Titanic size versus our new cruise ships

Gingee

I am not trying to be negative or anything but I am a Titanic buff and am reading one of the books now. Anyway, does any of our computer buffs know how to put something on line to compare the big ships now (pick any) compared to the Titanic size. I am thinking like in pictures - ship next to ship. Does that make sense?

Hello,

The Titanic is actually quite small compared to modern cruise ships.

The Titanic weighed 46,000 gross tons and length of 883 Feet.

The Oasis of the Seas (soon to be the largest cruise ship) will weigh 222,900 gross tons and be 1,184 feet.

Even older cruise ships (i.e. Royal Caribbean's Vision Class) are a bit longer than the Titanic and about 50% more gross tons.

The book I am now reading is called 1912 Titanic facts. As I was cleaning up today, I found out that I have already read it AND I already have a copy so now I have two. What do I do now? LOL

Pretty good comparisons to the people who put those diagrams up.

Thanks

An excerpt from the passenger passage contract for the Titanic:

All passengers are liable to be rejected, who, upon examination, are found to be lunatic, idiot, deaf, dumb, blind, maimed, or infirm, or above the age of 60 years; or widow with a child or children; or any woman without a husband with a child or children; or any person unable to take care of himself (or herself) without becoming a public charge, or who from any attending circumstances are likely to become a public charge, or who from sickness or disease, existing at the time of departure, are likely soon to become a public charge. Sick persons or widows with children cannot be taken, nor lame persons, unless full security be given for the bonds to be entered into by the steamer to the United States Government, that the parties will not become chargeable to the State.

My grandfathers arrived at Ellis Island within a year of each other. The first sailed 2nd class from Cadiz in 1905 and paid $20.00 for his ticket. The second sailed 3rd class (steerage) from Southampton in 1906 and his ticket also cost $20.00. I found pictures of the ships and the ship manifests on the Ellis Island web site. My scrapbook pages are here and here.

An excerpt from the passenger passage contract for the Titanic:

All passengers are liable to be rejected, who, upon examination, are found to be lunatic, idiot, deaf, dumb, blind, maimed, or infirm, or above the age of 60 years; or widow with a child or children; or any woman without a husband with a child or children; or any person unable to take care of himself (or herself) without becoming a public charge, or who from any attending circumstances are likely to become a public charge, or who from sickness or disease, existing at the time of departure, are likely soon to become a public charge. Sick persons or widows with children cannot be taken, nor lame persons, unless full security be given for the bonds to be entered into by the steamer to the United States Government, that the parties will not become chargeable to the State.

The reason for the rules are that they would have been sent back from ellis island at white star's expense.... none of this applies to first call of course, who got dropped off on Manhattan directly...

If you are ever in ny the ellis island tour is a great way to spent a day...

I am not trying to be negative or anything but I am a Titanic buff and am reading one of the books now. Anyway, does any of our computer buffs know how to put something on line to compare the big ships now (pick any) compared to the Titanic size. I am thinking like in pictures - ship next to ship. Does that make sense?

Found this site recently that will do what you are looking for.

http://www.nauticalcities.com/index.php

I picked out a couple of the RCCL ships to compare.... but the site allows you to pick any three ships to compare. (I left off the ship profile drawings that are on the site)

Ship Name-----------Operator------------GRT----LGTH-----Beam----KTS----PSG---Crew

Titanic---------------White Star Line-----46,328----882------92--------23----1317----891

Oasis of the Seas------RCCL------------220,000---1,181---154-------20-----N/A-----N/A

Freedom of the Seas---RCCL-----------154,407---1,112---127-------21----3634----1397

• 4 months later...

Archived