discount for 3rd and 4th person????

twinklen01

I noticed that when I was checking out a cruise for December. I was confused at first, but then I realized that the the price for 2 people was for a room in the lower category. Since they couldn't fit 4 people in a room in the lower category, I was quoted for a room in the higher category.

In other words, yes, the discount is still there if you're comparing rooms in the same category.

does carnival still offer a discount for 3rd and 4th person? I've check and dont see it. I've deducted the amount for 2 adults from the price before taxes and the 3rd price is just as much as 1st and 2nd person. I really hate the new pricing website:mad:

yes they still discount for 3rd and 4th pax in a cabin.

CCL in it's infinite wisdom to make things more confusing and deceptive in my opinion average out the price of all 4 in the room.

Example first 2 in cabin $500 per person.

3rd and 4th in cabin $200 per person.

Total is $1400 but on the CCL website it will show the price as $350 per person.

While it's the same amount it seems a lot cheaper when you see that $350.:rolleyes:

Bill

I hate the new booking engine and the way they display the prices as well. However, they do still discount the rate for the 3rd, 4th, & 5th. They just don't tell you what it is. The best way to figure it out is to price out the same room under the same rate for 2 people then for 3 people. If it's $500pp for the 1st 2, it will show a cruise fare total of $1000 for 2. If you then do the same room under the same rate for 3 people and it shows $1200 as total cruise fare, then you know it's $200 for the 3rd. However, as you're pricing it out for 3, the thing will say $400pp (when selecting the rate) instead of breaking it down for you. I don't know why they're doing that. I guess they like confusing some of us and making some us have to work alot harder to do our research.

It looks like Bill & I were sharing a brain at the same time here. I promise we didn't plan that. :)

I know many people dont like the new prices I wish carnival would listen and show the 3rd and 4th price. I use to check the prices daily but since the change i hate checking now. My Jan cruise was to be on the splendor but was canceled. Now i need to look for another cruise but the prices show one price but once i continue its way more. I will do the extra work and check prices for 2 guest then 3guest.

Carnival does have a discount rate for the third, fourth or fifth passenger in the same cabin. The third, fourth and fifth passengers have the same amount of deposit as the first two. You can tell the price for a third passenger buy using the fare viewer for three passengers then for two passengers and the difference is the third passenger.

This will sound harsh,,, not meant to be,,,,but,, what's the difference?

The total price is the total price.

Is it important to people that they feel validated that they are saving money by actually seeing a special discount for the 3rd or 4th person?

Or, is there something else that I'm missing?

Is it important to people that they feel validated that they are saving money by actually seeing a special discount for the 3rd or 4th person?

A lot of people check prices to see if they drop.

Putting a fake price for all the pax .. which confuses a lot of people such as the OP .. harder to check prices, since you need to know the real prices to submit ES price form yourself.

..just for starters

A lot of people check prices to see if they drop.

Putting a fake price for all the pax .. which confuses a lot of people such as the OP .. harder to check prices, since you need to know the real prices to submit ES price form yourself.

..just for starters

but doesn't the price for the entire party have to drop to qualify for an ES price drop? Therefore, the new pricing structure is easier.

I agree. It's a puzzle. When the price comes up, it clearly says at the top that the price is an average based on the number of people. The total is the total, no matter.

You know the pp price when you check the fare you want. Just deduct the pp price from the total--what's left is the fare for the other passenger(s). If it's 2 others,divide the remainder by 2, giving you the pp price for 3/4 passengers,..,

I can't understand what the obsession is...as long at the total is the same, who cares.

does carnival still offer a discount for 3rd and 4th person? I've check and dont see it. I've deducted the amount for 2 adults from the price before taxes and the 3rd price is just as much as 1st and 2nd person. I really hate the new pricing website:mad:

After you book it, in your cruise manager it does break it down the old way so you can look up ES drops easily at that time. We already got $20 pp on the Conquest.

To some of us it makes it easier to see price drops. plus i like to know the price for each person.

heres what i'm talking about

Splendor Jan 1, 2012

3people

interior room

aft

upper deck 6

early saver rate says $483

total for 3 before taxes $1447

taxes $168.63

total $1615.63

so if early saver is $483x2= $966

$1447 is total price for 3 before taxes

=$481 for 3rd person right so wheres the discount??? $3

Those that were use to old pricing site and looked for price drops will understand why i'm confused.

I agree. It's a puzzle. When the price comes up' date=' it clearly says at the top that the price is an average based on the number of people. The total is the total, no matter.

You know the pp price when you check the fare you want. Just deduct the pp price from the total--what's left is the fare for the other passenger(s). If it's 2 others,divide the remainder by 2, giving you the pp price for 3/4 passengers,..,

I can't understand what the obsession is...as long at the total is the same, who cares.[/quote']

So if it is no big deal why the heck did Carnival not leave the way they showed pricing for the 3rd and 4th passenger alone. I think it was easier the old way where they showed the pricing, why now do we have to do the math and also figure out taxes. It may not make a difference once you book a cruise, but when you are just searching for a cruise to go on with more than 2 people especially if it is friends not family, then the new way is a pain in the butt.

So if it is no big deal why the heck did Carnival not leave the way they showed pricing for the 3rd and 4th passenger alone.

IMHO, I think it makes Carnival look better when comparing rates against other companies (TA's). If you are calling around or searching on the internet and just look at the price per person, Carnival looks lower. We all know to look at the total price, but does everyone, especially newbies?

To some of us it makes it easier to see price drops. plus i like to know the price for each person.

heres what i'm talking about

Splendor Jan 1, 2012

3people

interior room

aft

upper deck 6

early saver rate says $483

total for 3 before taxes $1447

taxes $168.63

total $1615.63

so if early saver is $483x2= $966

$1447 is total price for 3 before taxes

=$481 for 3rd person right so wheres the discount??? $3

Those that were use to old pricing site and looked for price drops will understand why i'm confused.

That $483 the website is showing is an average (rounded up) for each person, but it is not the per person rate. The 1st & 2nd persons' rates are higher than the 3rd, but they average out to $483. The 3rd person discount is not only $3. If you go back into that sailing and do it for just 2 people with the parameters you set, you will see a total cruise fare of $1168, or $584 each. That means that the 3rd person's rate is $279 ($1447-$1168), while 1st & 2nd are $584. So the 3rd persons rates is $305 less. That's how you have to come up with the rate.

For those that are wondering why it even matters, just trust us that for us, it does. When thinking of adding a 3rd or 4th to the room, it's nice to know how much more it would be. If I'm booked in the room on the above example with one other person, we're booked at $584 each. If I want to add a 3rd, it's nice to know that the 3rd person would only add $279 and not $584 (or $483). Plus, if there are 4 of us wanting to go, all Carnival shows us is the average price. If we're confused, thinking that the 3rd & 4th persons get no price break, we see no financial benefit for booking one room instead of two. I'd like to know how much we're actually saving by booking just one room. Even though I can go through the multiple steps and calculate that out, it's ridiculous that Carnival forces us to do it ourselves.

That $483 the website is showing is an average (rounded up) for each person, but it is not the per person rate. The 1st & 2nd persons' rates are higher than the 3rd, but they average out to $483. The 3rd person discount is not only $3. If you go back into that sailing and do it for just 2 people with the parameters you set, you will see a total cruise fare of $1168, or $584 each. That means that the 3rd person's rate is $279 ($1447-$1168), while 1st & 2nd are $584. So the 3rd persons rates is $305 less. That's how you have to come up with the rate.

For those that are wondering why it even matters, just trust us that for us, it does. When thinking of adding a 3rd or 4th to the room, it's nice to know how much more it would be. If I'm booked in the room on the above example with one other person, we're booked at $584 each. If I want to add a 3rd, it's nice to know that the 3rd person would only add $279 and not $584 (or $483). Plus, if there are 4 of us wanting to go, all Carnival shows us is the average price. If we're confused, thinking that the 3rd & 4th persons get no price break, we see no financial benefit for booking one room instead of two. I'd like to know how much we're actually saving by booking just one room. Even though I can go through the multiple steps and calculate that out, it's ridiculous that Carnival forces us to do it ourselves.

Thanks for breaking it down for me. When i tried doing the 2 guest the same deck wasn't avail so i cant remember if it was more or less so it through me off. Plus early saver rate price was different.

With the old site i was able to see everthing and it made more sense and it was less work. I think I saved a total of $95-$101 with early saver price drops so it is important to many of us-lol!

Thanks for breaking it down for me. When i tried doing the 2 guest the same deck wasn't avail so i cant remember if it was more or less so it through me off. Plus early saver rate price was different.

With the old site i was able to see everthing and it made more sense and it was less work. I think I saved a total of $95-$101 with early saver price drops so it is important to many of us-lol!

since I dont know trigononmetry to figure it the prices on CCL's page I just go to a travel agent site.

Much simpler and i don't have to click 10 pages to find out the price.

Bill

The total amount for the cruise fare is what counts to get an OBC. That fare does not include the taxes and port charges for the OBC. Now that I have cruises I don’t care whether the fare for the first two passengers or the third passenger went down as long as the total went down.

Archived