Bringing prescription cough med onto plane? Problem???

Hi - Anyone has experience bringing a bottle of prescription cough medicine onto an airplane? It's obviously larger than 3.4 oz and you have to "alert security" that you have it. Wouldn't want them to say I'm sick and can't board. :eek: (It's just for a sinus drip that's causing a cough.)

Make sure it is not more than the required amount, etc and it will be fine, that may mean decanting some into a smaller bottle, but that should be enough for a flight. Depending on which airport you are using you may also check to see if there is a chemist airside that sells suitable brand/type.

You will be able to take it. Just have it in a ziploc bag and out of your carryon when you go through security. You are correct about having to declare it, just tell them as you get to the front of the line. Some will pick it up and examine it, others will just wave you through. Just make sure you keep it in the original bottle that has the prescription on it.

Have a great cruise.:)

Make sure it is not more than the required amount, etc and it will be fine, that may mean decanting some into a smaller bottle, but that should be enough for a flight. Depending on which airport you are using you may also check to see if there is a chemist airside that sells suitable brand/type.

You will be able to take it. Just have it in a ziploc bag and out of your carryon when you go through security. You are correct about having to declare it, just tell them as you get to the front of the line. Some will pick it up and examine it, others will just wave you through. Just make sure you keep it in the original bottle that has the prescription on it.

Have a great cruise.:)

Yes, this is important. Do NOT decant it into a smaller bottle. It must be in the original container with the prescription label on it.

Thanks so much for your answers. I know the TSA rules and all about 3-1-1, but I was just concerned that they'd see prescription cough medicine and tell me I couldn't fly. :o It will definitely be in the original prescription bottle...with my name on it. Thanks again. :)

I've brought my Tussonex in the original bottle with the RX label.

The really difficult thing are the tubes of ointment/cream, because the pharmacists won't put the labels on the tubes, so you either have to peel them off the box, or leave them in the box.

The really difficult thing are the tubes of ointment/cream, because the pharmacists won't put the labels on the tubes, so you either have to peel them off the box, or leave them in the box.

You should ask your pharmacist because my pharmacist does put labels on the actual tube in addition to the box.

Thanks so much for your answers. I know the TSA rules and all about 3-1-1, but I was just concerned that they'd see prescription cough medicine and tell me I couldn't fly. :o It will definitely be in the original prescription bottle...with my name on it. Thanks again. :)

We fly with prescription cough medicine pretty much everytime we fly and have never had anyone make any comments about one of us being sick or not. My son always seems to have issues with his asthma towards the end of a vacation so we bring his cough medicine with us so we all get to sleep. Kind of hard to sleep when someone else in the room is coughing like a seal all night.;):D

We fly with prescription cough medicine pretty much everytime we fly and have never had anyone make any comments about one of us being sick or not. My son always seems to have issues with his asthma towards the end of a vacation so we bring his cough medicine with us so we all get to sleep. Kind of hard to sleep when someone else in the room is coughing like a seal all night.;):D

Those of us with asthma often get bronchitis, and Robitussin just doesn't work.

Those of us with asthma often get bronchitis, and Robitussin just doesn't work.

Many asthmatics have a cough whether they have bronchitis or not. My son and I are cough variant asthmatics. We don't outwardly wheeze as much as we cough. When something triggers my son, not only does he need his inhalers or nebulizer, he frequently needs a strong cough medicine. Robitussin isn't even a consideration.

Archived