Price of cigarettes in Cozumel??

supernanny

Can anyone tell me what the price is for a carton of cigarettes in Cozumel and also how many you are allowed to bring back to US. Thanks!

One carton per person is what you are allowed to bring back. You will find they are cheaper on board the ship than in Cozumel. Last May I was seeing under $15 per carton on Marlboro on board.

Also, the cigarettes you buy in Cozumel are a different grade tobacco than those you would buy on board the ship or in the US.

Thanks for the replies! I was just asking this for my DS who was wondering if he should take enough with him to last for the week. He does not want to get stuck paying $5 a pack or something. :p I did read an old post that said they were pretty cheap on the ship but I didn't know if they would still have them since they have done all the cutbacks with smoking on the ship?? If anyone has been recently and knows about this I would appreciate if you could let me know.

As for bringing them back, I did not mean we would be bringing back a big load. I read that someone was giving them away on the ship and smoking a lot because they could not bring them back! I am just trying to recommend to him how many packs to take with him. They are too expensive to waste! :D

We went on an RCI cruise in Dec and DH purchased one carton on the ship (it was either $21 or $23) and four cartons in Jamaica for $15/ea. I wrote 4-1/2 cartons on our customs form and the agent didn't look twice at it. I don't think there's any issue with bringing home multiple cartons, you just may be required to pay duties on the cartons that are beyond the allowance but the agents don't seem to be too interested in holding up the lines to tax people on a few extra cartons of cigarettes.

My DH is trying to quit again. We're going on another cruise next month and I'm hoping he can quit this time but if not we'll be looking for cigarettes at one of the ports ($6 a pack at home vs $1.50 on the islands, as much as I hate my DH smoking it's a huge savings to buy them on the islands).

Wow! Who can afford to smoke these days. That is the most stupid waste of money in the world. I would never buy smokes for my son, never. In fact, I told him when he turned 13 that if I ever found him smoking he would never get another penny from me for anything. If he could afford to blow money up in smoke, then he could afford paying for everything the rest of his life starting the day I found out he was smoking. And NO second chances. Guess what, he doesn't smoke! Filthy, dirty, stinking habit that will kill you AND OTHERS AROUND YOU! Sorry, I'm not really a bible thumper, but cigarettes are my biggest peeve in the world. Why would you pay good money to kill yourself??

dave

I agree with you completely Dave BUT that being said to be naive in thinking that your son might NEVER try smoking, especially as he approaches his teen years. I hate the habit as well but my eyes are WIDE open regarding kids :) LOL Hope you kid stays too scared to try em :)

I agree with you completely Dave BUT that being said to be naive in thinking that your son might NEVER try smoking, especially as he approaches his teen years. I hate the habit as well but my eyes are WIDE open regarding kids :) LOL Hope you kid stays too scared to try em :)

I do not know the price of Cigarettes there, but I live in Nicaragua and I bring 10 cartons each time. At Customs, I pay $3.95 each for 8 cartons, being that my wife and I are each allowed 1 carton duty free. I always declare them and have never had a problem. $10 per carton plus $3.95 is still a heck of a lot cheaper than $35 in the states:)

Archived