price increase for aqua class

stewart -carol

We are already booked aqua class on the Equinox cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 31st. We check the Celebrity web site every few days to see if there are any changes to the site itself (been discussed on the boards forever) or in pricing.

Much to my surprise, on the new CEO's first day, there was a substantial increase in the aqua class cabins of about $65 per day for 2 passengers.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

Carol & Stewart

I don't think it's CEO related. Celebrity probably employs an analytical software program to help them maximize occupancy and revenue.

I booked an October cruise last week after it went on sale last Tuesday. Within 72 hours the sale prices ended and Veranda prices increased $1000 pp.

It's supply and demand.

We are already booked aqua class on the Equinox cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 31st. We check the Celebrity web site every few days to see if there are any changes to the site itself (been discussed on the boards forever) or in pricing.

Much to my surprise, on the new CEO's first day, there was a substantial increase in the aqua class cabins of about $65 per day for 2 passengers.

Carol & Stewart

Hi Carol,

I'm virtually certain, the price increase & new CEO item you mentioned above, is pure coincidence. As Kevin mentioned, it's simply a matter of Supply & Demand. When cabins are in demand, pricing generally increases. When large amounts of inventory remains, prices generally decline.

It's entirely possible that pricing might decline at a later date, so it pays to keep checking. I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

We are on that cruise also in an A1 Aqua Class cabin and I did notice today it did go up but I'm sure part of it is that they removed a discount for the A1's. Not sure if it was for being over 55 or mililtary or from the state we are from. It went up a total of $1080 for the two of us. I think it just has to do wth Celebrity selling a lot of the A1's.

Bob

As AQ seems to be in high demand I've noticed that prices tend to increase. Sometimes there is a discount or a guarantee offered to boost up the bookings, but we have noticed that in the long run prices tend to be high.

When we booked our 2013 British Isles cruise in late spring AQ cabins were not much higher regarding the pricing than regular balconies. Now, a few months later, prices have increased significantly and are 2000 Euros (!!) higher than what we paid.

The cruise on Reflection we've just booked shows AQ prices which are higher than suites. It seems to be a strange kind of computer programme, but obviously they seem to work. The only thing you can do is monitoring how fast a ship fills up and whether it's a milk run kind of cruise ( I mean one that's offered by a lot of competitors , too) or not. For myself I tend to book AQ if prices seem reasonable or I resign myself to take a lower category at a nice discount - and I'm happy with both choices!!

As food declines in the MDR, and as Blu continues to get rave reviews, those that are willing to pay more upfront for a better dining experience, and especially those who are willing to pay for CC class anyway, will book AQ more and more. AQ is fast becoming the most popular cabin choice, especially amgonst seasoned cruisers. Be prepared to see prices continue to rise.

We booked our AQ cabin last month at a military rate, which was $330 pp less than the advertised rate and I noticed last week that the advertised rate has now dropped down to what we paid with our discount. We paid in full at the time of booking but after reading many threads on the CC boards I think next time we will just pay the deposit in hopes of transferring to a TA for OBC (within the 60 days of course;-). Live & learn;-)

We upgraded to a suite on our 12/29 Eclipse cruise in April. Since then prices have increased steadily and suites have been sold out on occasion. I think it has more to do with a holiday sailing & supply & demand than a new CEO. CC has also increased.

Mary Lou

We snagged a sale on Aqua Class for our December New Zealand cruise. A2 is cheaper than a standard balcony. I went up four categories and I am paying less. I have been checking the prices daily.... It certainly paid off.

Good for you it certainly pays to look up the website often to snag the deals. I would certainly go foe the aqua class if it was a better deal than the standard balcony. Happy sailing it will be here before you know it. We went to New Zealand two years ago it is one of our favorite.

We booked an aqua guarantee in June on the Infinity in Oct. We were pleased with the price and had a cabin assigned immediately. While we were happy with our assignment I have been watching the prices and the aqua class guarantee was featured as "an exciting deal " for senior citizens last week which was a couple of hundred cheaper than what we had paid. But this week the Aqua 1 cabins were only $50 pp more for senior citizens that we had paid originally for our guarantee so we "upgraded" . ( the non senior aqua1 price was the same as it had been). So It really depends on how well the aqua cabins are selling whether there will be drop and that drop is more likely to occur after final payment. ( on our last transatlantic there was a big price drop after final payment and there were quite a few people on our roll call who moved from "regular" verandas to aqua class.)

Our AQ cabin has also gone up since we booked it.

But I don't understand the OP's sad face...he won't have to pay the increase.

I was thinking the same thing! The price of the AQ suites on the Summit that we are booked for are $250 more now than what we paid for so my reaction is :D

Carol & Stewart

Yes I have. I've seen prices on high demand cruises increase all the time. The most dramatic was a Hawaii Cruise we took in 2006 and a Med cruise in 2007 where the prices nearly doubled between the time we booked (more than a year early) and a few months before the cruise - just before they sold out. On our cruise next March the cabin 1A category we're booked in sells out now and then and then a few days later another cabin or two will become available - it seems each time one becomes available again they are priced another $50 or $100 higher.

At the same time, over the years we've occasionally enjoyed the benefit of some decent price reductions on cruises that were not selling so well and apparently needed some promotional pricing or price adjustments to get going.

The bottom line is that it is all about supply and demand. If a cruise is selling well and the company believes they can sell their inventory at a higher price then they'll increase prices. If it isn't selling well and the company believes they can increases sales and book their inventory of cabins at a lower price then they'll decrease prices. All this is nothing new, it's economics 101 and nearly every company follows the same pattern (or should).

By the way: What on earth do you think this has to do with the new CEO? Do you think the old one was selling cabins too cheap or the new one is overcharging? I'd find it hard to believe either way, but in any event the company is allowed to make whatever profits they are able to and charge whatever they'd like. It's up to us to decide if we'll buy at the prices they ask or not.

Prices do go up as supply reduces. We booked 14 night Sailing Jan 26th 2013 for $4909- AQ, 2 passengers, 7 months ago. At the time AQ was cheaper than CC (Yes thats right). Now I notice if I was to book today, I would be paying $7294, an increase of almost 50%. Pays to book early, if it does go down you can always cancel and rebook. But realisticly, prices will always go up as cabins sell.

Also booked a 7 night sailing Feb 10th for $2771- , now isit is $3061-, only about 7% increase.

We are booked in Oct on the Summit repo from NY to San Juan. I paid 900pp for. Aqu cabin. Now it is 1900pp goes to show you, if it's a good deal bok it. My friend screwed around and now can't afford to go.

If my "friend" rubbed it in like you did - we would not be friends long......

Our Oct. Adriatic cruise was double. Then it was half. We booked. Then it went back up to past double.

It is like the airlines. Supply and demand managed by a mathmatical equation and the odd bit of human intervention.

The trick is to hit the 'lows', catch any price decreases and/or category increase, and most important of all just go and have a great cruise.

If my "friend" rubbed it in like you did - we would not be friends long......

I think you may have misinterpreted the message hypercafe is trying to convey - I believe they are just saying that when you see a good deal - it's best to jump on it rather than wait, because often times, the price can go way up!

We are booked on the same cruise and when we saw the price (back in Jan), we jumped on it and even encouraged two other couples to do the same - and they did!

Just checked our AQ-1 staterooms today for a March sailing on Eclipse-- it is up by $900 pp...

I thought it was expensive when we booked , but now it is really out of sight. Glad we booked early--and we have a great stateroom on the hump!

it pays to check often--sometimes you win with a reduction but when it goes up you also are happy you booked ahead!!

I don't even DARE to tell you how much we snagged our Aqua Class (A1) cabin for when we booked it. It has gone up non stop since then. We book as early as possible because it seems that prices only go up. Or at least it seems that way with Aqua. :)

aqua has become very popular, therefore more expensive. we have booked aqua 2 times and felt it was a good deal. i think this time we will have to be satisfied with a balcony. we enjoyed aqua, but we always enjoyed cruising even when we had inside cabins. ad

Archived