Extreme seasickness - injection

Smiling Hi

Has anyone had any experience with taking the injection the ship's doctor gives you? Does it cure the seasickness? Someone said to take the injection as soon as we board the ship. Mom is way past bonine or dramine, doesn't feel well with the patches (which don't work for her).

If you take the injection, and you're still seasick, then what?

Just curious, have you had Mom's ears checked? Might be an inner ear issue if she gets that sick? Has she tried ginger?

Good luck!

Has anyone had any experience with taking the injection the ship's doctor gives you? Does it cure the seasickness? Someone said to take the injection as soon as we board the ship. Mom is way past bonine or dramine, doesn't feel well with the patches (which don't work for her).

If you take the injection, and you're still seasick, then what?

I agree with above poster. Have her inner ear checked and her balance. Also I was bonimine and ginger (sometimes if I feel quesy). I have a balance problem caused by MS. The shot you are talking about should only be given after seasickness has started not before.

"I have always wondered what medication is being given in the "injection". Anyone out there know?"

I'm a doctor, but not a cruise ship doctor, and I assume the injection is Compazine - a fairly good antinausea drug. It comes in pills and suppositories by prescription, as well.

The injections are indeed Compazine. My husband and I both needed them once when we cruise the Northeast Passage. We needed them the first day out when we were off the New England Coast and there was a hurricane in the Caribbean. The seas were very high.

The injections worked very well. We both slept for a few hours and were fine for formal night that evening. We were on a 10 day cruise and had no problems for the rest of the cruise.

This was about ten years ago. We have never had a problem of this magnitude since and we have been on 15 cruises. My husband wear sea bands and swears by them. He puts them on when he knows the seas will be high. Some people put them on before boarding. I have not been ill, with one exception, on the Pacifiic with exceptionally high seas when I was exceptionally tired. On that occasion the cruise line had the bags out for people by the elevators because the seas were very high. (Like the bags they give you on airplanes) That is rare, though. We did not need the shots, my husbands sea bands worked and I had medication from my doctor.

But, as far as your original question, yes the shots do work. If you do get one, go to your cabin because you will be very sleepy and you will feel much better when you wake up.

Linda

I have friends who always take Compazine pills with them, just in case. One is a doctor, and he swears by those pills. Good luck to your Mom....there's nothing worse than a bout of seasickness.:p

We take the patches. Son had to wear them last crusie, DH did for one day. I think I figured it out by the second day tho.... If I kept food in my stomach I did not get sick. Eat ASAP after rising and eat all day. Think that is why so much food on the ship? Hmmmmmm

While the oral medications are recommended to take before you actually feel seasick, the injection is given only after you experience unrelenting seasickness. It is not given as a "preventive" measure.

I would suggest trying the patch for a few days prior to the cruise to see if your Mom tolerates it okay. If she does, why not take the patch. It won't make her sleepy like the injection would, should she need it.

"I have always wondered what medication is being given in the "injection". Anyone out there know?"

I'm a doctor, but not a cruise ship doctor, and I assume the injection is Compazine - a fairly good antinausea drug. It comes in pills and suppositories by prescription, as well.

I was told by a crew member that they also use promethazine and diphenhydramine. I always carry promethazine 25 mg tablets with me just in case. Can't be too careful and I don't want to pay the Dr. bill onboard:eek: :p

Promethazine(Phenagren) and Dyphenhydramine (Benadryal) are both antihistamines. Benadryal can be purchased over the counter. Phenagren is sold by prescription only.

I take Phenagren for another reason, prescribed by my doctor. He did tell me I could use it for sea sickness if I felt I needed it.

Linda

Hope I don't need it, but we will be cruising to Bermuda late August on the Zenith. I get motion sick quite easily, so am bit concerned as I have read los of postings about the high seas that can occur from NY to Bermuda. How much is the "shot" if I need it?

If you take the travel insurance, its covered under the insurance.

It would be covered, but I believe you would be responsible for the cost up front and then have to have the insurnace company reimburse you. That's always one charge I would hope to never have on my account!:p

Archived