passport waiting time

crusinsusan

We took our son on 1/28 to the USPS and the issued date on the passport we received was 2/3/17, received it on 2/8. No expedide requested but man that was fast!!

Edited by dsnutz
Typo

Got ours about 1 year ago and the passport website said 6 weeks. My wife had to have a passport because she changed her first name. SO we paid expedited processing on hers and she go it in a week and a half. I did not pay expedited on mine because mine was simple and straight forward and mine came a week after my wife's did. We did our application at the post office.

So the time that they show on the passport website is probably up to 6 weeks and you could get it anytime before then. You can also track the progress online and see its status when they receive the application. pending approval or needs more documentation to approved and then shows passport has shipped or mail to applicant.

About 6 weeks right now... per the US Postal Service website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/processing-times.html

It has always said 4-6 weeks on the websites. Its more like 10-14 days though and some even much quicker than that. When I got mine in 2008, it also said 6 weeks. It took about 8 business days.

I can tell you though that they are expecting a huge surge in passport renewals this year. Back in 2007 is when they did major changes in passport requirements and millions of people had to get passports. So now all those people are going to send in for renewals and they expect backlog to grow to months for approval. Get your passport application in now before the surge.

My family just sent in a bunch of new passport applications. New applications for adults and kids took about 2 weeks. I did expedited for my kids and got them back in one week. My passport was an adult renewal and I don't have it back yet, it has been 3 weeks.

I sent mine in for a name change and paid for them to overnight it back to me - that was 2 and half weeks before I had it back. My DH sent his in for renewal, without any overnight, and got it back the day after mine. Each was 2.5 weeks from mailing in on a Saturday with a federal holiday. Mine was issued on 1/31/17 his on 2/1/17.

10 Days for Renewal

DH & my new passports arrived today. We decided to apply for them now even though their expiry wasn't until September of this year in case of delays or other issues. Glad they are in hand, now just have to update GOES with our new #s.

New & Old

Was thrilled to get our old passports returned about a week or so after our renewals arrived. We have so many wonderful memories documented by all those passport stamps & visas....my favorite is the stamp we received when we crossed back into the US from the Yukon on our Alaska cruise- it's the steam engine of the White Pass Scenic Railway!

• 2 weeks later...

I overnighted my passport renewal on Feb 1, the check was cashed on Feb 10 and I received my new passport in the mail on Feb 14. That's a 2 week turnaround and I didn't pay for the expedited service. Very impressive!

FYI - I got my passport photos at Costco for about $5. The photo was really good!

Mailed my passport renewal on 2/3 by priority mail, my check was cashed on 2/9 but I have not received my passport as of yet. We are leaving on 4/13 so I'm hoping it will arrive soon!

Have you tracked the status of your renewal if there is a problem? Should be trackable online at this time.

What is the waiting time for a new passport after I apply?

Our daughters expired and we completed it at the post office and we received it in the mail exactly 2 weeks later. The entire application process had to be submitted, but not sure if it takes less time for renewal versus new one. Both wait times say 6 weeks.

My son applied for his passport on Feb 21st. Received it back March 2nd. We paid for expedited and express mailing both ways. Funny thing was we checked the Passport status website the morning of March 2nd and it stated the passport was in the final stages of processing and would be mailed out March 4th. Checked the mail when I got home that same day and the passport was there. Signed up for email updates and still have not received notice passport was received for processing.