We're on Epic! What do you want to know?

kelly@

Norwegian Cruise Line’s much-anticipated Norwegian Epic made its long awaited debut this week and it’ll be quite a peripatetic ship! First up is a weekend mini-cruise out of Rotterdam. The ship heads over to Southampton on Tuesday, June 22 for another mini-cruise before departing to America for its July 2 christening extravaganza.

Cruise Critic’s already onboard – and we’ll be covering this innovative new ship from stem to stern.

Specifically, here on the Norwegian Epic forum, we want to hear your questions – and while I’m onboard (Tuesday, June 22, through to Thursday, June 24) I am dedicated to digging up answers. So ask away!

We’re particularly excited to check out the solo cabins (definitely a growing industry trend); the Blue Man Group and Cirque Dreams and Dinner performances; and the Epic plunge waterslide -- where you zip down 200 feet into a bowl before hitting the water. I’m not sure if I will be trying that one out personally, but I’ll definitely be heading to the Ice Bar onboard for a chilled cocktail or two and spying on SpongeBob SquarePants and Co. as they wander around the ship! Plus, there are a whopping 21 dining options to choose from -- we don’t think two days is quite enough time to sample them all, but we will do our best to give you a flavour of what we can.

As always, we are happy to answer your questions about the ship during our time onboard. But here’s a caveat: while we’ll do our best to visit every cabin category, from the aforementioned solo staterooms all the way up to Courtyard Villas (and a bunch in between), we can’t answer questions about specific cabin numbers.

And while this is the place to post your own questions (and suss out our answers), check out our home page every day (both Cruisecritic.com and cruisecritic.co.uk) for the latest news and features. In addition -- if you haven’t yet seen our new U.K. blog, well, now’s the time as we’ll be posting our impressions from the ship, beginning Saturday. Here’s a link: http://cruisecriticuk.wordpress.com/

(The blog may be geared to our U.K. readers but there’s absolutely no reason why anyone, from anyplace, can’t read it!)

1. As a non-spa cabin passenger, can I buy a spa pass for the transatlantic, where do I buy it and how much does it cost?

2. And a touchier question--how security-conscious are they for the TA? Checking for nasty surprises left by the arsonist or people who are trying to avoid TSA security screenings. Am I paranoid?

3. Money!! Can i put any leftover GBP on my onboard account for credit without being killed by a terrible exchange rate? And will they even accept them? I'm struggling with how much $$ to change, and would like to know that I can get rid of some there.

:DHi Kelly!!!

I'm soooooo jealous!! :D

I do have a question though, we have booked for next summer, Med cruise in August on the EPIC.

I have disabilities but I am not (at present) wheelchair bound but do use grab bars etc at home. My agent tried to book a HC cabin for us as she recommended we opted for one given my needs, however after being offered a cabin (a BF) by NCL we were then told we couldnt have it as it wouldnt sleep 3 and be accessible for a wheelchair. My agent said we wouldnt have a wheelchair but they still couldnt sell the cabin.

NCL in both the UK and US originally said we could have a Balcony cabin for 2 adults and our 14yr old but on booking we were told the ship simply doesnt have any on any deck only suites or insides on deck 8, all other balcony HC sleep only 2!!

We have booked a balcony cabin with a large balcony at present but I am concerned about manouverability for me in the shower etc when my husband helps me etc.

My question therefore is - Would you please be able to verify if there ARE infact any balcony cabins on any of the decks that would be suitable for 3 or does this new build ship really only have insides and suites that would accommodate 3 people??

Any info you could find out would be brilliant!! (if you can't no worries)

I'm in the uk btw,

kind regards Kelly and have a brilliant brilliant time on the EPIC, cant wait for more info and oodles of pictures !!!

Sam :)

Menus, menus, menus, menus!!!! LOL I really want to know what the MDR's are serving for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It would be great if you could do the same for the speciality restaurants, too. Also if you eat anything lovely lets us know, "your can't be missed!" so to speak.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

BTW so jealous!!!

Hi Kelly, thanks for doing this.

I'm booked into a studio cabin later this year. Please can you check out the following in the studio cabin:

Is there a hairdryer?

Are there plenty of coathangers?

Is there sufficient cupboard and wardrobe space for a two week cruise?

Can I make a brew? :D

Just so I know that I haven't got to buy a hairdryer, extra hangers, over the door thingy etc when I land in Miami or take up valuable luggage allowance packing unecessary items.

Cheers :)

Carol

Could you let us know where the extra square footage is in the deluxe balcony rooms compared to the standard balcony rooms? The deck plans look like the deluxe balconies are just longer. Also, how's the quality of the bedding? Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for helping us out! My wife and I are booked in CV and would like as much information as possible on that class of rooms. We invited my parents and sister to join us, will it be really cramped with 5 to 6 people in the CV? Is there enough closet space for that many people. Also, please let us know the specific amenities to the courtyard compared to the jewel class ships. Thanks again and have fun!

Hi Kelly!

Question is regarding the Aqua Park. I will be traveling with my 1 1/2 year old and while in no way would I attempt to bring her into the "big people" pool with swim diapers. (I didn't even go in there myself when I didn't have a kid.) Anyways, will there be places for her to splash around in besides the 1 tiny pool with the slide?

AND Did they "quarantine" the adults with kids to an area where you can't even feel like you're a part of the fun? My daughter loves to dance and would probably enjoy herself a lot more if she could hear the band while splashing around. So would her parents. :D

Thanks for any input!!!!

Tina

We had to book a courtyard villa, as no Courtyard penthouses were available on our sailing. We are just two people and the two bedrooms is a waste of space. They do not show a floor plan for the penthouse, and if one should become available...I am wondering how much smaller the livinging/bedroom/bath area is over the CV. Thanks!

:mad:Yes but some of us would like to have adults only. That is what the areas are for.

Hi Kelly!

Question is regarding the Aqua Park. I will be traveling with my 1 1/2 year old and while in no way would I attempt to bring her into the "big people" pool with swim diapers. (I didn't even go in there myself when I didn't have a kid.) Anyways, will there be places for her to splash around in besides the 1 tiny pool with the slide?

AND Did they "quarantine" the adults with kids to an area where you can't even feel like you're a part of the fun? My daughter loves to dance and would probably enjoy herself a lot more if she could hear the band while splashing around. So would her parents. :D

Thanks for any input!!!!

Tina

We had to book a courtyard villa, as no Courtyard penthouses were available on our sailing. We are just two people and the two bedrooms is a waste of space. They do not show a floor plan for the penthouse, and if one should become available...I am wondering how much smaller the livinging/bedroom/bath area is over the CV. Thanks!

We booked the cv 2 bedroom a couple of times and it is just my husband and I. We really appreciated the 2nd bedroom. We used it to put all our luggage in and after we wore something we put it right back in the suitcase so packing for home was easier. Also, the extra bathroom came in real handy at times. I really think you will enjoy it. Have a great tim.

:DHi Kelly!!!

I'm soooooo jealous!! :D

I do have a question though, we have booked for next summer, Med cruise in August on the EPIC.

I have disabilities but I am not (at present) wheelchair bound but do use grab bars etc at home. My agent tried to book a HC cabin for us as she recommended we opted for one given my needs, however after being offered a cabin (a BF) by NCL we were then told we couldnt have it as it wouldnt sleep 3 and be accessible for a wheelchair. My agent said we wouldnt have a wheelchair but they still couldnt sell the cabin.

NCL in both the UK and US originally said we could have a Balcony cabin for 2 adults and our 14yr old but on booking we were told the ship simply doesnt have any on any deck only suites or insides on deck 8, all other balcony HC sleep only 2!!

We have booked a balcony cabin with a large balcony at present but I am concerned about manouverability for me in the shower etc when my husband helps me etc.

My question therefore is - Would you please be able to verify if there ARE infact any balcony cabins on any of the decks that would be suitable for 3 or does this new build ship really only have insides and suites that would accommodate 3 people??

Any info you could find out would be brilliant!! (if you can't no worries)

I'm in the uk btw,

kind regards Kelly and have a brilliant brilliant time on the EPIC, cant wait for more info and oodles of pictures !!!

Sam :)

Ok, so I'm obviously not Kelly and, sadly, not currently on the Epic, but I wanted you to know that I did book a balcony on Deck 12 for 3 people. Later added another, so we now have 4, but there was no problem booking for three. Plus, if you look at the deck plans on NCL.com there are clearly many balconies that show as being able to accommodate 3 people.

If I were you, I'd definitely call back.

We booked the cv 2 bedroom a couple of times and it is just my husband and I. We really appreciated the 2nd bedroom. We used it to put all our luggage in and after we wore something we put it right back in the suitcase so packing for home was easier. Also, the extra bathroom came in real handy at times. I really think you will enjoy it. Have a great tim.

thanks for the info...and that second bedroom is pretty small from the picture so it's like having another big closet!! question for you...when we were on Jewel in an A1..the concierge used to meet us right before the show and take us in to a reserved seating area. Was that ever offered to you as a Courtyard Villa guest?

Archived