AMA claiming "no cancelled cruises" on Facebook

nana541

Just read a post from AMA literally claiming they have not had to cancel any cruises..... Implying all is normal!!!! Unbelievable... I wanted to sail with these people.

Will post a copy as soon as I figure out how :0

Just read a post from AMA literally claiming they have not had to cancel any cruises..... Implying all is normal!!!! Unbelievable... I wanted to sail with these people.

Will post a copy as soon as I figure out how :0

How odd. I was unable to find such a post. However, consider this CC post from a cruiser currently on the river with AMA:

"Update: During our cruise briefing this morning, the cruise manager announced that AMA is providing a 100% future cruise credit, good through December 2016. Very, very generous, under the circumstances. That's a company focused on customer satisfaction - that's why we chose AMA for our first river cruise, and then again and then again."

I would have no qualms about cruising with AMA again. They, as well as other river cruise lines, are coping as best they can in a difficult situation.

Is this what you mean? Sounds like they are realistic and monitoring the situation by the hour. If this message puts you off AMA, oh well. From AMAWaterways FB page:

"Dear AmaWaterways Guests & Travel Partners,

Our expert teams in Europe and Los Angeles are closely monitoring the current conditions across affected areas in Europe on a continuous basis. As always, our number one priority is to deliver an enjoyable cruise in a safe environment. The good news is that we have not had to cancel any cruises and look forward to welcoming you aboard! We appreciate that you have questions and would like to provide information about your upcoming cruise:

DOURO RIVER

AmaVida

Enticing Douro (P130528DO, embarkation date May 28) is unaffected, cruising normally.

Port Wine & Flamenco (P130604PE, embarkation date June 4) is unaffected, cruising normally.

SEINE RIVER

AmaDagio

Provence & Spain (A130531FA, embarkation date May 31) is unaffected, cruising normally.

Provence & Spain (A130607FAR, embarking June 7) is unaffected, cruising normally.

AmaLegro

Paris & Normandy (B130531PP, embarkation date May 31) is unaffected, cruising normally.

Paris & Normandy (B130607PP, embarking June 7) is unaffected, cruising normally.

RHINE RIVER

AmaDolce

Vineyards of the Rhine & Mosel (F130530ARR, embarking May 30) is cruising towards Amsterdam.

Magnificent Europe (F130606AE, embarking June 6) will proceed as scheduled, embarking in Amsterdam.

AmaCello

The Enchanting Rhine (C130607AI, embarking June 7) may begin with one night hotel stay in Amsterdam, with a sightseeing tour of the city on June 8th before transferring to the ship. We will contact travelers either directly or through their travel agents on Wed., June 5.

DANUBE

AmaCerto

Black Sea Voyage (I130603AJR, embarkation date June 3) is unaffected, cruising normally.

Melodies of the Danube (130610AGR, embarking June 10) will embark on schedule in Budapest.

AmaPrima

Blue Danube Discovery (J130605AC, embarking June 5) will begin with a one night stay in Bratislava at the Austria Trend Hotel. Guests will spend the morning of June 6 sightseeing in Bratislava, followed by lunch and a transfer to the ship.

The Legendary Danube (J130612AB, embarking June 12): Guests will check-in as planned in Prague on June 9, and embark the ship in or near Nuremberg depending on water levels.

AmaLyra

Blue Danube Discovery (E130611AC, embarking June 11): Guests will check-in as scheduled on June 9 at the Sofitel Hotel in Budapest. For guests without a pre-cruise extension in Budapest, please check back on Friday June 7 for further updates.

For any questions about the above departures, please call AmaWaterways at 800-626-0126.

Kind Regards,

AmaWaterways"

information is not always reality/fact. no doubt we will read accounts from travellers actually living this event. nothing like word of mouth from real travellers. of course it will most likely be after the event.

many will make the best of it but most would agree there are better times to be on the rivers.

hope recovery is swift and no further loss of life.

nana541:

the water level situation changes hourly and with it the cruise line's response to deal with the situation.

The best source of what AMA is doing can be found on their frequently

updated web site.

http://www.amawaterways.com/

("CURRENT EUROPEAN CRUISES UPDATE")

Sorry it's just the posting on their Facebook wall yesterday was so shocking to me that it really pissed me off..... Not based in reality at all. Maybe the Head Office folks don't share real world info with the Social Media dept.

Really hit me wrong but maybe it's just me!

What are you confused about? Maybe I'm confused but the two posts look exactly the same. What two posts are you referring to?

Wow if these posts are not polar opposites I don't know what is.... Can this possibly be the same company - read both .... Pretty unbelievable !!!

I am really confused!

What are you confused about? Maybe I'm confused but the two posts look exactly the same. What two posts are you referring to?

Your right.... What upset me and I was totally fixed on was the statement in the first paragraph "we have not had to cancel any cruises" and this said (it seemed to me) as the river (Danube - Main) had been closed to river traffic...and flooding at historic levels.

It was my interpretation of their "cheery" release and it just hit me wrong. That's all just me - needless to say my original posting was prior to AMA posting the release here or prior to my seeing it.

Feel really bad for the people, villages and communities affected by this historic flood and also the the many many passengers whose "trips of a lifetime" have been impacted.

One thing you probably didn't notice is that several AMA-based cruises were cancelled, it's just that they were the ones chartered out to APT. That meant that AMA's own brand cruises were all before or after the period in which the most cancellations occurred on the other lines.

Each cruise line is trying to cope with these unprecedented conditions in the way they think is best for their passengers. AMA seems to be at the extreme of let's keep going and do the best we can. Some other lines seem to be cancelling early to give people notice.

As you can see on the Celebrity forum about their Xpedition cancellations in the Galapagos, no matter what they do someone will be upset. Some would prefer that the trip go on with whatever adaptations have to be made (hotel rather than river boat, buses to the scheduled cities). Others would prefer that the entire cruise be cancelled and they get a refund plus future credit. And for still others it doesn't seem that anything the cruise line could do would make them happy.

One thing you probably didn't notice is that several AMA-based cruises were cancelled, it's just that they were the ones chartered out to APT. That meant that AMA's own brand cruises were all before or after the period in which the most cancellations occurred on the other lines.

Each cruise line is trying to cope with these unprecedented conditions in the way they think is best for their passengers. AMA seems to be at the extreme of let's keep going and do the best we can. Some other lines seem to be cancelling early to give people notice.

As you can see on the Celebrity forum about their Xpedition cancellations in the Galapagos, no matter what they do someone will be upset. Some would prefer that the trip go on with whatever adaptations have to be made (hotel rather than river boat, buses to the scheduled cities). Others would prefer that the entire cruise be cancelled and they get a refund plus future credit. And for still others it doesn't seem that anything the cruise line could do would make them happy.

Kind of a classic "no win" situation...guess I need to go back to perfecting my Lemonade making skills :)

Having dealt with AMA's Customer Service before (and after) my Russian cruise, they either lied or were uninformed on simple facts. Not a company that I would recommend working with.

Having dealt with AMA's Customer Service before (and after) my Russian cruise, they either lied or were uninformed on simple facts. Not a company that I would recommend working with.

Care to share your issues from your Russian cruise as a basis for making this statement? Some back-up would be helpful; saying they may have lied is pretty strong.

To sippican,

I went on AMA's Katarina to Russia in September 2011 and Coral went before me (don't remember the date). If you hit on my sign-in name and Coral's, you will see our posts re AMA's customer service department. All I can tell you is that I will NEVER give AMA another dime of my money. When I called their office to ask some questions, I thought I was calling Mars instead of a company seven miles from my home.

Sheila

To sippican,

I went on AMA's Katarina to Russia in September 2011 and Coral went before me (don't remember the date). If you hit on my sign-in name and Coral's, you will see our posts re AMA's customer service department. All I can tell you is that I will NEVER give AMA another dime of my money. When I called their office to ask some questions, I thought I was calling Mars instead of a company seven miles from my home.

Sheila

Those are serious allegations. Would you care to elaborate Please?

If you want info about Russia cruises, please start a new thread--it is clouding the present flooding issue. We also had a bad experience in Russia, but with Viking. Bad times can be had on any line, Also try the rearch function. Pat

If you want info about Russia cruises, please start a new thread--it is clouding the present flooding issue. We also had a bad experience in Russia, but with Viking. Bad times can be had on any line, Also try the rearch function. Pat

My point was that I am not surprised at 2 completely different statements from their company concerning the current situation. I would be very hesitant to blindly trust the person answering the phone there.

Coral and Shoshona, we're a casualty of the AMA/APT stranded cruise last Christmas (2012, so very recent). I was also interested in

Originally Posted by jazzbeau viewpost.gif

There was a wall of silence, and none of our concerns were addressed, yes, the entire pax list received credits and a cheque in the mail, but we'll use the vouchers, and that is it. I have already encountered "attitude" from trying to use the voucher and requested another APT CSO in Australia. For any readers who don't know, AMA run the ship side of the Australian APT bookings. So who is responsible? I am so over the marketing gobbly gook :mad: But we're moving on!

Feel very sad for these cities, some of which we saw, most we didn't get to see last Christmas.

To sippican,

Sheila

Sheila, I did start going through your hundreds of pages of posts, lol, and realize that you were not happy with your Russian cruise. Once realizing that your experience was a couple of years ago, I didn't take the time to find specific reference to your interactions ith AMA customer service.p, hopefully, it's improved.

IMHO, the posts are not requests for information on Russian cruises, but requests for clarification of AMA's credibility and customer service (AMA's claims are the thread topic.) I do not see that as clouding the present flooding issue, which is the main subject of other threads on this forum.

Sippican, thanks for clarifying that for me. We were on an AMA trip in Dec. 2911 when the port of Budapest was closed for very low water. We were kept apprised of the situation before we left via both phone and e-mail. Our boat was about 40 min away--only deviation in plans. Foryunately we were on a boat with a shalower draft and able to make the entire trip as a cruise---many other cruisers were on buses. Pat

Sippican, thanks for clarifying that for me. We were on an AMA trip in Dec. 2911 when the port of Budapest was closed for very low water. We were kept apprised of the situation before we left via both phone and e-mail. Our boat was about 40 min away--only deviation in plans. Foryunately we were on a boat with a shalower draft and able to make the entire trip as a cruise---many other cruisers were on buses. Pat

Thank you. Since I have a group booked on AMA next July, I appreciate hearing specifics about AMA's service. (One thing I am learning is that the water levels on the Danube are pretty unpredictable no matter the time of year, whether it be low or high.) Recent reviews seem to indicate a high level of satisfaction with AMA's response to issues. I can only hope we experience the same should something arise.:)

I have sensed from reading many different threads here that river cruises in Russia are very different, disirregardless of the cruise line. The ship designs are all very different from those in central Europe, the cuisine and service standards are different, and it seems as if the cruises themselves are being run by different management. So it's no surprise that the home offices are less in control and less "in the loop."

I don't think Coral and Shosana2's experiences show an AMA issue; rather it's a Russia issue. [At least that's my hope, since I'm booked on AMA in a few months!]

Archived