The "MUST" pack on a cruise

Glade air freshener (the little cone kind that sits on the counter) to keep in the very small bathroom you have to share with your hubby...need I say more?

An empty handled shopping bag (like big dept stores give you) to pack all of your souveniers in to carry off the ship at the end of the cruise. If you're like me - you pack your suitcase full and once that stuff is worn - it takes up more room. Throw a ziplock baggie in there as well for any wet stuff that may leak.

Edited by KI Cruiser

Too many clothes because I thought I had to have a cute outfit per day plus my dress for each night for dinner. Ya this time I'm bringing half of what I did on first cruise haha

Please do not apply this to underwear gents. I usually pack 1.5 times needed just to be safe (rounding up). So for 7 day cruise I pack 11 underwear. Just my 2 cents.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yep. I drop it off the night before we reach our first foreign port and ask them to get it stamped for me. The alway smile and say no problem. The last night they call me and leave a letter in the room reminding me to pick it up that night.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk

What a great idea! I had no idea you could do this. Thanks for the heads up . Wish I had known this for our Australian cruise.

A zip up canvas bag to use when walking around ports-its secure with the zipper so things don't fall out and hands don't reach in and it's comfortable on your shoulder especially when it's hot!

Am I the only one who flies in? Doesn't a power strip and a fan add too much weight. Luggage prices are crazy.

Carnival Fascination July 8, 2013

I don't take a fan but I've seen small ones less than a pound. We do take a power strip and an extension cord. They don't weigh too much and we need them for hubby's CPAP. We still only take one checked bag each and one carryon backpack each, no matter how long the cruise. We've done 26 day cruise plus hotel stays with that.

• 3 weeks later...

BROUGHT AND USED:

-Clothes pins were used numerous times. Wet suit and also for leaving a note and a little tip for the guy cleaning the room.

-Travel alarm clock was a MUST! Couldn't imagine if I didn't have it.

-Air freshener in bathroom.

-A bottle to fill up with water was my best friend.

-Sunscreen(brig a lot!!!) and aloe.

-A book

SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT:

-The travel fan I bought that was forgot and not packed lol

-Men: an extra hat for swimming or getting wet. (Caribbean sun is brutal)

-Mesh bag for dirty clothes(to keep separate from clean clothes coming home.

Great suggestions! I have always taken way too much, and this past cruise was no exception. I TRY to pare down, but just keep thinking, "What if I need.....?"

Next time I am going bare necessities, and take a little extra money...LOL I can buy an extra t-shirt if I need it in a port, etc. It is getting beyond ridiculous to lug so much luggage, for me anyway! I normally have taken a packed to the gills 24" bag and a carryon tote also packed to the gills, and a purse. I bring home several things I never wore, and many gadgets and little things I never used.

Freedom with less to worry about, plus more room to bring things home if I want to....that is my new plan for October!

• 1 month later...

These are just a few of the things we like to take when we cruise, that we HAVE used. We have also taken a lot of things that have been listed on this forum that we didn't use, but these are our favorite must haves:

Lanyards for our sail & sign cards (I usually bring a hole punch & that is the first thing I do when we get our cards)

A light backpack to carry our towels, sunscreen, books, etc to the pool every day & ashore.

A waterproof pouch that my husband clipped inside his bathing suit for our ID's, S&S cards, money or any other valuables we didn't want to leave on the beach when we were snorkeling.

Clothes pins - Carnival has the clothes line in the bathroom - and these were great for pinning up our wet suits to dry every night.

A large insulated cup w/a flip lid for both of us. We filled it at the buffet w/tea, juice or whatever, every morning - saved lots of trips to get refils, and those little cups at the buffet just don't last long, and are easily spilled. We even took them on some excursions so we would have cold water. (We don't drink a lot of alcohol, so we aren't the ones at the pool spending $$$ on drinks)

A pop up hamper for dirty clothes.

Zip lock bags of various sizes. Great for keeping things dry, etc.

A cheap, light-weight towel for each person to carry ashore. Yes, you can carry Carnival's beach towels, but they are SO heavy! We just take a small cheap one, that is light weight in our backpack - and it is so much easier.

More than 1 pair of flip flops! I did this on last trip, trying to pack light. I took my pair off to snorkel & left them on the beach. The tide came in while we were snorkeling & carried ONE of them off. Never found it. Luckily I had a pair of water shoes in my backpack or I would have been hobbling back to the ship w/one shoe!

The "toe-shoes" for water shoes are a pain! Too hard to get on & off when your feet are wet!

A hat with a wide brim is a must-have to me when I'm sitting on the deck by the pool. That sun is hot! Its a good idea for it to have a chin-tie too - because the wind gets pretty brisk & it will blow off.

A light sweater - I always get cold in the theaters, and the dining room.

A small purse is nice to carry at night to dining room to put my S&S card in, camera, lipstick, etc. It kind of messes up the "effect" to put on a nice dress & put your lanyard around your neck!

We take some of the other things mentioned in this forum - but these were things we found very useful on our trip last year. We will be taking all of these things again for our trip in January.

Edited by 2Okies

• 1 month later...

Just added to my list:

Anker 5 port USB port power charger.

Handles up to 5 devices depending on load and has a short cord so that it doesn't block up multiple plugs...

http://rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=visualbasicres02&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B00DVH62J2

I have a binder that has all docs in it, copies of PP, list of excursions, reservations etc. I try to keep the daily Compass and make notes for future info. I have a binder for each cruise we've took. An over the door shoe holder for all the grab and go items. Stick-em notes come in handy if you need to leave a message/request for your room attendant. And the most important item, my DH!! ;)

I also bring a binder like Alamagirl, with plastic see through pages including shore excursions, on board Cruise Critic events, flights, private car pick ups and so on.

Apart from passports, drivers licenses don't forget any medications, first aid stuff, band aids, neosporin, pepto bismal you can buy this stuff on the ship but, it is pretty expensive.

I also love to bring my trusty pair of binoculars. I love scouting the horizon for distant ships, whales and ufo's.

Jonathan

• 3 years later...
Please do not apply this to underwear gents. I usually pack 1.5 times needed just to be safe (rounding up). So for 7 day cruise I pack 11 underwear. Just my 2 cents.

Yes undies were not meant to be in the too many outfits :)

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Forums mobile app