Leaving a cruise early

zzrobot

Just found out that leaving a cruise and flying home from a Carribean port is not allowed anymore, unless its emergency. My daughter has to leave a 8 day Xmas cruise a few days early for work. My problem is , I have arranged flights for her already from a port and paid for the cruise. What would happen when we leave in the morning at the port and tell the cruise she is not coming back, she will have her luggage, passport and air documents to show them.

Last year on a Royal cruise, my son left early for work,from a port. I had written permission beforehand from Royal Carribean.

Just found out that leaving a cruise and flying home from a Carribean port is not allowed anymore, unless its emergency. My daughter has to leave a 8 day Xmas cruise a few days early for work. My problem is , I have arranged flights for her already from a port and paid for the cruise. What would happen when we leave in the morning at the port and tell the cruise she is not coming back, she will have her luggage, passport and air documents to show them.

Last year on a Royal cruise, my son left early for work,from a port. I had written permission beforehand from Royal Carribean.

Who told you that it wasn't allowed? People do it all the time and I've never heard of any problems. If you've talked to Carnival call them back and speak to a supervisor.

That seems odd. She paid her cruise fare, and she should be able to leave early. Even though it sounds like a SIN:rolleyes::D

Worst, case, she missed the ship and is not coming back on board.

I would call Carnival, but am thinking it shouldn't be an issue. Have a great cruise!!!!

We were told similar information by Carnival last year. We were planning to marry in Grand Cayman and wanted to cruise with our Mothers, then they would carry on with the ship after the ceremony during our port stop, and we would stay in GC. We were told this was not permitted.

I had someone on my miracle to hawaii cruise who planned on leaving the ship in hawaii and had been told it was allowed and they booked nonrefundable airfare.

Now they were told that this policy has changed and they will not be allowed to leave the ship and booked airfare from NZ or maybe it Australia. They are crying because the daughter needs to be somewhere and they cant afford the change on their credit cards, so much else has gone wrong (because of our TA)... and now Carnival says oh we changed our policy, sorry, but nope, you cant get off and get on your nonrefundable flight we previously said you could

It would be a shame if she got off the ship with a carryon and passport and missed boarding time back on the ship. ;) I guess she would just have to find a way to the airport and have her mother pack up the stuff she left behind.

Edited by chicaletta

It would be a shame if she got off the ship with a carryon and passport and missed boarding time back on the ship. ;) I guess she would just have to find a way to the airport and have her mother pack up the stuff she left behind.

They both have $2000 flights home. It would be expensive to now have to book a flight from calif to new zealand. They are flying in a week early, so Im betting for a 15 day cruise and a week or two in Vancouver Canada they have a few suitcases that might be obvious taking them off the ship in Hawaii.

Sorry, I am not buying this....you paid for a cruise, not a 7 day sentence on a prison barge.

Are there details missing from this story?

With proper documents and permission from the port authorities, Carnival, or any other cruise line would be hard pressed to keep you onboard.

Someone isn't getting the message, either the people on the phone at Carnival or their supervisors. Making things up on the fly.

Recently there was a couple on the Legend in Europe who left the ship to fly home to California where their home was destroyed in one of the recent wildfires.

I had someone on my miracle to hawaii cruise who planned on leaving the ship in hawaii and had been told it was allowed and they booked nonrefundable airfare.

Did this cruise originate in Long Beach? Closed loop? If yes, it was an obvious PVSA issue.

If this was it, someone at Carnival should be shot for telling the pax they could leave the ship in Hawaii.

There are certain laws governing cruises that does not allow passengers leaving at another port of call other that the port of embarkation. Fines are accessed on passengers for this an Carnival will pass those along to the guest.

You are thinking of the PVSA. This only pertains to passengers boarding in one US city and debarking in another US city w/o stopping at a distant foreign port. The OP does not state where they are leaving from, but does say they want to get off at a Caribbean port. If they came back and told us what the 2 ports are it would help.

Gregg

Did this cruise originate in Long Beach? Closed loop? If yes, it was an obvious PVSA issue.

If this was it, someone at Carnival should be shot for telling the pax they could leave the ship in Hawaii.

No, its the Miracle sept 17, 2013, from Vancouver to hawaii and then ends in Calif.

Thats why I said they were going to spend time in Vancouver first, its a TA.

In fact they were told more than once they could get off in Hawaii by folks at Carnival.

As I stated above, they were told that Carnival CHANGED THEIR POLICY, so its not a matter of law, its a matter than Carnival decided to quit allowing it they told these mom and daughter.

Edited by firefly333

Thanks, Maxiecat3, I could not remember the name of the law. Here is a link that explains the law. It has nothing to do with modern security concerns but an old law designed to protect American flagged ships ( it worked really well).

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I am US citizen I told them that we had passport. We were getting on the ship in San Juan we wanted to get off in St. Thomas but they started to be a pain that I said forget about it. And this was on Celebrity.

I hope it works out for you.

The Jones act forbids leaving a ship if it was 2 US ports. There would be a 300.00 fine imposed. But, My daughter ship originates from Miami, and she would leave from Curacao. Carnival phone rep today told me they change the rule May 2013 forbidding leaving....

Curacao is a distant foriegn port under the Passenger Vessel Service Act so it does not apply so I would be acting Carnival to explain there policy. I did see in the cruise contract were disembarking at another port is not allowed.

From Carnival's cruise contract:

(e) Guest acknowledges that, for a voyage commencing in a United States port for a round-trip voyage via one or more United States ports, Guest must complete the voyage and disembark at the embarkation port. Failure to do so may result in a fine or penalty being imposed by the United States Customs Service or other governmental agency. In consideration for the fare paid, Guest agrees to pay any such fine or penalty imposed because of Guest's failure to complete the voyage.

Your are leaving from a US port, but as 2e of their contract says, you must complete the voyage IF IT IS VIA ONE OR MORE US PORTS. If your cruise is on the Breeze, you are not visiting another US port (GT, DR, Curacao & Aruba). Call back and tell them they need to follow their own contract. You are allowed to leave the ship early.

Gregg

Is her job so important she can't get a few days off during the holidays? I don't know when this cruise was booked, but obviously a bit ago. There's still 3 1/2 months yet till you go.

As long as she holds a valid passport it may be allowed depending on the port of debarkation. Traveling with only a birth certificate could be problematic under these circumstances. You will need to communicate with Carnival in advance though because they are responsible for the ship's manifest to the port authorities in each port and to Department of Homeland Security in the U.S. upon return. And you will need to work with them so you will be notified if something happens and the port that your dd plans to leave in is cancelled for some reason. Call Carnival's Guest Solutions Desk in advance, and they can advise you. They should be familiar with any applicable laws. Guest Services Sailing Support or Guest Solutions should be able to answer your questions. There are some odd protectionist laws about debarking ships.

Have a great cruise.

Part of the problem could be how each of the ports handle visiting cruise passengers. Most expect that cruise passengers are in transit and not staying overnight or longer. And therefore remain under the authority of Carnival and not the island government.

The new Carnival guarantee keeps the debarking passenger under the "control" of Carnival, so this situation doesn't really apply. But I can't see how this would be prohibited given that people do miss the ship and have to fly home all the time. Of course maybe when that happens the passenger is still under the control of the local Carnival port agent.

Definitely contact CCL Support.

Is her job so important she can't get a few days off during the holidays? I don't know when this cruise was booked, but obviously a bit ago. There's still 3 1/2 months yet till you go.

There are a lot of jobs that are very difficult, if not next to impossible to get time off around the Christmas holidays. My DD and I are just 2 examples of that problem. In addition, why do you think it is any of your business to ask about her job and it's importance??

Gregg

There are a lot of jobs that are very difficult, if not next to impossible to get time off around the Christmas holidays. My DD and I are just 2 examples of that problem. In addition, why do you think it is any of your business to ask about her job and it's importance??

Gregg

I just asked a random question. I'm sure there has been a few here with the same question, but didn't dare post it.

Spoke again with Carvival, they do not allow it. The problem if you just leave at the port, this one would be Aruba, and fly home is that customs will give you problems. You came by a ship, that ship controls you custom wise, and they will not release you and communicate that to Aruba customs. Big headaches.

Interesting , I called Royal, and they still do allow it.

My daughter will stay for the whole cruise. Delta charged 200.00 to change a one way ticket, highway robbers........