL of the great Wiki info.

On our trip, the wireless on the Solstice was a little iffy at times. The tech staff was helpful, but there always can be little issues. Overall, we made it work out, doing a live/blog as we sailed last June in the Med, uploading lots of pictures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 86,283 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived