How much to Pack - 14 day Meditteranean???

AnthonyF

I have no idea, except I think my spouse is going overboard. She started with 14 pairs of underwear and I expect the same amount of socks.... That is just a start..... there are 4 of us...... There is no way it will fit in the cabin, much less the plane.....

We always over pack for 1 week trips and I expect she is going to double everything.....

We are in our 40's if that matters.....

I have no idea, except I think my spouse is going overboard. She started with 14 pairs of underwear and I expect the same amount of socks.... That is just a start..... there are 4 of us...... There is no way it will fit in the cabin, much less the plane.....

We always over pack for 1 week trips and I expect she is going to double everything.....

There are a million opinions on how much to take. And we have packed enough for the entire cruise, and always end up with stuff not used. You always overpack. Undies of course usually isn't one of them.

But to try and reduce the two-weeks packing for four (and the overpacking of 'I think I may need this also..'), the ship has an excellent and quck laundry/dry cleaning service. Back the nexr day. The Celebrity website shows the prices. Some have complained, but I was sitting in a hotel room and compared the prices and realized the ship's prices were definitely less. And the hotel was not high end!

And we are about to go on a 10-day/13-day B2B cruise, and we just finished a 14-day cruise and took less then 'enough' to cover every day, by using the ship laundry/dry cleaning services. Celebrity does not have a self-serve laundry, than god! So we turned it in and got it back next day. And you ALWAYS overpack. We took 10 days of clothes and will do the same for the 23-day B2B and will use the facilities.

You'll find that if you pack for 10-days, you'll have enough shirts, pants, dresses and so on for 14 days, and just have to launder socks and underwear because what you pack for 10 days usually suffices for 14 days. Human nature.

I've gone to those multi-pocket pants that zipper into shorts and even with a built-in for swimming. Columbia is the major brand but there are alot of knockoffs. Good shirts and pants/shorts that are partial nylon that wash and dry very quickly and are very comfortable. I can wear them as shorts until needed as pants for a church, or area in town needing more dress, and on the ship for dining in the MDR. Very flexible. I've even washed them myself in the sink and they dry quickly.

Try stuff such as that. But my recommendation is to pack for 10days and launder what you need near the end. There are discounts sometimes near the end of the cruise.

Have a great cruise and good luck talking your wife into cutting back!

Denny

I am trying to keep the clothing to a minimum and plan to use the laundry service on board. We are a family of 5 (3 teenagers) and are on the Summit for 12 days next month, and then a post cruise stay in Sicily for 2 weeks. What is the average cost of a bag of laundry? I know there is a price list on Celebrity's website, but I am trying to get a feel for an average cruisers laundry bill? Anyone who has sailed recently that recalls what a few days worth of laundry cost them?

It is very difficult to pack for much more than 7-10 days and actually get around with the luggage required. Pack for a seven day trip AND assume you'll be getting more wear out of some clothes AND then give essentials to the Celebrity laundry service half-way through the trip and pay for it with savings from avoiding excess baggage handling fees.

Hi, I found lots of good info on cruise diva dot com. If you look under packing lists and info for new cruisers - you'll have lists and everything. There is also info for travelling on a cruise with kids!!

Hope you have a good time!

Once we discovered the ship's laundry service....shirts perfectly pressed and on hangers when returned...I was hooked. Now, I plan on what to wear and for how many days, and when exactly I will use the laundry services. You can wear a shirt for two days, often; on a sea day, often I wear a shirt to breakfast, then change it for swimwear, and might put the shirt back on later in the day for a couple of hours prior to changing for dining. Why would I assign that shirt to the laudry basket? Other clothing items (except underwear!:eek:) can be treated the same way. Who says that you cannot wear shorts/pants more than a few times? You're travelling, not at home with access to all that you own!

None of the above applies if you pack in several pieces of luggage, are over the weight limit for air travel and don't mind paying whatever it takes to get your stuff to your stateroom. :cool: Otherwise, plan to mix and match. Your wife will want to pack shoes that will go with several outfits...the buggers add a lot of weight and take up a lot of space, even if she has small feet!:D

When we cruised the Med we used the ship's laundry for some items....there was a coupon book in our cabin and I believe the deal was $20 for everything you could pack in the bag provided. Some careful bag packing resulted in about a $23 savings over what I would have paid on an individual item basis!!! Also, I always pack a baggie with powdered detergent to rinse out socks & undies!! (I refuse to pay for overweight baggage....) Another thought....try to pack items that are very lightweight - silk, nylon, etc. They take less room in the suitcase and dry quickly. Use the little clothesline in your shower/tub area.

To minimize what you need to pack for a 14 day Mediterranean Cruise here are my suggestions:

One pair of dressy black pants with three different dressy tops for formal nights.

Three pairs of capri's that can be used for sight seeing and casual nights.

Three pairs of shorts for sea days.

Three pairs of nice slacks for other evenings.

Tops which can be mixed and matched with several different bottoms. With the exception of dressy tops for formal nights, I never pack a top that can be worn with only one pair of pants or shorts.

Flats, dressy shoes, sandals, and comfortable walking shoes

Evening bag for formal night.

Smaller than normal everyday purse for walking around the ship when you don't need your wallet, etc.

Underware, nighties, etc.

Keep in mind that with the heat in the Mediterranean a top worn even for just a few hours will probably have to be washed before it can be worn again. So on a two week Mediterranean Cruise, we used the ship's laundry service around three times.

We are also going on a 14-nt cruise on Summit--but in Oct. in the Med. Do you have changes to your recommended list? I was thinking about a light jacket too. Do you still think that tops can only be worn a few hours?

It will probably be a lot cooler in October than it was when we went last June so you should be able wear a top twice before it needs to be laundered.

Since you are going in October I would recommend a wind breaker with a hood for sight seeing because it is more likely to rain in October than June. This way you can tie it around your waist if you are too warm to wear it while being ready for unexpected rain.

One type of top I like to bring is a blouse with sleeves which can either be worn by itself or with a sleeveless top like a jacket.

My wife and I use the Laundry. Our first cruise we overpacked and now we really try and limit what we bring and keep it down to 3 bags or less. I saw that someone already mentioned the fill the bag coupons which we get two of since we're both Captains Club.

Does the Solstice have a self-serve laudry room, so you can wash and dry clothes without sending them out to get washed? Okay, I admit it; I don't like other people washing my clothes (even on vacation)!

Hi,

We did 10 day E. Med in June We used carry on and tote for each of us. There is laundry service ($24.95 for a bag) expensive but worth it. If you want I will send you my packing list

Carole

Does the Solstice have a self-serve laudry room, so you can wash and dry clothes without sending them out to get washed? Okay, I admit it; I don't like other people washing my clothes (even on vacation)!

No self-service laundry.

Pack what you need.If you like different every day,pack more.Otherwise pack for 7 and wear twice.Your question is subjective.Nobody can tell you how to pack. I can tell you that 4 large suitcases will fit nicely under the bed.There is also plenty of additional storage.Don't worry about it!

Just back from the Solstice on the Med, 7/17-27. I usually pack heavy but tried to make an effort to cut down this time.

We definitely went through the "port wear" quickly because it was really hot and we'd come back to the ship really sweaty, but the blouses, shirts and pants we changed into for dinner usually were good for a couple of nights.

We used the ship laundry halfway through the cruise for some of our clothes, we just paid by the piece and the prices were very reasonable. (You can find the complete price list in the FAQ at the Celebrity website, but sport shirts were $2.75.) I made sure I brought enough undies for the whole trip, but I didn't bring enough socks and ended up washing some in the bathroom sink one morning. I laid them out on a chair on the balcony and they were dry by the time we set sail, so that worked out great.

Don't pack too much into the suitcase because you'll need room to bring back souvenirs!! I roll my clothes for the return trip and manage to squeeze more into the suitcase that way.

Sue

We have done quite a few 10-14 day cruises and generally have pre and post cruise stays attached and we never pack for more than 7 days. Occasionally, we will pack a little more underwear, but we just budget for laundry/dry cleaning and usually wash underwear out in the sink. If you save outfits just for evening, its easy to use them for two or three nights. If you never wear the same thing two nights in a row, nobody will remember that you wore it before. Choose your outfits based on one basic color to cut back on the number of shoes. Tell your kids to hang their clothes up after wearing - always a big surprise with my grand kids as it seems to be a foreign concept to them.

One more thing, be very careful with the weight limits in Europe. You can get burned big time in some locations.

Hi,

We did 10 day E. Med in June We used carry on and tote for each of us. There is laundry service ($24.95 for a bag) expensive but worth it. If you want I will send you my packing list

Carole

Carole - thanks for the info. I've been trying to find out about a by the bag cost for laundry, and wasn't very successful. We're going to the Med in less than 2 weeks, on the Solstice. If laundry deals are available, it's less to pack!

Carole - thanks for the info. I've been trying to find out about a by the bag cost for laundry, and wasn't very successful. We're going to the Med in less than 2 weeks, on the Solstice. If laundry deals are available, it's less to pack!

No laundry deals other than the bag. No self svc laundramat either. No clothesline in the bathroom. Celebrity website has pricing. Best bet is to budget another $30.00 for laundry which is still cheaper than checking a bag on your flight.

Enjoy

Carole

Archived