Infinity stuck in Falklands

ghstudio

Infinity visited the Falkland islands today and apparently the refueling tender hit one of the lifeboat davit/lifts and damaged it….so it can’t be retracted and they can’t pick up the last lifeboat. The decision has been made to leave the lifeboat here, and theoretically secure the davit. We were supposed to leave at 6PM. It is now 9:30 and there are 8-10 men on deck under the huge davit but no one working on it. It is apparently unsafe to travel with the davit that way….so we are, for the time being, stuck….in a port with no facilities...and this doesn't look like something that can be repaired onboard....it's a very large boom.

Not sure how this is going to work itself out…but it isn’t looking good. We await further word from the captain.

Oh My! I hope they can fix it and you continue on without too much more interruption or delay. I also hope the repairs do not impact the next sailing as I will be there.

If you have any pictures of the damage, please post them.

davit was finally raised and secured at about 3:30am and we find the ship already on it's way to anarctica this morning when we woke up at 6am.

Turned out to be just a delay...but it looks like the problem is resolved (although we do have one less lifeboat).

davit was finally raised and secured at about 3:30am and we find the ship already on it's way to anarctica this morning when we woke up at 6am.

Turned out to be just a delay...but it looks like the problem is resolved (although we do have one less lifeboat).

Antarctica is so amazing and beautiful...enjoy it! We were on 30 days Azamara Antarctica last year...the silence is amazing except for the whales...an orca pod came right up to our balcony practically and did a peck wave at us...keep your camera and video handy...things pop up quick...we usually were on deck at 6 am and saw lots others did not....snowed one day and it was only us and 1 crew member...when the rest of the ship awake, the snow had stopped...

Thanks for the update! So happy to see the issue is resolved for now and you are on your way.

Let us know if you hear when and how Celebrity will actually repair the davit and get the lifeboat back and operating?

I'm happy to hear you are on your way again. Since there is no planned stop in the Falklands on the next two sailings, I do wonder when they will pick up the lifeboat that was left behind. I doubt they will return to Miami without it. I expect we should look for some itinerary change on our March 2nd sailing.

I'm happy to hear you are on your way again. Since there is no planned stop in the Falklands on the next two sailings, I do wonder when they will pick up the lifeboat that was left behind. I doubt they will return to Miami without it. I expect we should look for some itinerary change on our March 2nd sailing.

Before they can pick the boat up, I'd guess that the davit needs to be repaired.

Plus shipping a lifeboat to the cruise ship is likely far easier and more economical than shipping the cruise ship to the lifeboat. :p But you never know.... I'd enjoy a side trip / rescue!

Edited by A Sixth?

Here are my thoughts without really knowing the technicalities of davit repair.:D

It would be logical for them to repair the davit in BA, but they may need a part or two, or maybe even a new davit depending on the damage, which might have to be flown in to BA along with the proper repairmen.

I don't know how they would send the life boat back to BA though. It would make more sense for our itinerary (the next cruise BA to VAL) to be altered and for us to pick it up in the Falklands.

Perhaps in a day or two ghstudio will be able to post some more information, until then we can all speculate on what Celebrity will do.

It was fortunate for them that the ship was not fully booked for this sailing and they were able to continue on. The passenger load on our sailing may determine where we pick up the lifeboat. Whatever, they still make the bed and do the dishes.