Buying stock in princess

gullcruiser

Could someone tell me what perks you gain if you buy stock in Princess? I believe it is CUK and listed under Carnival, is that correct. I also heard that you need to buy 100 shares for any perks, and I am just curious as to what the perks are. Would they apply to a cruise that is already booked?

Thanks for any help with this, and have a great Holiday!

Could someone tell me what perks you gain if you buy stock in Princess? I believe it is CUK and listed under Carnival, is that correct. I also heard that you need to buy 100 shares for any perks, and I am just curious as to what the perks are. Would they apply to a cruise that is already booked?

Thanks for any help with this, and have a great Holiday!

Yes, you must own at least 100 shares of CCL (Carnival Corporation & Plc) in order to get the benefits. This is not to be confused with purchasing shares of Carnival Cruise Lines, which Carnival Corporation & Plc owns in addition to Holland America, Cunard, Seabourn, P&O, etc., etc. You get the benefits on any of their cruiselines. Here's a link to Investor Relations and a description of the benefits and how to obtain them: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NDIyNzh8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

There are other posts on this But it is Carnival (CLL), 100 shares and you get $250.00 in cruise credits so yes its worth it and CLL is climbing and a reccommended buy. Youre choice as to buy or not.
Actually, you get $250 on onboard credits ONLY if you are on a cruise 14+ days. The onboard credit ranges from $50 - $250, depending on the length of the cruise.

Also, this perk is per cabin. You cannot each purchase 100 shares and expect to get double the onboard credit. You will make a stock investment with the 2nd 100 shares but not get the credit.

Edited by Pam in CA

We purchased our 100 shares of CCL just a week prior to our Hawaii RT and received the $250 OBC. Have since received two more $100 OBCs for additional cruises. Stock has also appreciated almost $1250. That's about a 50% return in less that 15 months. At a close of $46.30/share today your return will not be as great but if you cruise often on one or more of the Carnival brands you should still get a reasonable return on your investment.

The perks apply to any cruise booked or not and can be used for Tips, trips or trashy souvineirs. Funny I was answering the same time as you Pam.
The CCL Shareholders benefit can be applied for after final payment is made on a booked cruise. It will show as a positive credit on your onboard account.
  • Thanks 1

If you qualify for the ex-military OBC, it is the same as owning the shares for Princess, but evidently not for the other Carnival cruise lines. And it can't be combined with the stock OBC.

Do a search for military OBC threads. Some of the later ones will mention that you can now combine the CCL stock OBC with the Military OBC. I have confirmations from Liza/Princess that both OBCs are credited to my cruises in Jan, Feb and March. In early December I sent emails with required documentation for both types of OBC and received confirmations within hours that I had the OBCs.

Edited by coo359a2

• 2 years later...
There are other posts on this But it is Carnival (CLL), 100 shares and you get $250.00 in cruise credits so yes its worth it and CLL is climbing and a reccommended buy. Youre choice as to buy or not.

It's CCL not CLL

• 3 years later...
I have just found out that I can buy stocks and receive OBC by doing this, are these credits added to what I have already?

A new member to Cruise Critic.

Yes.

Also, for clarification, one of the posters above stated that the OBC can't be used for gratuities, etc. He was incorrect. ALL of your OBC goes into a "pot" and charges are deducted daily using non-refundable credit first. Refundable credit is used up last and if any is left after the cruise :rolleyes:, you'll receive a check in about a month. Watch your mail carefully, the check looks like junk mail.

It me it sounds like a no-brainier, We have cruised often Platinum member with Princess, and we have another trip planned for March 2017. So I can apply my saving to that. Why not invest into something I like doing?

It me it sounds like a no-brainier, We have cruised often Platinum member with Princess, and we have another trip planned for March 2017. So I can apply my saving to that. Why not invest into something I like doing?

Its definitely not a no brainer. It's an investment of around $4,600 right now plus fees. It's 52 week high is $55.77. You need to not be dazzled by the OBC and make your mind up if that $4,600 can do better elsewhere. If you cruise a few times a year, yes, it can probably be a good deal depending on what you bought it at but definitely not a no brainer.

Whether it is not a "no brainer" as you put it is dependent on when you buy the shares and how often you cruise. I bought 100 shares in 2008 at approx £20 (UK). Since then I have cruised an average of at least four cruises per year and taking into account all the dividends and $250's I have collected on the way, for me it has been a very sound investment and I intend to hang on to them until such time that I can no longer cruise, and then I cash them in and take the profits. So you see, for me, it is a "no brainer"

Whether it is not a "no brainer" as you put it is dependent on when you buy the shares and how often you cruise. I bought 100 shares in 2008 at approx £20 (UK). Since then I have cruised an average of at least four cruises per year and taking into account all the dividends and $250's I have collected on the way, for me it has been a very sound investment and I intend to hang on to them until such time that I can no longer cruise, and then I cash them in and take the profits. So you see, for me, it is a "no brainer"

isn't that what I said? depends on what you buy it at and how often you can cruise to take advantage of the benefit. Going out to spend $4,600 to get $100 OBC should have some thought behind it.

Not sure how you manage your funds, but between the actual CCL dividend and assuming at least one 7-10 day cruise a year that includes the shareholder benefit ($100), you will see a return of about 5%/yr. More or longer cruises means a higher %. No bank has anything near that at the present.

And you do not pay taxes on the shareholder credit.

It's a nice perk and also a smart loyalty program. A CCL itinerary is usually #1 in the list of trips we consider.

Edited by thinfool

I enjoy reading the rhetoric of the "self appointed investment advisors" who always chime in and say CCL is not a good choice of investments.

Since I learned how to count, I believe I will continue to ignore the "free" advice and continue to reap the rewards of my investment in this stock. I have nothing at risk since I have recovered more than my original investment.

I enjoy reading the rhetoric of the "self appointed investment advisors" who always chime in and say CCL is not a good choice of investments.

Since I learned how to count, I believe I will continue to ignore the "free" advice and continue to reap the rewards of my investment in this stock. I have nothing at risk since I have recovered more than my original investment.

I'm not saying it's a bad stock to buy. I'm saying do your homework before buying it strictly for OBC. It's a perk that could change at any time and become uncombinable like RCL. And I do work in the financial industry ;)

We bought CCL about 3 years ago when it was $28.00 US a share. It's now $46.00 a share. In that time we have received about $1300.00 in OBC, and we have 2 more cruises booked that will get us $250.00 more for each. Plus the stock has payed a small dividend each quarter. Not bad we think. I wish we had that kind of return on all our investments.