Cruise Travel Magazine reviews the Noordam

cruznon

Karin,

That's where I saw the comment about Noordam's proposed Greenland and Iceland itineraries.

It was a good review, Laurence usually does a great job. I don't remember any unfavorable comments. The pix were nice too. It was a 3-4 page spread.

I think the last review he did of a HAL ship was a Rotterdam Baltic cruise last summer.

Was there something specific you wanted to know? If so ask and I'll answer.

GN

The ROTTERDAM review last summer was by Ted Scull. I was on the same cruise as Ted (on purpose, as he is a friend of mine). One of my all-time favorite cruises.

Larry Miller is, as far as I know, not Ted, though I have never met Larry in person so I cannot be absolutely sure. I'm pretty sure I know Ted well enough that he would tell me if he has an alias that I don't know about, but who knows, perhaps he has hidden depths ;) ?

I was excited to get it and read it, too, but as usual: might as well have been written by the cruise line.

I guess I'm used to CC reviews- or even reviews on major on line TA sites... or even Fodor's... they have a little "oomph" to them and have more detail and more good and bad.

Sorry for the run on sentence! No coffee yet!

I noticed several errors in the article. The price for the Pinnacle was wrong ($10 lunch, $20 dinner). The article gave the impression crew training was just for those being assigned to the Noordam. Then there was the strange statement on winter cruises to Greenland and Iceland.

Karin,

It was a good review, Laurence usually does a great job. I don't remember any unfavorable comments.

I'm not sure a 'good' review is one that has no unfavorable comments. Good for the cruiseline, perhaps, but a worthwhile review for the consumer should have the good, bad, and not so good so that the reader is getting the true picture. No cruiseline or ship is perfect. ;)

Karin,

That's where I saw the comment about Noordam's proposed Greenland and Iceland itineraries.

It was a good review, Laurence usually does a great job. I don't remember any unfavorable comments. The pix were nice too. It was a 3-4 page spread.

I think the last review he did of a HAL ship was a Rotterdam Baltic cruise last summer.

Was there something specific you wanted to know? If so ask and I'll answer.

GN

Thanks, Granny Nurse, for your kind offer. I was just wondering if the author of the article compared HAL's S-class and R-class vessels with the Vista-class, and what his conclusions might be. Thanks.:)

Karin

I agree, it felt less like a review and more like an advert written by HAL... I've learned so much more about the Noordam on CC than I ever could have from that article! BUT, it was nice to be able to show the review to hubby, who does not frequent CC.

Sorry middleagemom,

I didn't mean to mention article and leave everyone hanging. It was a positive review in the sense that lots of positie things were said about the ship. The reviewer did mention the redesigning of the aft cabins in the future on all vista-class ships, commenting that it was being done to give passengers more privacy on their verandas.

Then there was the strange statement on winter cruises to Greenland and Iceland.

Boy did that give me a good giggle. My Europe 2008 brochure shows Noordam crossing the Atlantic on a middling route as she leaves & returns to the Med. Maasdam, on the other hand, will make port calls in both Iceland & Greenland, but in July, not the winter. Guess she'd need an icebreaker to clear her path if she made that trip in January. :D

Archived