VAT tax on cruises from Barcelona---what is it on, and what not

ontheweb

We will be sailing on the Epic from Barcelona. I would like to know exactly what we will be taxed on, and what not.

I know the spa and drinks will be subject to the tax. What about extra charge restaurants? I do not believe they are taxed if prepurchased before sailing, but are they taxed if purchased on board? How about excursions? Again, I know they are not taxed if prepurchased, but are they taxed if purchased during the cruise? What about internet minutes, are they subject to the tax? There is an extra charge for the cirque show; is that subject to the tax?

• 2 months later...

On a recent Princess cruise we received this message in our newsletter: "While the ship is in Bilbao, a 8% VAT Government Tax will be applied for all Bar Sales charged to our guests account."

We disembarked in Barcelona and were not charged VAT on any other port/sea days.

On a recent Princess cruise we received this message in our newsletter: "While the ship is in Bilbao, a 8% VAT Government Tax will be applied for all Bar Sales charged to our guests account."

We disembarked in Barcelona and were not charged VAT on any other port/sea days.

Last year on my beer purchased at the back, Sunset Bar on the Solstice at our Cruise Critic sail-away party while still in the port, YES, we were charged that sales tax on my beer. Once departed, it was back to business as usual, no added taxes.

Below is one picture that I took during that Barcelona sail-away. Later, sadly, that one neighboring ship would become somewhat "famous".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 103,292 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we did our sail-away on the Solstice in Barcelona, this was the view of a Costa ship with their unique yellow "C" stack. As you see, it was clearly a nice-looking ship. In the background, you can see the unique shape of the "W" Hotel overlooking the beaches of charming and wonderful Barcelona.:

BarcelCostaConcordiaInPort.jpg

Archived