Ginger Root for sea sickness

Yes, I take ginger capsules for sea sickness. On my first two cruises I took the pills they give out on the ship and they made me sleep all the time!:( Who wants to go on a cruise and sleep? Anyway, I read about ginger and tried taking two capsules with every meal beginning with lunch after boarding. It really works! It helps with digestion after eating too.

Kaki

Mythbusters is a great show! The ginger pills work wonderfully. We also get Altoids Ginger lozenges, which seem to help quell nausea. For our Alaska cruise leaving 6/5, I've stocked up on some other ginger candies (from Trader Joe's!) as well. Never have had to use the medication that makes you sleepy :o)

We also take the candied ginger on our cruises. You can buy it at Fresh Market where the bagged herb & spice section is at. Or you can make it by peeling ginger root and slice it thinly, about 1/4 inch thick, then boil the ginger in sugar water. After ginger has softened, toss in a bowl of sugar and lay on a cooling wire rack to dry. Store in ziploc bag. (Of course it is much easier and cheaper to just buy the candied ginger.)

The candied ginger would be better if you have children than the pills.

I also read that ginger ale works, if it is made with real ginger.

The sea-sickness pills will make you so sleepy. So avoid them if necessary.

We always keep some candied ginger available in the glove box of our small aircraft (Cessna 182) to ward off airsickness. It works! IMHO, candied ginger works better than ginger flavored Altoids, although it's more expensive.

- Richard

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a suggestion for ginger without sugar. Many people have health conditions that do not permit sugar but would prefer the natural ginger product. Does the pickled ginger used with Sushi work too? Thanks for any assistance.

Fran

Does anyone have a suggestion for ginger without sugar. Many people have health conditions that do not permit sugar but would prefer the natural ginger product. Does the pickled ginger used with Sushi work too? Thanks for any assistance.

Fran

I use 500 mg. caps of pure ginger that I get from the health food store. No sugar. I take 1 or 2 caps with food 3 x per day beginning with first meal after I board the ship. I can usually taper off after a couple days as I get used to the motion.

It works as well as the pills they give on the ship and without the side effect of sleeping.

Thanks for the wonderful, speedy reply. I am off to the health food store as I don't have to wait for my next cruise for nausea to hit. I will try it before.

Fran

• 4 weeks later...

For seasickness, my doctor told me about this remedy. He was a Navy corpman before medical school. He says it is all in your head anyway. TAPE AN ASPIRIN IN YOUR BELLY BUTTON!

• 3 weeks later...
For seasickness, my doctor told me about this remedy. He was a Navy corpman before medical school. He says it is all in your head anyway. TAPE AN ASPIRIN IN YOUR BELLY BUTTON!

Doesn't sound like a very intellegent doctor. The innner ear can be affected by the motion. what happens is your body feels the motion but your eyes don't see it- this confuses your senses and can cause nausea.

I cannot ride those ride simulators or see movies like "Blair Witch" for reverse reason (Your eyes see motion but your body is still- thus causing internal confusion) I have always gotten car sick as child and turn green on small boats. Motion sickness does exist and is a scientific fact- If I were you I would change doctors fast and report this peson to the AMA.

I don't trust doctors that call patients Liars. Just because they don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. this doctor sounds like a fool to me.

I have always used Dramamine but have heard about ginger-- thanks for the reminder I will get some today.

I have to sort of agree with BAX.... If you don't have a medical problem and you don't normally suffer motion sickness, you probably won't get seasick.

It has been my experience that those who think they will get seasick - do.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on my first cruise last year and since I have always been prone to motion sickness (I get nausiated on a swing set :( ) I got the patch from my doctor. I didn't really like the side effects, I felt a little bit spacey and did have blurred vision on the last day. Even with the patch there was an afternoon I felt seasick.

My question is, do you think the ginger pills would be stong enough for even someone like me who is prone to motion sickness very much? I did go to GNC and purchase some for my cruise next month but am wondering if I should take the patches again just in case.

Thanks for your advise! :)

I agree with Pat 100%...I am the same....no simulators or roller coasters, back seats in cars.....if a doctor told me "it's all in your head" I would be so outta there in a flash....

This trip on 9/16 yeahh...I bought Wal Mart ginger.. but I searched Publix this last week for candy...no luck...I bought ginger cookies since I saw this on one other post, plus I love cookies;) I did not see Altoids...

Any other suggestions? I have Walmart, Publix, Taget...

Last cruise was so smooth, I had no problem, just don't want to push my luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Ginger gum is available also...can't remember just where I picked that up-I think maybe CVS Pharmacy. Also, I picked up some candied Ginger from a Candy Store....I had all the remedies lined up-from the Ginger to the Bodine and lastly-the Patch. I was very fortunate-and needed nothing. :D I am hoping to be as lucky this go round in Dec. on the Jewel!!!! Susie

I have heard Ginger Root prevents sea sickness. Has anyone ever tried this? Do these pills work?

Yes, it works. I got seasick on an inland boat (not even a cruise), and was so sick I thought I was going to die. My friend had some ginger root pills, gave them to me, and we have a running joke about how she "saved my life". I have tried several different methods to prevent sea sickness (the patch, the wrist bands, dramamine- tried them all), and the ginger pills work best for me.

I am with you guys...I usually take the patch with me..but the side effects are sometimes bothersome...but afraid the ginger won't work...maybe I will bring both!

While sailing on the QM2 last April, after dinner, candied ginger was always brought to the table with coffee and dessert. I must say I felt fine throughout the cruise-and it was a 6 day transatlantic voyage.