How to dress for Alaskan cruise

Riogirl2348

Actually the temps in Alaska are about the same as the temps in Chicago.Summer outfits are what you should wear but be sure you have a sweater. I have been in Anchorage when it was 90 degrees in August. When you are on the sea near the glaciars it is cool but you will be fine with long pants etc.

I am going in July and will be taking both summer and fall type dresses for dinner and gowns for formal nights. The weather is very unpredictable in Alaska so its better to take a little of both and make sure to bring items you can layer with such as a wrap or something similar to go with your dinner dress. Also, I know you are talking about dinner here but make sure you bring hat, gloves, scarf, and medium weight jacket because it does get cold outside, especially when viewing glaciers. The last Alaska cruise I went on was also in July and when we went through Glacier Bay and College Fjord we were on our balcony with a pot of coffee, jackets, and blankets wrapped around our heads (btw- it was sunny and decent weather at the time). Just fyi, I am from Oregon so I am not a cold weather whimp;)

I have my list set for our Alaskan cruise. I am bringing 2 pairs of black pants, a long black skirt and several dressy tops to coordinate for the evenings, one pair of shoes and some mix and match jewelry and scarves. We are more concerned with the 5 days on land plus the active excursions we have planned off the ship. I need the room in my suitcase for jeans, sweatshirts and fleeces.

This will be my first Alaskan cruise. We sail on Celebruty Infinity June 29. How does one dress for the evening in terms of temperature? Winter dresses? Are summer ensembles OK? Thanks!

In the evenings summer ensembles are fine on an Alaskan cruise IMO. I usually wear black pants and a top on informal nights and sparkly tops and long skirts or dressy pants on formal nights. I don't get cold on the ships in Alaska but a sweater is handy. By the way, we are on the Infinity on the 29th as well. Flying out tomorrow. Enjoy!

We are elite members of the Celebrity loyalty program. While we live in Alaska we have done two Alaskan cruises, both on Celebrity. We found that on formal nights the dress on the two Alaskan cruises was more casual than the formal night dress on other Celebrity cruises. In other words, on the formal nights on the two Alaska cruises passengers were wearing less formal than we normally see on Celebrity. While women were still wearing glittery and sparkling tops I thought there were fewer long dresses and definitely fewer tuxes than one would expect to find on a Celebrity trans-atlantic or trans-pacific cruise.

My wife and I found the key was layering. Start with lighter things, but be prepared to throw on a medium weight sweater and a light windbreaker and long pants if weather turns cold or rainy. I wore short sleeve shirt with jacket and tie to Formal night. Wife wore long sleeves because the ship always seems cold to her due to air conditioning in the dining room. Hope you have a great time.

Dresses are fine and your husband will need a jacket or they may not let him into the MDR on formal night.

Make sure you bring warm clothes too because if it is overcast and windy especially near the glacier the temperatures drop dramatically.

We just got back last month on the Infinity and it was very very cold and windy but sunny.

Bring hat, gloves, neck scarf and layer your clothing because you never know

Have a great cruise.

Dresses are fine and your husband will need a jacket or they may not let him into the MDR on formal night.

Make sure you bring warm clothes too because if it is overcast and windy especially near the glacier the temperatures drop dramatically.

We just got back last month on the Infinity and it was very very cold and windy but sunny.

Bring hat, gloves, neck scarf and layer your clothing because you never know

Have a great cruise.

This exactly. Make sure you have a waterproof outer layer with a hood. I wore a short-sleeved T, light cardigan, fleece underlayer, and waterproof shell, with jeans. (I have a Columbia jacket where the fleece and shell match, but any type of jacket will do.) This way you are able to take on and off layers as you wish. Make sure to bring hat, gloves and scarf because the glacier day is COLD. Make sure you have a hood, because umbrellas are frankly too unwieldy, heavy to carry, and poke people as you are getting on and off the boat. Not to mention the huge winds in many ports (especially Skagway) make it impossible to carry.

Actually the temps in Alaska are about the same as the temps in Chicago.Summer outfits are what you should wear but be sure you have a sweater. I have been in Anchorage when it was 90 degrees in August. When you are on the sea near the glaciars it is cool but you will be fine with long pants etc.

Huh?? I live in Chicago and couldn't disagree more. Alaska summers are nothing like ours (unless you are talking about the southern tail end, and even then they are really different). Yes, it can get that hot in Alaska but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I have been on three Alaska cruises and while we did encounter one or two 80 degree days, most were in the 50's. Add a cold breeze off the deck, or the usual rain and drizzle and that can feel pretty darn cold. It seemed to me the inside of the ship was more cool also than in the Caribbean. I would personally advise women to leave the shoulder baring sundresses behind, or at the very least make sure to bring something to cover your arms, especially if you plan to walk the deck at all in the evening.

Huh?? I live in Chicago and couldn't disagree more. Alaska summers are nothing like ours (unless you are talking about the southern tail end, and even then they are really different). Yes, it can get that hot in Alaska but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I have been on three Alaska cruises and while we did encounter one or two 80 degree days, most were in the 50's. Add a cold breeze off the deck, or the usual rain and drizzle and that can feel pretty darn cold. It seemed to me the inside of the ship was more cool also than in the Caribbean. I would personally advise women to leave the shoulder baring sundresses behind, or at the very least make sure to bring something to cover your arms, especially if you plan to walk the deck at all in the evening.

Makes sense if it is cold enough for ice it is cold enough for a jumper/jacket.

Archived