CocoCay Cell coverage

JordanCA

I'm trying to determine if there is cell coverage on CocoCay while our ship (FOS) is in port. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

I've looked on the boards and haven't found the specific answer I'm looking for.

I understand that while you are at sea, you can get coverage through RCCL's network, and that I'll pay for this through my carrier (AT&T in our case.) I also understand that once the ship is within a certain distance of land (supposedly within 12 miles) they turn that ship network off and you would default to whatever the local carrier is.

In this case, I checked the website of the Bahamas telco, and they do not list CocoCay (or it's previous name, Little Stirrup Cay) as an island on which there is coverage.

I called RCCL and they did not know the answer. (Side note: wondering if there is anyone on the ship I could email this question, if need be.)

So to anyone who's been on Coco Cay and used your cell - did it work? Does the ship just leave their network on during they day, and if so, do you have to be on the ship to get a signal?

Thanks in advance for any info! And in case anyone's thinking, "just relax and don't use your phone/you're on vacation," I am asking this info for my wife, who is in the middle of a sensitive business deal and may need to talk to someone that day. If she knew that this was possible, it would make her vacation (and mine:)) much more relaxing! Thanks!

About halfway around teh back side of CocoCay there is a staff/maintenance compound, and they have a cell tower. I expect it's a private network, however. Since we never use our cell phones on cruises, I can't say for sure, but my best guess is that the only coverage you'll get will be at ship's rates.

I know the ship's phone system will be working while in Coco Cay...and you will have cell phone reception on the ship, but at the ship's rates. If there IS coverage on the island, it, too, will be costly as the tower is owned by RCI.

We were on the FOS Eastern Itinerary in June. We have Sprint and tried our cell phone at every stop and the only place we got cell coverage was St. Thomas. I know you have AT&T but thought I'd mention our experience anyway.

Lois

• 5 years later...

For anyone still wondering:

CoCo Cay and Great Stirrup Cay are both covered with BTC's LTE and Voice network as of Nov. 24 2017.

I was able to pick up LTE Band 17 everywhere on the island and even in the water. The tower is located on Great Stirrup Cay however since Band 17 is in the 700 MHz, low-band range it is able to easily cover the area. Speeds of around 5-10 Mbps down and 3ish Mbps up.

Even though the area is covered in BTC coverage, there are NOT any BTC shops to buy more data/voice packages of course. I am not sure about ALIV's coverage on the islands.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...