Cabin Stewards really make this much $$$

Just got off Explorer this morning.

Our cabin steward had 15 cabins, and they no longer work in pairs so he had all 15 cabins by himself and gets the total tips.

Cabin stewards make $5.00 a day per person. So at the least he has 30 people to take care of.

Yes I know he works about 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours at night.

and yes I know not everyone tips but lets say it's a perfect world and everyone tip the $5.00 per day.

So by doing the math 30 people x $5.00= $150.00 a day

$150 a day times 361 days comes out to $54,150.00

Do they really make that much or does Royal Caribbean take some of that money from them?

$150 a day????

Jimbo:)

They don't work 361 days a year. Their contracts are usually for 6 months, and then 8--10 weeks off.

They do not keep the entire tip. A portion of it goes to behind the scenes housekeeping people too. (It says right on the gratuities guideline page on the RCI website "other housekeeping services")

They don't work 361 days a year. Their contracts are usually for 6 months, and then 8--10 weeks off.

They do not keep the entire tip. A portion of it goes to behind the scenes housekeeping people too. (It says right on the gratuities guideline page on the RCI website "other housekeeping services")

I've never really liked the idea of "pooling" tips. I think tipped employees shoulf be able to keep 100% of their tips. It's then up to the business owner to fairly compensate the non-tipped employees.

If you did the math, assuming each day he worked ten hours, that is only about $15/hour. Then give a portion to the behind the sceen's people, take out taxes, and account for the fact that they are not at home with their families and friends and can't do many of the things that people do working on land. You'd have to pay me a lot more than that do do their job!

Didn't know that thanks for the information.

Also during the cruise we paid for the Chop's Filet Mignon which is $14.95 per person in the Dining Room one night, there was a 15 % Gratuity added on to our check.

Any idea who gets that 15 % tip

As Donna mentioned above, they do not keep the entire $5 per day per person. They are charged $1 per day per person by Royal for other services. When someone stiffs them (which happens more often than you might imagine), they have to fill out a form so Royal gives them back $1 per person per day for those cabins that stiffed them.

Some people on the ship make a mess in there rooms everyday. It takes alot to clean up after slobs. They work hard for the money working a split shift. It's a job that alot of people will not do. Why does it matter how much they make even if they make $54K a year?

Has anyone ever walked by cabins whose doors are open for cleaning?

Some of them are left like pig stys...I feel sorry for many of the cabin stewards especially when they get stiffed out of gratuities by cheap pax.:(

We have been on many cruises and we no longer have the steward come in the cabin in the morning, it's just not needed, once at night while we are at dinner is enough. We just have him leave extra towels each night.

I will see him or her in the morning to get ice but that is it.

Works well for us but I know not everyone.

Our cabin steward had 15 cabins, and they no longer work in pairs so he had all 15 cabins by himself and gets the total tips.

Cabin stewards make $5.00 a day per person. So at the least he has 30 people to take care of.

and yes I know not everyone tips but lets say it's a perfect world and everyone tip the $5.00 per day.

Do they really make that much or does Royal Caribbean take some of that money from them?

$150 a day????

I would figure it more like they work 44 weeks a year (8 weeks off to go home).

Then, realistically, figure 80% actually do tip them.

That makes $36,960 per year, but they also have to pay for uniform cleaning, and their personal miscellaneous expenses.

Some people on the ship make a mess in there rooms everyday. It takes alot to clean up after slobs. They work hard for the money working a split shift. It's a job that alot of people will not do. Why does it matter how much they make even if they make $54K a year?

Just thought it was much less. Sorry I asked the question:(

Interesting discussion. I've always heard that both room stewards and dining room staff do a lot of "kicking up", as well as "kicking down", when it comes to tips. For example, if your room steward is generous to the folks in the laundry, he/she is assured an adequate supply of linens. Having plenty of clean towels for the guests then helps assure that room steward will receive better than average tips. Kind a big circle... :cool:

I've never really liked the idea of "pooling" tips. I think tipped employees shoulf be able to keep 100% of their tips. It's then up to the business owner to fairly compensate the non-tipped employees.

Which is why I still tip in cash and do not add the charges to my SeaPass account -- CASH IS KING:D!!

Just thought it was much less. Sorry I asked the question:(

It's an interesting subject. If you are discussing it generically, and not trying to find out how much a particular person makes, then no harm/no foul.

We all talk about how much politicians, entertainers, and sports figures make, why not a cabin steward?:D

Then, realistically, figure 80% actually do tip them.

That makes $36,960 per year, .

Which in many of their countries is probably akin to making 100K per year here in the US..........or even more.

Im sure I will get blasted for this but I really appreciate what they do but I also I have a hard time feeling "sorry" for them. I do my part and tip as suggested and thats all I can do. Im sure most of them make more than I do when comparing how far the dollar goes in their country vs. here in the US. Of course I dont work those long hours either though.

$150 a day????

OK it´s been discussed already that the crew doesn´t work the whole year, but I´m really curious how you came up with 361 days? :confused:

What´s the 4 days you thought they get off?

Archived