Royal Caribbean Announces Allure of the Seas Will Undergo Repairs in February 2014

NBCNewsGuy

Royal Caribbean Announces Allure of the Seas Will Undergo Repairs in February 2014

MIAMI, Nov. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal Caribbean International announced today that a mechanical issue has made it necessary to perform unscheduled repairs to Allure of the Seas. The repairs will take place at Grand Bahama Shipyard, in Freeport, Bahamas, the week of February 24, 2014. As a result, it will be necessary to cancel the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas.

"We sincerely regret that we will be unable to deliver the Royal Caribbean cruise vacation that our guests were looking forward to," said Adam Goldstein, president and chief executive officer, Royal Caribbean International. "We understand that our guests' vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly. But it was very important to us that we bring Allure back up to speed so that she could continue to deliver the amazing cruise vacations our guests expect."

Allure of the Seas has been experiencing unanticipated bearing wear in one of its three propulsion motors. All three motors are fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of guests and crew. However, since the rate of bearing wear is directly related to ship speed, the ship's top speed has been limited. This has reduced the rate of bearing wear, and will ensure that all three propulsion motors are fully available for maneuvering and emergencies until repairs can be completed.

"While Allure could have continued to sail at a reduced rate of speed, we felt it was important to fix the problem as soon as possible," said William D. Baumgartner, senior vice president of Marine Operations, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "We explored numerous repair options. Unfortunately, there was no satisfactory solution that did not involve taking the ship temporarily out of service."

The company said guests currently booked on the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas will receive a full, 100 percent refund, or the option to sail on select itineraries at the same rate.

Additionally, until the repairs can be made, it will be necessary to make minor adjustments to Allure of the Seas' eastern Caribbean itineraries. Allure of the Seas will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no need to modify Allure of the Seas' western Caribbean itineraries.

WOW! Well, good news for me.

I applaud them for making it known as soon as they knew (It is reasonable to assume it could take 3-4 weeks to get plans set).

I am shocked they can go to Freeport. I've heard repeatedly the ship was too big. That's a surprise :)

Now those of us with cruises prior can plan on the revised itinerary. And those who are on the cancelled sailing have advance notice to make other arrangements. I do feel for those booked but hopefully arrangements can be made.

I'll wait for my email about my itinerary change ;)

Edited by reney313

I'm also intrigued how they're going to undertake the repairs given Grand Bahama didn't have the ability to dry dock the class (unless they've acquired another dock somehow) - I'm assuming they'll need to dismantle the azipod to sort out the bearings issue

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm also intrigued how they're going to undertake the repairs given Grand Bahama didn't have the ability to dry dock the class (unless they've acquired another dock somehow) - I'm assuming they'll need to dismantle the azipod to sort out the bearings issue

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm sure they have a plan to care for it, but I am also curious how. It does amaze me sometimes the engineering marvels these ship builders and yards can achieve. Maybe they should do a documentary of it :D

Hi guys, unlucky enough to have booked our honeymoon cruise on the feb 23rd sailing :(

no word from RC by email or otherwise.

Any suggestions as to what we need to / should do about this?

Already have a a fair amount of it paid of, and have flights booked and paid for into FL around the cruise times!

disappointed! (maybe its a sign! :D )

Don't do anything yet. They will be calling in the coming days (or, if you booked via TA, they will be calling your TA).

Often in these cases they offer a few options to change your cruise (typically at the same price you paid and sometimes plus obc) or a refund (as stated in the article). BUT, if you cancel or change before they contact you, you get nothing. So wait it out - they'll call you.

Hi guys, unlucky enough to have booked our honeymoon cruise on the feb 23rd sailing :(

Already have a a fair amount of it paid of, and have flights booked and paid for into FL around the cruise times!

I'm so sorry! I would be disappointed too if it were my sailing! And it's your honeymoon!!!

I'm sure RCI will be sending notifications out soon.

Maybe it's possible to switch to Oasis for the same week? Although that is Sat-Sat and I'm guessing you are getting married on Saturday?

I believe Freedom also cruises out on Sunday's from Port Canaveral to the W. Caribbean.

Or, of course, there are other cruise lines.

I wish you the best of luck!! I can't imagine having to reschedule a honeymoon.

Oasis sails (albeit Eastern Caribbean) the day before. I'd give the office a call in the morning to see what they'd offer to switch (as honeymoon should at least give you a upgrade! ) else refund

can you switch to oasis??

One possibility is to take the refund from RCI and book a cruise out of Miami, its just a 40 minute shuttle from Fort Lauderdale. Or stay with FLL and sail with Celebrity or Princess. Good luck.

Edited by runner15km

Thanks guys,

think we will wait it out so and see what happens.

We dont get in to FL until midnight the sat night so it will need to be a sunday cruise really. :(

Fingers crossed we get the call sooner rather than later and get a good deal.

3 months to the wedding - this disaster was not in the plans!! ;)

If we were to change to princess or celebrity, which would be better? Exhausted myself researching for the allure cruise - not sure if i have it in me (or the time!) to start again! :confused:

Thanks guys,

We dont get in to FL until midnight the sat night so it will need to be a sunday cruise really. :(

If we were to change to princess or celebrity, which would be better? Exhausted myself researching for the allure cruise - not sure if i have it in me (or the time!) to start again! :confused:

I am so sorry.:( Don't give up though, you have options. Indy has a 6 day, Liberty has a 5 day or even Freedom (out of Port Canaveral) has a 7 day.

Look into your options and make them work with you! Good luck!

Thanks guys,

Independence is a great ship as an alternative!!! We love her!

Next size down to Allure.

Yes, wait for them to call. We have had a couple of canceled RCL cruises and we have had OBC for the inconvenience.

Good Luck!!

Just an FYI- what one cruise line- sees this unscheduled repair as an opportunity.

As a Travel Agency Owner- I received this message from "NCL- Norwegian Cruise Line" at 3:18 PM PST today:

Dear Kenneth B.,

We just received notice that the Allure of the Seas was cancelled for February 23rd, 2014 and a full refund has been offered to guests. Norwegian Cruise Line would love to support these displaced travelers who may be able to get a better cabin for the same or less money.

Our newest ship, Norwegian Getaway sails from Miami doing an eastern Caribbean itinerary on February 22nd. The lead in rate is currently $749.00

Also, Norwegian Epic, winner of Travel Weekly's Best Overall Ship two years running is sailing a western Caribbean itinerary with a lead in rate of $549.00

Travel Partners can also offer "perks" because our Cruise Event sale is on. Please contact us at sales@ncl.com or contact your BDM or BDS for further information.

Click here to view Norwegian Getaway 7-Day Eastern Caribbean, Round-trip Miami

Click here to view Norwegian Epic 7-Day Western Caribbean, Round-trip Miami

Click here to view our Cruise Event Week offer

I hope you agree that this is a great opportunity to introduce guests to Norwegian Cruise Line!!!

Best,

Camille Olivere

Senior Vice President Sales

Norwegian Cruise Line

Just an FYI- what one cruise line- sees this unscheduled repair as an opportunity.

As a Travel Agency Owner- I received this message from "NCL- Norwegian Cruise Line" at 3:18 PM PST today:

Dear Kenneth B.,

We just received notice that the Allure of the Seas was cancelled for February 23rd, 2014 and a full refund has been offered to guests. Norwegian Cruise Line would love to support these displaced travelers who may be able to get a better cabin for the same or less money.

Our newest ship, Norwegian Getaway sails from Miami doing an eastern Caribbean itinerary on February 22nd. The lead in rate is currently $749.00

Also, Norwegian Epic, winner of Travel Weekly's Best Overall Ship two years running is sailing a western Caribbean itinerary with a lead in rate of $549.00

Travel Partners can also offer "perks" because our Cruise Event sale is on. Please contact us at sales@ncl.com or contact your BDM or BDS for further information.

Click here to view Norwegian Getaway 7-Day Eastern Caribbean, Round-trip Miami

Click here to view Norwegian Epic 7-Day Western Caribbean, Round-trip Miami

Click here to view our Cruise Event Week offer

I hope you agree that this is a great opportunity to introduce guests to Norwegian Cruise Line!!!

Best,

Camille Olivere

Senior Vice President Sales

Norwegian Cruise Line

The vultures are circling.

Don't wait -- now is the time to call your agent or Royal and at least put another cruise or cruises on hold for a day or two so you can have choices. Word is just getting out about this and the longer you wait to at least hold something the harder it will be. With the number of people that were displaced the available cabins on other lines are going to be sucked up quickly.

Im so sorry about that I truly feel if they didn't solve this problem she break down eventually (just my feeling) so think of it as a blessing that she is getting all fixed up.

Now, I not sure when you will be getting married, if your getting married prior to that Saturday see if you can change to the Oasis. There is no reason that one has to go on their honeymoon right away, how about going the first week she gets back from the dry dock? I would consider this and make the call immediately if you feel this is a good solution, so that you can choose your cabin before others do.

I have been on NCL Breakaway this year, she was brand new and I hated her, out of all my 50 cruises that was my most disliked cruise of all, too many negatives we never will go again, she does give you the feeling that there too many on that ship, too crowded, but so many negatives, stick with RC.

I have to say you chose the best ship of RC so my advice is to adjust your honeymoon and remain to have it on the Allure. Granted, unfortunately this happened on your honeymoon cruise but think of it when you do cruise on her she be all fixed up and brand new just like your new marriage. ;)

Edited by lyndamr

I suspect that RCI will put some sort of offer to the passengers of the cancelled cruise that will attempt to entice them to not jump to another cruise line. In addition to the refund I would bet on some OBC or percentage off of a future cruise or the same week on a different ship.