Death on the Voyager

Host Dan

Reports are coming in that the lead female vocalist has died suddenly on Voyager. The ship is staying at Darwin Australia pending investigation. Anyone on Voyager, please post updates.

Host Dan

Host Dan, we are not on the Voyager so cannot post an update. However, rather than post on other threads that include this information, we wanted to express our deepest sympathy for all of the family of the individual. We also extend our thoughts and condolences to the friends and crew of the individual. Although there are no words that can help in such a difficult situation for all who are affected by the loss, our hope is that knowing that there are many of us in "cyberspace" who care will somehow help all of you make your way through this difficult time.

Here is a news link to the breaking story in Australia

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/02/04/06/09/cruise-ship-worker-s-body-found-in-cabin

It is very sad.

Radio reports state that the death is not of natural causes and a crime scene has been set up and the ship must remain in port.

Woman found dead on cruise ship in Darwin

Jano Gibson, ABC

Northern Territory Police are investigating the death of a 24-year-old staff member on a cruise ship moored in Darwin Harbour.

Police found the woman's body in her cabin on the Seven Seas Voyager on Sunday morning and have established a crime scene.

The cruise ship is owned by Regent Seven Seas and was due to leave for Bali this morning.

Instead it remains docked at Darwin's Fort Hill Wharf.

The Northern Territory News is reporting that the woman was a singer on the ship.

Heard from a fellow Voyager crew member a few minutes ago, they are in disbelief--she was only 24 years old. Can't imagine the feeling onboard right now..so very sorry to hear of this young person's passing.

This is very sad - we are currently on the Mariner rounding Cape Horn. As an Australian I can say the procedures being followed are standard for any 'unexpected' death. It doesn't mean there are suspicious circumstances.

It doesn't make it easier for those concerned, particularly for the friends, family and co-workers of the staff member as there does seem to be an element in the reporting of this event in the press to indicate something more is awry and that is not necessarily the case.

This is very sad - we are currently on the Mariner rounding Cape Horn. As an Australian I can say the procedures being followed are standard for any 'unexpected' death. It doesn't mean there are suspicious circumstances.

It doesn't make it easier for those concerned, particularly for the friends, family and co-workers of the staff member as there does seem to be an element in the reporting of this event in the press to indicate something more is awry and that is not necessarily the case.

They have said the death is not of "natural causes". Therefore, either suicide or homicide, either of which is a great tragedy. As a resident, I had to learn how to precisely fill out a death certificate as to manner and cause of death. Believe me, it is very crucial to be precisely correct, both for the family and for legal and financial reasons.

Or accident. Assuming there has been no change of entertainment staff on Voyager since last month then I remember this vibrant young woman very well and send my condolences to her family and colleagues who must be deeply shocked. I hope the police are able to establish what happened as quickly as possible.

According to another board, a passenger said it was determined that the death was of natural causes and the ship was cleared to leave, which it did .

Very sad situation for all, family, crew, etc.

On the voyager the update and talk from above is that the young woman had fallen during a rehearsal and bumped her head. She said she was OK and the next morning she didn't show for a workout and checked on her and found her dead. She was a new performer that got on in Sydney....

This has been a rough cruise spent 2 days in Brisbane because of a Cyclone, Had to bypass the Great Barrier Reef missed the overnight in Cairns. Made Darwin Delayed because of the unfortunate accident now we are losing one of the days in Bali and Shortened time in Semarang.

We were told executives are flying into Bali to hear complaints. One other thing we just found out is that there is a mechanical problem (engine most likely) because we haven't been able to do more than 15 knots.

Well they showed the SUPERBOWL (an appeasement maybe????).

Jim:):)

A very unfortunate and unpredictable sequence of problems for sure. But none of them are Regents fault (weather, mechanical issues, tragic death) so I sincerely hope there won't be too many unreasonable complaints to management, although I'm sure there will be :rolleyes:). I'm sure they will offer appropriate compensation for the circumstances. And I'm very glad they saw sense and showed the Super Bowl (although as an Aussie I have NO idea what that's all about!).

From a passenger onboard:

Captain interrupted around the 2 minute warning mark. Evidently this whole incident has made the news around Australia. Here's our status:

(a) we are cleared to leave, and let me tell you we left immediately. The pilot boat picked up the pilot about 5 minutes ago.

(b) the crew member was found to have died of natural causes so authorities closed their investigation

© here's another unwelcome news flash: one of four engines is not operating

(d) Kunal Kamlani, president of Regent Cruises, has acknowledged the latest challenge with the engine is disappointing. A further update will be forthcoming.

(e) Memorial service will be on Wednesday for crew and guests who wish to attend.

(f) We are scheduled for a 3 hour stop at Komodo Island on Feb 6 (10 AM to 1 PM)

(g) Bali stop has been shortened to 8 am to 8 pm on Feb 7

(h) Unnamed senior management members are expected to board the ship in Bali to address concerns and answer questions;

(I) We will have just enough time to make the world heritage temple tour in Semarang on Feb 9 (7 am to 4 pm)

Host Dan

If a fall, in fact, contributed to the tragic, heartbreaking death of Regent singer Jackie Kastrinelis, there is a cruelly ironic twist to this story: In early 2012, Jackie herself posted a youtube video under the title "Cruise Ship Fail" of her taking a very nasty spill on a staircase during a production number in a showroom that looks quite similar to the Constellation Theater. A trouper, she got back on her feet after a few seconds and resumed singing, to the applause of the audience.

Inappropriate, you are my middle name, but don't tell me that I'm the only one who flashed-back to the episode of Columbo where he solves a murder on a cruise ship.

You're dating yourself...

;)

Host Dan

Just did a Google search on Jackie Kastrinelis and there was a picture of the lovely young lady. I am 99% sure she was on our Mariner cruise last year at this time from Rio to Ft. Lauderdale and must agree she was a ray of sunshine. She was tall and had a beautiful striking appearance.

What an awful tragedy.

Archived