What's the most exciting thing about Epic?

What's most intriguing -- to you! -- about Epic?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What's most intriguing -- to you! -- about Epic?

• Posh Beach Club
    • Cirque Dreams supper club/theater
    • Spa cabins
    • Shanghai's Noodle Bar
    • Solo studio staterooms
    • The ship's exterior: will it tip over?
    • Blue Man Group
    • Moderno Churrascaria, an Argentine steakhouse
    • Aqua Park for kids
    • The new wavy standard cabin design
    • Other, I'm posting below

If you had to choose one thing that is most exciting/intriguing/puzzling about NCL's new Norwegian Epic, what would it be? Vote in our poll (you only get once choice) but don't let that restriction limit you! Share your opinions in the thread that follows.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

norwegian-epic-final-sea-trials.jpg

One thing I am looking foward to the most is Howl at the Moon. On my very first cruise we stumbled upon the dueling piano bar and we were hooked. We were there everynight after the shows having such a good time. I have been looking for it ever since and have finally found it!!!;)

What's most intriguing -- to you! -- about Epic?

Several things.

The fact: of a brand new mega-ship with the smell of fresh paint.

How the Epic handles the sea.

If the problem of excessive number of passengers is solved.

If the quality of service and cuisine is good and consistent throughout the ship.

If there are some nice places to enjoy sailing on this ship.

If I will like this ship and want to sail again.

Speaking as a solo traveller, the solo studios are far and away the most attractive thing about the brand new NCL Epic.

Single people wanting to enjoy a cruise have long been penalized with ridiculous and unfair surcharges, or forced to share with a stranger, which comes some way short of ideal.

With the singles studios, the lone traveller now can enjoy their vacation, safe in the knowledge they have haven't been ripped off and with added bonus they can expect a decent sized group of other single people to be sharing the cruise with them.

I wonder when we can expect the first wedding of a couple who first met on the NCL Epic?

Speaking as a solo traveller, the solo studios are far and away the most attractive thing about the brand new NCL Epic.

Single people wanting to enjoy a cruise have long been penalized with ridiculous and unfair surcharges, or forced to share with a stranger, which comes some way short of ideal.

With the singles studios, the lone traveller now can enjoy their vacation, safe in the knowledge they have haven't been ripped off and with added bonus they can expect a decent sized group of other single people to be sharing the cruise with them.

I wonder when we can expect the first wedding of a couple who first met on the NCL Epic?

I too wonder when the first wedding after meeting on board the Epic will happen. Will they go from studio to Penthouse?

I like the idea of the studio rooms very much as I travel by myself alot (this trip with SIL and Gkids).

The other thing I like is the dueling pianos. The Blue Man Group has my Grand kids going along with the Epic Plunge. My SIL wants to chill.

1. Spa suite! These are priced well below most of the other suites, yet we still get all the suite perks!

2. BMG, Second City, Legends--all are entertainment that appeal right to my generation and people my age (50's) at least!

3. Solo cabins - when DH can't come because of work, I can finally cruise alone without being ripped off!

4. All the different options for dining! The variety!

For me the solo cabins are great because I do like to cruise frequently and cannot readily find people to go with me - even if I pay for their portion of the cabin. This will save me a ton of money and be dangerous for my vacation bank! I might be on a ship every chance I get now - especially with the Epic going to Europe. Not having to pay the dreaded single supplement means I can use that money to give to the fuel pig airlines and go across the pond! Yippee!! :D

I like a lot about Epic though and not just her studios...

1. SPICE H2O - Takes Atlantis's partying under the stars concept to new heights hopefully and gives dancing under the stars new meaning. Here's hoping the weather cooperates for this venue! It promises to be SPECTACULAR and wasn't an option above. If it were I would have chosen it.

2. POSH CLUB - If this is a cover nightclub for those of us in the Studios it'd be a great idea. I'd love to go there and can't wait for first hand passenger accounts of the vibe of this place. Anything that is Ibiza inspired is a definite must!! :D

3. MANHATTAN ROOM - Dinner and dancing... reminiscint of the days of grand ocean liners. I love this concept and cannot wait to try it. Not sure how it's going to work with the FreeStyle wear what you want concept but I'll give it a whirl anyway. Have to find a partner to dance with if I go alone.

4. PIZZA Delivery - With a fork and knife this age old past time can still be eaten even when you have orthodontia!! :D

5. CREW - So many great crew members from NCL ships I have sailed on are onboard this ship for it's delivery and each of them got there thanks to the STYLE cards that we passengers gave to them. I am very excited about the crew and hope that they return at the end of their contracts to be there next March! :)

For me the best thing is that I'll be on board a week from right now!!! :D

But really everything on the list is interesting to me. I'm interested in the new entertainment options (all of them!), the new cabin design (can't wait for the cabin crawl on our cruise!), even the water park (I won't actually use that).

Basically it's everything they're doing that is NEW and unique to Epic!

I chose the wavy room design, but I have to say since I heard about this ship so much has intrigued me and Im so happy I finally have a trip planned to experience it. I love the waterpark for the kids, blue man group, noodle bar, the size of it and the fact that its new!

I had to choose only one so I chose Cirque, but it only just barely eeked by all the other stuff I'm excited about:

- the new wave cabins - LOVE LOVE LOVE the open bathroom design!

- the waterpark

- Howl at the Moon

- Dim Sum!!!

- Churroscaria!

- rapelling wall

- a Kid's area my daughter will love

- Nick!

- BMG!

I'm sure I missed a few things, but it's ALL good!! I just can't wait!!

Hey everybody,

Just listened into the latest NCL Webcast, and a few additional Epic details were revealed:

*Didn't even realize this, but there's no Broadway-style shows on Epic ... the closest approximation is Legends in Concert (Madonna, Tina Turner tributes), which will feature singin' and dancin'.

*Onboard photo gallery 2.0? NCL will use facial recognition software on Epic to connect the professionally taken pics of cruisers to their cabin number (Oasis of the Seas features the technology). Passengers will be able to quickly browse through their photos without having to search through a sea of glossies (some like the gawker wall, of course, so the line isn't sure that it'll be done away with entirely). Technology is "90 - 95 percent accurate," says Stewart, so there's a slim chance you'll be looking at someone else's mug.

*More Vegas-like touches at sea ... Norwegian Epic's in-cabin TV's will offer slots and video poker.

Thoughts?

I'm excited about having the ability to book the solo studio cabins, so I clicked on that, but it's really hard for me to say that's the one prime reason, but I didn't want to choose Other (since that's not accurate as just one item either).

I'm super-pumped up about EPIC, simply because it's different . . . and very different. . It's also (currently) my first-ever sailing booked on NCL, but I might add another shorter NCL sailing in December.

I've been averaging about 8 cruises each year for the last four years, and have allowed myself to be satisfied with "cookie cutter". . EPIC is definitely not that. . I know it's going to be a fun experience, and I'm going to be careful not to set my vacation expectations too high, which could result in possible disappointment. . The ship interior design . . . the activities . . . the food . . . the great things I read about the crew . . . this is going to be special.

Not certain I could get as excited if I wasn't a NCL rookie. .Looking forward to being the "new guy" and learning so much from CruiseCritic as the time counts down to February.

Thanks for posting this poll!! :)

Ice bar!!:d

Gotta say I'm excited about that as well. I've been able to experience that whole "indoor cold thing" at the annual ICE exhibit each Winter here in Orlando, but the opportunity to do it as a socal (albeit short) event with a couple of drinks sounds great.

I'm still not 100% certain how the ice drinkware works. That tongue-to-ice plan didn't work out so well for Flick in "A Christmas Story". Not in my plans to be seen leaving the bar with my martini glass stuck to my lips while I wait for the darn thing to eventually melt. Ugh!!

Another vote for the ice bar!!

My top 5 to do list runs like this... Ice Bar, Cirque, Blue Man group (although for some reason I never wanted to see them on land, they intrigue me at sea!) :p Legends, Churrascaria (sp?) although there is so much to choose from. This is the main reason for us doing this cruise over so many of the others out there, the entertainment alone.

Here's wishing everyone a fantastic cruise! :)

Archived