Pacific Dawn. Man overboard!!

Neicy& Ron

It has just been reported that at 5am today (Tuesday 13th Jan) a man overboard alarm was raised on the Pacific Dawn.

A passenger on the ship rang 3AW ( a Melbourne talkback radio station ) and reported the details of the captains address to the passengers.

The ship anchored and launched rescue craft and recovered the person some 45 minutes after the alarm was raised.

This is the last thing I want to hear when my son is going on PD on Sunday on his first holiday without mum & dad:eek:.

I hope the guy is ok. Wonder what happened. Usually, when people go overboard it is either suicide or drunken stupor.

Oh Dear Thank Goodness wasnt our cruise which was New Years Eve Cruise. But as i stated in my review i had the utmost respect for the captain and his crew and and their abilities. Well Done :D

Hi all, I have been on board Pacific Sky when a man jumped overboard. he too was rescued alive.

the sad truth about these events are that the people involved are sick, suffering from depression or are blind drunk.

the man who jumped on my cruise had a medical condition (bi-polar), did not take his medications on the cruise, had a few too many drinks, argued with his girlfriend, and went overboard.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

He didn't want to miss out on his cheap grog:p;)

Well, hhhmmm we sail this Sunday, you'll recognize us as we board hubby will be the one with a rubber duckie around his waist and floaties on his arms LOL ;) he's already told us all that he's sleeping with his life jacket on!!! that should make for some interesting evenings...:o LOL no we're not honeymooners! Nett.

Yes very sad.

On our recent cruise on Rhapsody, the captain said that it was impossible to jump overboard without jumping or being assisted.

He did tell of one lady who jumped over on one of his cruises and she was very happy to be rescued and decided after all it wasn't the thing to do.

Got an email from someone on the ship this morning.

"Drama 5am this morning. Man overboard, turned around, flares, everyone up top looking, lucky beggar was found in the front of the ship. Rescue boat just got to him in time. Fight with girlfriend so stormed off and jumped. He will be flying home today from Vila I would say. He will also be 'flagged' as not permitted to cruise with any cruiseline. Then a girl collapsed up top, maybe his girlfriend we think, so they are both in the medical centre,. Wonder how long it will take to get on the news".

Edited by samushy

From a cruise newsletter I received this afteroon:

Passenger abandons ship

P&O CRUISES AUSTRALIA HAS CONFIRMED THAT A 22-

year old passenger was successfully rescued

after he jumped from the Pacific Dawn in

waters about 20 miles off Vila this morning.

A crew member raised the alarm and

deployed a lifeboat after the man went

overboard at around 5am.

He was rescued within 45 minutes.

I suspect a case of too many drinks last night.

Cheers

Bob

It is on SMH. We read about it earlier today.

We also had this happen on Pacific Sky in March 2004. We were in the Movie Theatre at the time when the sirens went and the call was made "Man Overboard" - Nearly everyone in the theatre jumped the seats and ran out to run up on deck to see what was happening.

Hubby & I could not quite work out what was going on. The next morning the rumour mill started. It was a very similar story to the one that a previous poster wrote... perhaps we were on the same cruise.

It is on SMH. We read about it earlier today.

We also had this happen on Pacific Sky in March 2004. We were in the Movie Theatre at the time when the sirens went and the call was made "Man Overboard" - Nearly everyone in the theatre jumped the seats and ran out to run up on deck to see what was happening.

Hubby & I could not quite work out what was going on. The next morning the rumour mill started. It was a very similar story to the one that a previous poster wrote... perhaps we were on the same cruise.

Hi Mishym, yes it was probably the same cruise.

we were between Lifou and the Isle of pines at night..in the shipping channel.

it took the ship a while to slow down,and turn around carefully.because of the coral reefs everywhere.

people had been throwing the white plastic lounge chairs overboard. and the ship followed them back. sent out a small boat and found him clinging to one of the chairs...

kind regards, Lorraine:):)